Status: Finished

Going Under

13 of 14

"Mam, you need to open this door, now." Someone was knocking on Carla's door. She got up angrily, putting her needles in a box and sliding them under the couch. She took a pillow off the couch and stuck it under Nickolas' head so it wasn’t against the floor as he lay there, motionless.

"What." She stated rather than asked as the door was thrown open in anger.

"I am Melissa O'Connor from Child services." She held up a badge as proof. "I hear that you are neglecting your son?"

"I don't know where you heard that." Carla frowned in feign innocence, "My son is perfectly fine."

"Well, it is a legal obligation that I check the home to make sure nothing is really going on." She let herself in, walking around. she went straight over to Nickolas, raising an eyebrow. "Is there any reason he is on the floor like this...?" the knelt down, taking his small wrist into her hand and checking his pulse.

A knot formed in Carla's throat, "He wanted to take a nap, but didn't want to go to bed."

"So you laid him on the floor?" Melissa looked skeptical. Resting his hand back down on the floor, she went over to the couches, feeling between the cushions and moving the pillows around. opening the drawers to the side table, she made a face. Looking under the couch, she jumped as a cat batted at her hand playfully. Moving him aside, she pulled the box out from under the couch.

"Don't touch that!" Carla growled, "That box was given to me by my late grandfather!"

"Mam, let me look inside the box." Melissa insisted, looking straight into Carla's eyes. She kept a straight face, seeing right through Carla's trick.

Carla's eyes narrowed, "I don't believe that you have the right to go through my things, Melissa." The name was spat out coldly.

"You seem very defensive about that, Carla."

"So would you, if someone barged into your home and looked through your things."

"Then so be it." Melissa went down the hall towards Nickolas' room. Carla hid the box once more. Melissa went into the closet, picking up some of his toys. She picked up an ambulance, shaking it a little. Opening the back doors, she found exactly what she was looking for. A syringe fell into her awaiting hand, making her sigh. She got a backpack out of his closet, putting some clothes in it. Making note of the toys around the room, she filled the bag with his clothes. It was hazardous to take any of the toys with her. Slinging it over her shoulder, she went back into the living room. Picking Nickolas up off the floor, she rested the puppy on the pillow, resting his head on her shoulder.

"No! Nickolas!" he reached for the stuffed dog, whimpering.

"Nicky, you can't take him with you..."

"No! Nickolas!" he tried to get out of her arms, tears forming in his eyes. Melissa gave in, picking up the stuffed dog and handing it to him. Carla was too busy with a needle in her arm in the kitchen. Melissa shook her head, taking Nickolas out to her car. Setting him in the car seat she had, she buckled him in.

"Is there anything you like to listen to on the radio...?" Melissa asked, pulling out of the driveway.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay...! the last one is next!:)

comment. let me know what you think