Status: Completed!

No One Ever Realized That They're Already Dead

Sorrow Swallows My Screams... 29

♠ No One’s POV ♠

“How far down do you think it goes?”

All five looked over the edge with their fire being their only light. If it wasn’t for Ellamae then Ben would have went straight down since he was leading them. She had tripped and kicked a rock. They heard the rock hitting the side as it fell.

“How much further doesn’t this mountain go?” AJ questioned.

Ben sighed and stood, looking around for another way. “Don’t know,” he answered softly.

“We have to jump.”

Everyone looked at his or her leader, Ivory.

“We have to jump,” she repeated.

The four other Jade Wings looked across to where she meant. Would they make it? It was a long jump, Ben believed, and he had longer legs.

“D you go first,” Ivory said taking charge. “Ben will have to toss Ella over.” She paused. “And maybe me too.”

Damien wanted to suggest going back but Ivory would never make it up that semi steep slope with a bullet in her arm. They had to press on, leave no Wing behind.

“Ok,” he said in a strong voice. “Back up and give me some room.”

\\ ♠ ♠ Elsewhere ♠ ♠ \\

“Fuck!” The large bald man cursed in a loud whisper.

Ava rolled her eyes and stepped over yet another snake, the same one that Willy just cursed at.

“Hurry up,” Tom snapped. “Let’s get these kids and take care of them.”

No one else commented.

“Hey Markus,” Jay the muscular black one started. “You think the treasure could be in this cave?”

Markus thought it over and nodded, “could be, but more than one someone would have had to survive the ship wreak to take it all the way down here.”

♠ Ivory’s POV ♠

“You ok?” my sister asked looking at me worried.

I just nodded. My breathing was heavy and beep. I was just so tired.

“Hold up,” Ben said and turned. “Ivory get on my back.”

I want to deny it but AJ spoke up, “It’s ok Ivory. You’ve taken care of everything so far, let us take care of you.”

Yet again I wanted to deny the help but I was just so very tired. So I nodded and jumped on Ben’s back when he crouched down. Because he had to hold my legs, AJ had to take the lead a little bit with his torch; Ellamae was holding Ben’s.

\ ♠ ♠ [[Fast Forward]] ♠ ♠ \

♠ Ben’s POV ♠

“Ok let’s take a break,” I said. “D help me with Ivory, she’s asleep.”

“Kay,” he said softly and helped me with his sister.

When she was off my back we laid her gently on the ground. Damien took the backpack off and handed us each a banana, one extra for Ivory when she woke.

I felt our faithful and fearless leader’s forehead to find that it was cool. I hoped with all my heart that it would stay that way. Ivory can’t afford a fever right now. Another thing was also very clear: they needed off this island before her bullet wound got infected.

If it did…

My thoughts were cut short when we heard a curse echo through the dark cave.

All of our heads snapped to back to where we came. They found us. Quickly, all four of us jumped into action. We shook Ivory awake and were able to get her back on my back with a bit of trouble because of her being half a sleep.

Then we did the stupidest thing we could do… we ran.

♠ Damien’s POV ♠

Who knows how long we ran. Next thing I knew it was nothing but air. Literally. We all screamed or gasped as we fell two stories. Then? Water… very cold water.

I came gasping up for air. Luckily, it wasn’t pitch dark. Nope, there were some beams of light coming in and I found the others quickly enough. We all held onto the rocky side of the new part of this damn mountain we fell into. Ivory didn’t look good.

“Everyone ok?” she still asked thinking of us before herself.

Brave little Ivory.

“Yeah,” I and the others answered.

“How about you?” Ben asked swimming around his brother and to her side.

“Uhh guys,” Ellamae said but we were more concerned with Ivory’s tired eyes and slow breathing.

“I’m fine,” she answers as her left hand of her uninjured arm strongly gripped a rocky edge, but the arm shook with failing strength.

“Guys…”

“How far does this damn cave go?” AJ cried angrily and slapped the cold water.

“Hey, guys.”

“I’m so tired,” Ivory whispered, her brave and strong act slowly slipping away.

“It’s ok sis,” I said softly. “We’re here.”

“Guys!”

All four of us looked at Ellamae.

Before we could ask what was up, she pointed and yelled, “Look!”

We looked and then all our jaws hit the water.

“Whoa…” Ben said softly.

“Guys,” Ivory said in a whisper. “Come on.”

We all knew she was pushing herself to stay awake. Her arm, I’m just noticing, is bleeding again. For how long? She can’t afford to loose any more blood. They needed to get her out of the cold water and to the little island Ellamae pointed out.

Who cared if there were a couple large wooden chest and a few skeletons with them?

“Ivory!” AJ suddenly cried out.

My fear turned sevenfold as Ivory lost consciousness in the water.

\ ♠ ♠ [[Fast Forward. 20 Minutes]] ♠ ♠ \

♠ Ivory’s POV ♠

“Hey, she’s waking up,” was the first thing my brain made sense of.

“You ok sis?” I heard D ask.

I opened my mouth to answer but it was so dry.

“Here,” I hear Ben’s voice say.

A hand moves under my head to lift it slightly and a cup of water is brought to my lips. Wait. …A cup? A solid gold cup.

“What happened?” I ask softly.

“You fainted,” Ellamae said worried. “Are you ok?”

I nodded and answered, “I’m fine.”

My left arm, with the bullet still there, hurt painfully. But they didn’t need to know that. I could have them worrying over me.

“What’s going on?” I ask again.

“Look!” AJ’s cheerful voice said.

I turned and saw him totally decked out in gold and jewels. But as I looked at them all, they all were. They read my confused expression and shared their knowledge. After I fainted, they swam to the island with me in Ben’s arms. They said they were so concerned about me that Damien even pushed away a skeleton so they’d have more room to lay me down. After a while when they were pretty sure I was just sleeping, I made a snoring noise once or twice, they explored the chests the dead men were guarding.

Pirates.
Cool.
Really super amazingly cool!

“And this Ivory,” Ben starts, his back to me as he opens a chest. “Is yours,” he ends turning back to me.

A sword and a crown.

I laugh.

“For our fearless leader!” AJ cries.

“Yeah!” Ellamae agrees as well.

Ben makes a great and humorous show of putting the small crown on my head and then handing me my cutlass. The sword was the only one they found with the stuff and skeletons.

The chests were just filled with stuff. Rings, necklaces, bracelets, cups, mirrors, coins, and everything a pirate lusted after, all covered with jewels of course.

As I lay back with a heavily filled chest supporting me up, I smiled at my family as they laughed and talked about what they were going to do with their share.

Are we stupid?

I knew the answer when I heard, “Well look at that! The brats found our treasure!”

Yep. Nobody but idiots would forget the gun caring blood-lusting people they were running from.