Denial Used to Feel So Good

Right Now You Need To Help Me

As the night wore down, our table started getting less and less popular, while Cobra Starship and The Academy Is...had a pretty steady flow. Not to say that I minded, because I didn't. My wrists were killing me. I've never been so bored with my own name ever.

When there was a lull, I excused myself to go get something from the vending machine and took orders from my band, along with anyone else who wanted something. I squeezed my way out of the signing room with ten thousand little girls shouting at me 'cause I was 'budging'. Eventually I made it to the safety of the hallway and searched for the nearest vending machine. I located one and rummaged through my pockets for stray cash.

"Kyle!"

I spun around as the machine ate up my two dollars and smiled politely at William, "Hey Bill. How did you escape from there without getting raped?" I marveled, pointing back to the room he had just come out of.

"I took the back way?" He asked.

"Ah," I nodded, "I didn't think of that. That's far too logical." He laughed and I pushed in the right code for a Snickers.

"It's crazy in there." He said, trying to make conversation, I assumed.

I snorted in approval, "Most definitely. I think we got it easy. You guys and Cobra Starship are going to get carpal tunnel."

He laughed, "Yeah, It's-"

"Kyle!"

I looked over my shoulder and my heart dropped, "Oh god." I mumbled quickly turning back to Bill.

"What?" He frowned, looking over my shoulder at the kid approaching us, "Who's that?"

"Uh, listen," I whispered, "remember when you said that you would do anything to make up for telling everyone we slept together?"

He nodded hesitantly, "Yes..."

"Well, right now you need to help me."

"Of course." He agreed quickly, "What can I do?"

I sighed, reluctant to ask him for this particular favor, but not able to think up any alternative options, "You need to pretend you're my boyfriend." I said with a grimace.

"Kyle!"

I spun around on my heels and backed instinctively into Bill, "Logan." I said stiffly, "What are you doing here?" I desperately reached back and grabbed William's hand, hoping that it would calm me down.

"I came here to see the show!" The boy who ruined my life laughed, "Look at you! I haven't seen you in years."

"Yeah." Don't I wish it would've stayed that way, "Uh, h-how did you know that I was...we were?"

"Oh! Kevin told me! He's still obsessed with you, you know. I never liked the kid, but he's good for information. I mean, he was right about you being here." He laughed again, not sensing my obvious distain. Logan's sharp eyes turned from me to Bill, "Who's your friend?" The happy attitude he had approached us with, faded away and the glare that had oh, so frequently been used on me was turned on William. Even though it wasn't directed at me, I still flinched. A glare, when we were going out (back when I was 18), was usually followed by some sort of degrading comment or physical abuse.

"This is William. He's my-"

"Boyfriend." Bill finished proudly, smiling as much as he could. He put an arm around my waist and stepped forward to shake Logan's hand.

"You're boyfriend?" Logan raised an eyebrow, "Huh..." He nodded contemplatively as he scrutinized Bill, "What happened to your face?" He questioned bluntly, "I mean, if you don't mind me asking."

"Bar fight." Bill answered simply.

"Oh." Logan said, smirking somewhat. He then turned his attention back to me, "So what have you been up to? Besides dating rockstars? Finally make something out of yourself?"

I bit the inside of my lip to keep from lashing out, "Huh, I guess you could say that. I mean, I have a job, my band is getting signed, and we're going to put out a record, so, yeah. I've made something out of myself. But enough about me, what about you? Are you still corrupting teenage girls and fucking everything in a skirt? Well, I suppose you're actually legal now, so I would think that smoking and drinking in your mom's basement is a thing of the past. You can do that in public now, but tell me, do you still bring your girls there to impress them?"

"You've always been a bitch, Kyle." He chuckled, "But you would've never talked to me like this before. You used to have some respect."

"Yeah, well all my respect for you went out the window when you beat the shit out of me and got me kicked out of my parent's house."

"I did not get you kicked out of your parent's house. You fucked that one up on your own." He pointed a finger at me and I could see he was starting to get angry.

"Oh, now don't be modest, please, take some of the credit. You deserve it." I rolled my eyes. I had no idea where all this confidence was coming from. Considering the fact that I was scared out of my wits to even be in the same building as the guy in front of me.

I felt a pull on my hand and looked back at William.

"Kyle, let's get out of here." I nodded, ready to go with him.

"Oh, and look at this guy!" Logan scoffed, "Who is this Kyle?"

"Jealous?" I spat, "You always were."

"It's not jealousy Kyle." Logan scoffed, "Please." He rolled his eyes, "Its disgust. I mean, really, you couldn't pick someone better than this guy?" He pointed at William and Bill tensed behind me.

"Come on, Kyle," William rolled his eyes, and then he did something completely unexpected. He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I was stunned, but too shocked to really even respond, "Let's just leave." He said pulling away after a second, "We've got to get back anyway-"

"Listen, William," Logan sneered his name, "There's really no point in being with Kyle. She'll never put out. She's a lost cause."

"Would you shut the fuck up?!" William finally yelled, stepping in front of me, "I don't care! You know absolutely nothing about Kyle-"

"Bill," I latched onto his arm and pulled him back; surprised by how personally he had taken that comment, "He's just saying that to get a rise out of you. Ignore him."

"Seriously, man, I'm doing you a favor," Logan laughed, "You're going to have to get your ass from somewhere else. I mean, that's what I did."

William lunged forward again, but I held him back, "William, don't...please. Let's-let's just go." I pushed William in the opposite direction. I quickly grabbed my Snickers from the vending machine and led William back towards the signing room.
♠ ♠ ♠
You had to know something was coming....
This is bad. I love drama.