Status: Completed!

No One Ever Realized That They're Already Dead

Sorrow Swallows My Screams... 15

[[June 30, 2008]] \Monday\

I gotta figure something out. This thing with Matt is driving me crazy. I barely want to go out, or talk, and my mind is making me dizzy. It’s just got me really down lately. Luckily or maybe unluckily my thoughts are interrupted.

“Nice board.”

I look up from staring at the pavement and to the speaker of the voice. Some kid. He looked around my age or Damien’s (9/10). He wasn’t cute or anything. Uncombed, short dark brown hair that stuck out in some places. Dark brown eyes that were hidden behind glasses. He was cubby too. I remember him now, not his name but of him. He was in my grade, but most likely didn’t jump a grade. He’s picked on a whole lot for being fat. He was loner. He looked like a nerd too, like one that wanted to stay in on a sunny day and read books. However… mom said never judge a book by its cover.

I’m putting my faith on you with this one, mom.

“Thanks,” I nod in regards to his comment. “Who you waiting for?”

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“Well, why are you still at school even though its over?”

“Why are you?”

I don’t comment back and we just stare at each other. Me on my board, him on the ground. Total opposites. Yin and Yang.

Then I smile and I can tell it shocks him. “You seem ok,” I tell him making him more shocked. “Wanna go to the skate park?”

“I can’t skate,” he says in an embarrassed voice.

I shrug. “Doesn’t matter. I can get a board for rent and gear and you can try.” I take a look at his face and change my mind. “Or not… actually I’m a little hungry. I know this nice old lady that owns a place on the beach. She always let’s me and siblings eat free cause she just puts it on my dad’s tab. What do you think?”

He smiles and nods. “Sounds cool.”

I hope off my board then lean down, grabbing it and holding it to my side. “I’m Ivory.”

“Sam.”

I just nod and start our walk. It’s silent for the beginning but I start throwing some questions out there, he answers, and then throws some back and I answer. And by the time we reach the place, we’re laughing and joking with each other.

I think I made a friend… and I might just trust him enough to keep him.

\ ♠ ♠ [[Fast Forward]] ♠ ♠ \

“Where the hell have you been!?”

I jump and manage to hold in my yelp at Matt’s angry voice. I look up at him and slowly close the door and move a little bit away from it.

“Well?” he asks impatiently, arms folded across his chest.

“I- I was at the b-beach,” I stutter.

“The beach?” His brows rose. “It’s almost 5:30. School gets out at 2:50. Not only did you not check in with me, you didn’t have your cell phone.”

My hand instantly goes to my back pocket but I freeze when I don’t feel it and then wince a little when Matt pulls it out of his.

“Do you have any idea how worried I was?” he frowns.

“I’m sorry,” I mutter lowly.

“What was that?”

I sigh and look way up at him. “I said I’m sorry. I just forgot.”

His jaw locks, making him look more scary. I take a small step back. One more step back and my back will hit the door. Matt’s expression suddenly softens as he takes a deep breath.

“You were just at the beach?” he asks. “I know you weren’t surfing. You’re boards here.”

I nod. “I went to eat at Susie’s with my friend Sam.”

Matt’s head cocks very slightly to the right. “Sam?”

I smile. “Yeah. He’s pretty cool. He’s in my grade, not my class. He has a different teacher. He’s 9 and has a huge fish tank in his room. He invited me to his house tomorrow to see it. He only lives two blocks away. Isn’t that cool? Anyway, can I go tomorrow?”

He doesn’t answer right away and it might have to do with how fast I talked. “Sure,” he finally answers. “Yeah, yeah of course.

“K thanks,” I smile and rush past him up the stairs. “I’m not hungry!” I call once I reach the top and escape into my room.

[[July 1, 2008]] \Tuesday\

“Ready?” Sam asks but rushes on not bothering to wait for my answer. “You don’t have to come over if you don’t want to. We could always go down to the beach again.”

I smile. “It’s fine. I want to see that fish tank. Now come on.”

He gives me a half smile and nods. Walking as I skated at a slow lope beside him. Usually he took the bus home, he missed it yesterday, but I convinced him to walk. It wasn’t too far.

\ ♠ ♠ [[Fast Forward]] ♠ ♠ \

Well not far for me. Sam didn’t look like he’d collapse and die but still a sweaty and a bit short of breath. I followed his lead as we turned into a street and then to a nice two-story beige house. When we reach the door, I can hear something’s happening.

“My brothers,” Sam mutters.

I nod showing I heard and understood. Sam lifts his fist knocks a couple times on the door. His mom, he told me yesterday, was supper strict on the door always being locked even if someone was home.

“Who is it?” a voice sings on the other side.

“Adam!” Sam yells with a hint of a whine in his voice. “Open up.”

“What’s the password?” another voice sings.

“Joey!” Sam ties his other brother.

“Wrong!” the two voices laugh.

“Guys!” Sam yells pounding on the door again. “Come on! Knock it off! I’ve got a friend with me.”

No noise for a few seconds till I hear the lock on the door being moved. Then it’s thrown open, revealing two identical twin teenage boys that looked nothing like Sam.

“A friend!” one cries.

“And a girl!” says the other.

“Uhhh…” is all I can manage.

Sam quickly grabs my wrist and shoves us in between and past his brothers.

“Hey where ya going?” one of them calls as we’re half way up the stairs.

Neither Sam or I answer. When we reach his door he drops my hand and opens it. It was a little plain but clean. The thing that blew my mind was the fish tank.

“Cool!” I grin and move towards it.

It was huge! I follow some of the fish with my index finger. I hear shuffling behind me and look over my shoulder at Sam. He was going through the cabinet that his TV rested on.

“Wanna play video games?” he asked.

I move away from the fish tank. “Sure.”

\ ♠ ♠ [[Fast Forward]] ♠ ♠ \

“Die, die, die,” I cry as my finger move rapidly on my game controller. “Yes!” I cry as I KO Sam’s fighter.

Just then someone knocks on his door with a faint, “Sam?”

“Yeah?” Sam calls.

The door opens and a tall thin woman in her early forties stands there. Now I know where the twins got there looks from. Sam was sitting on the floor leaning against his bed while I lay on my stomach on his bed, both of us facing the TV. We both looked at who I’m guessing is his mom.

All she does is stare at us.

“Mom?” Sam asks breaking the question.

That seems to snap her out of it. “Oh, oh yes sorry dear. Who’s this?”

I smile politely, “I’m Ivory ma’am. Thanks for letting me come over and play with Sam after school.”

I know she didn’t know because she wouldn’t have asked who I was if she did; but she plays along like she did. “Of course. It’s our pleasure. I just started dinner, you’re welcome to stay.”

“Thank you Mrs… Sam’s mom. I’d like to but I have to call my dad first and see if it’s ok with him.”

“Of course,” she smiles. “I’ll just be downstairs. You kids have fun.”

“We will,” both Sam and I reply.

She retreats from the room, closing the door behind her. I call Matt, get the ok and then go back to playing video games till Sam’s mom calls us down for dinner.

\ ♠ ♠ [[Fast Forward]] ♠ ♠ \

“Thanks Mr. Howell!” I say jumping from his SUV with my stuff and closing the door.

“No problem Ivory,” he tells me through the rolled down window. “The family was happy to have you. You’re welcomed any time.”

“Thanks,” I smile.

“I’ll stay here till you’re safely inside. Goodnight.”

“Night.”

I walk up the path to my house and once I open the door I wave goodbye once more and disappear inside.

“Have fun?” Val asks as I pass the kitchen.

I stop to answer her question as she continued with the dishes. “Yeah. Sam has a weird but cool family. They said I could come back whenever.”

Val smiles. “That’s great. Tell Sam he’s more than welcomed also.”

“Will do!” I call to her as I make my way to and up the stairs.

[[July 3, 2008]] \Thursday\

♠ Matt’s POV ♠

“Danmit!” I curse hanging up the phone.

“What?” Syn asks.

I hand my pool cue stick to Johnny with a frustrated sigh. “Ivory got in a fight at school. I have to go talk with her principal.”

“What happened?” Jimmy asked.

“I thought she was doing a lot better?” Zack added.

“She is… or was,” I say in regards to Zacky’s question.

I pick my shades up from the bar and start making my way out of Brian’s house.

“Good luck with S.O.S!” Brian’s voice reaches me just before I close his front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS: RainBow BalLooN and secrets-that-die!!

Hope y’all enjoyed the update!