Status: Completed!

No One Ever Realized That They're Already Dead

Sorrow Swallows My Screams... 16

I made my way to the administrations building. Not happy in the least. I thought Ivory was doing better. She even made a friend! I haven’t met him yet but Ivory’s smart and would choose her friends wisely, I hope. Damnit, being a parent is hard.

I reach the building and stop at the front desk. “I’m Ivory Gold’s father. I was called down here.”

“Ahh yes Mr. Sanders,” the older lady nodded and stood. “Follow me.”

I did and she led me to a door. But sitting outside the door was Ivory and four other boys. They were all a little disheveled and a few of the boys had bruises. Why does she always get in fights with boys? All of them were slumped back against the wall, looking down at their shoes. I stare Ivory down as I enter the room. A man, Principal Paul, and several other parents.

“Mr. Sanders,” the Principal greeted. “Please take a seat.”

I took the only other one available next to a heavy-set man. “What’s the problem?” I ask.

“I’ll tell you what!” a woman who’s face was so tight I thought it was about to break. “That girl of yours attacked my poor Jimmy!” She then turned to the Principal. “I demand she be expelled!”

“Now hold on!” I cut in with a glare.

“Mr. Sanders, Mrs. Black,” Principal Paul interrupted. “Let’s calm down. No one is being expelled. All of your children have detention after school for 8 days. Ivory and Jimmy will be getting an extra 2.”

“My poor Jimmy didn’t do a thing!” Mrs. Black huffed.

I rolled my eyes. “I would like to point out I still don’t know what happened.”

“You’re daughter attacked my son and his friends!” one of the other men, wearing a suit, in the room spoke up.

“After they were pushing around my son!” the heavier man in the chair next to me shot back.

“Well I’m on the girls side,” the last man said as, who I’m guessing, his wife next to him nodded in agreement.

“Still don’t know what happened,” I point out trying to keep my cool.

All the parent’s mouths open but the Principal beats them to the punch. “Their children,” he begins gesturing with a hand to Mrs. Black, the guy in the suit, and the married couple, “Were bulling Mr. Howell’s son,” he gestures with a hand to the heavier man next to me. “They were calling him names and pushed him to the ground right before Ivory came and interfered. Some words were thrown around and then fists. Since all of them were in the fight all will be punished. But Jimmy and Ivory’s punishment is longer due to them being the ones to instigate the fight.”

“So my daughter’s being punished because she stuck up to bullies?” I question, my face and voice shocked.

“My Jimmy is not a bully!” Mrs. Black cries out.

Principal Paul ignores her, “It’s always good to stand up to bullies Mr. Sanders but you understand we can’t have them doing it with their fist.”

I guess I agree with that so I nod in understanding.

“Mr. Paul,” the man with his wife spoke. “I’d like the schools back up in keeping Tyler (his son) away from Jimmy and Kevin (suits son).”

“Tyler is a sweet boy,” the man’s wife continues. “He just likes to follow the pack so to speak. I don’t want him playing with the wrong kind of kids.”

“Why! I- that’s,” Mrs. Black stuttered outraged.

“That’s enough Mrs. Black,” Principal Paul sighs. “And yes Mr. and Mrs. Vancouver the school will try it’s best. Now, if there isn’t anymore questions, I’d like to speak to Mrs. Black and Mr. Gerald alone for a moment.”

I shook my head no and stood, so did the heavier man Mr. Howell, and the married Vancouver’s. We left the office, the Vancouver’s quickly collecting their son and leaving.

“Come on Ivory,” I mutter.

She sighs and gets up, slinging her backpack over one shoulder. The cubby kid sitting beside her on the bench follows her lead. I don’t say anything as we make our way out of the building. I’m half anger that she got in a fight but the other half is glad she stuck up for that kid. I can hear Howell and his son following from behind and what-do-you-know, our cars are parked next to each other.

“Bye Sam,” Ivory mutters looking at the kid. “I didn’t mean to get you in trouble.”

“I know,” the heavier kid, Sam, mumbles back. “Same here.”

“Wasn’t quite the way I thought we’d first meet,” Mr. Howell begins, making me look at him. He catches my confused expression and continues, “Ivory was at our house for dinner a couple nights ago.”

“Oh!” I say and offer my hand. “Matt.”

“Lance,” he says back while shaking my hand. “You’ve got a great girl there.”

“Thanks,” I nod. “I’ve heard good things about Sam from Ivory. Hopefully you and your wife don’t let this fight keep them from being friends.”

“Of course not,” he denies. “Ivory was just trying to help.” We look down at our kids who were looking up at us. “Although, I suggest next time they get an adult.”

“Of course,” the two kids answer with smiles.

Lance and I share a look. Yeah, of course they’re gonna listen to us. But they’re kids.

“Well,” Lance sighs. “We better get home before my wife does.”

“Yeah. Ivory and I need to talk,” I reply back to him but I’m looking down at Ivory who’s eyes dart down to her shoes. I look at Mr. Howell and offer my hand again. “It was great to meet you.”

“Same here. Maybe when the kids are off punishment maybe our families can get together for dinner.”

“Sounds good,” I smile.

The kids say a muttered bye to each other and everyone gets in their respected cars. The ride home is very silent. And when we get home I make Ivory follow me to the family room and sit. I start pacing a little. Not really sure how to handle this. Last fight was easy but this one I’m half for her and half against. Finally I just sigh and fall into my large lazy boy chair. Ivory was looking at me unsure.

“Soo,” I begin with a twirl of my hand. “That was Sam?”

Iehsa nods. “Yeah. He’s cool just other kids are mean to him. He’s my friend Matt, I had to stick up for him.”

“Did you have to hit though?”

“Well, no. But Jimmy was asking for it!” She frowns. “He wouldn’t stop saying things about Sam. What would you have done?!”

‘I would kick their asses too at your age…or now,’ I think. But of course, I’m the parent and can’t say anything like that to my 9-year-old daughter.

“I would have stuck up to them but not let my anger get the better of me. You really should have gone to a teacher or adult.” She mumbles something under her breath. “What was that?”

“Nothing,” she instantly replies.

“No surfing for a 10 days,” I say.

“What?” she questions, her blue eyes going wide.

“Hey I was going to make it skating also but since you were helping out a friend I’m not. Unless you continue to argue.”

“That’s fine,” she quickly agrees.

I nod, “Good. Now go to your room and do your homework.”

Ivory sighs but does as she’s told.

Damnit, being a parent is hard.

[[July 4, 2008]] \Friday\

♠ Ivory’s POV ♠

4th of July and I can’t play with any of the fireworks. It’s another part of my punishment. Being a kid sucks. At the moment I was in the kitchen getting a drink when Zack enters.

“Hey Ivory!” he smiles. “I’ve been meaning to talk to you alone.” I look at him confused. “Heard about the fight,” he smirks

I give him a smirk of my own. “Yeah, what about it?” I ask with a cocky tone my mom always scolded me for. He laughs lightly and takes out his wallet and hands me a $20. “Cool, thanks,” I grin making my dimples show.

“Any witnesses? Any good shots?” he questions with his wallet still out.

“I’m pretty sure ones gonna get a black eye and another got a nice bruise on his cheek.” That got me a ten. Sweet.

“They older and bigger than you?”

“All of them older and two of them bigger.” Another $10 bill.

“Make ‘em cry?”

“No,” I answered but quickly threw in, “but they sniffled a couple times on the way to the office.”

“Good enough!” He slipped another ten from his wallet and into my hand.

“Thanks Zacky!” I grin bouncing on my toes a little for the awesomeness of this.

“No problem,” he laughed. “And if Matt finds the money, what do you say?”

I smirk, “How am I gonna say anything if he’ll never find it?”

“Very clever. Here’s another.”

I giggled a bit and I took the five he held out and stuffed all the money into my jeans front pocket. “Thanks!” I grin up at him.

“And remember,” he smirks.

“Don’t tell Matt,” I answer. “Or Val.”

“Right,” he nodded and ruffled my hair.

I fixed it but didn’t complain, the man did just give me money.

“Don’t expect any from Johnny or Jimmy. They’re parents now,” he says the word parents part in a mocking way.

I roll my eyes. “How boring.”

“Tell me about it. Now!” he claps. “Let’s go see those fireworks.”