Status: Slowly active. Leave comments.

Back In Your Head

Growing Up

"You're not surprised to see me?" He asked not noticing how I was on the brink of exploding in anger right in front of him.

"No." I said and began walking back to the direction of the house.

"Hey, where are you going?" He said following right behind me.

"Home."

"Why are you leaving so soon?"

"I don't want to be around you."

"Why not?" He asked like as if he didn't even know.

I stopped suddenly and turned around to face him. I gave him a harsh glare hoping he'd realize how pissed I was. I wasn't happy at all to see this guy not after I remembered what happened when we were kids.

"Are you serious?" I asked not really wanting a response. He just nodded. The kind of nod that you give someone when they ask you an obvious question. "Do you not remember what you did to me?"

"Uh, yeah. I saved you from drowning."

"Yeah, but you also pushed me in that lake. You knew I couldn't swim either."

"That was a mistake though, that's why I went back in and saved you."

"That still doesn't make you okay in my book." I gritted through my teeth and picked back up on walking.

"Oh come on, Amy, can't you let that go? That was in the past, we were kids. We're grown up now. Don't you want to catch up or anything?" He said still following me.

"Not really."

"Play tag?"

"No." I said stepping over a log.

"Play house? I'll be the dad, you'll be the mom, we'll have two kids. One boy and one girl and maybe get a pet dog." He suggested another kid game that we played when we were kids.

"I'm not eight anymore, John." I replied and heard his footsteps behind me stop.

"Oh, I see. I know what games you'd probably be interested in now."

I turned around to look at him, confused, I asked: "What are you talking about?" He just stood there smirking at me and then motioned for me to turn around. I looked at him suspiciously for a moment then slowly turned around.

There, in front of my very own eyes stood Kennedy. My jaw dropped slightly at this. "Kenny?" I said real quietly hoping John didn't hear me. He, this, couldn't be real. Kennedy wasn't suppose to be here. He went back home and wasn't suppose to return until late tomorrow night.

"Stop that." I said audible enough for John to hear. I knew he was doing this. I closed my eyes tightly and shook my head lightly. When I opened them, Kennedy's mirage wasn't there anymore.

"Who is that fellow, Amy?"

"Shouldn't you know? You brought his image up." I said with an attitude. The nerve of him of playing with my emotions.

"I really don't know who that was. I just saw him with you yesterday looking at the sunset. So really, who is he?"

"None of your business."

"I'm your best friend, Amy. We're suppose to tell each other these kinds of things." He said playfully.

"No, best friends don't get mad at each and end up almost killing each other."

"But best friends are there for you and I was still there."

"Where were you the last couple years then?"

"I don't know."

"Well, maybe you should go back to wherever you came from."

"I'm from you."

By now, I was fed up. He wouldn't leave me alone now. I ended up unleashing the cold hard harsh truth. "Okay, really yes you are. I did make you up one day, but you're not real okay? I was alone. I was just a kid. Kids make up things and when I was kid I made you up. You were my imaginary friend, John. I needed a friend. My parents were always arguing and had no time for me. I didn't have a friend to count on. I made you up. Maybe not your exact physical appearance, but I hoped and imagined for someone to listen to me, to play games with me, to rely on. I didn't meet Garrett until later on. When I made you up you were my best friend. You were someone that was there for me, but you weren't really there."

"What about now?"

"I don't know what you are? Just my imagination, I guess."

"Then what happened?" He asked wanting me to continue with my story.

"I told you I was moving and decided I was going to hang out with Garrett the rest of the days I had left here. I told you I was getting to old for an imaginary friend. Then you got mad and pushed me in the lake knowing that I couldn't swim. John, drowning is so scary and it's not an easy death. I know you saved me and thanks, but you shouldn't be here. I don't need you in my life anymore."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah." I said finally making it out of the woods and was a few feet away from the front of my house. "Now if you'll excuse me. I'm going to get ready and hang out with Garrett." I was leaving him again for a real friend. I knew that struck him because I saw him stiffen, jaw clench, and his fists ball up. I didn't care he should be mad at me like I am with him.

I entered my house to find it empty and as I looked over to the kitchen area I saw that all the groceries I left scattered around the kitchen was all put away in their proper places. I was actually thirsty, considering the fact that I had just ran and passed out earlier, I began preparing myself a small lunch.

Attached to the fridge was a note that read my name on it. I snatched it, ripping it off the fridge, and began reading it:

Amy,

If you're still up for hanging out tonight. Hit me up.

P.S. your dad told me to include that he went out to his office and wouldn't be back till dinner.

- Garrett


And after that his number was scribbled by his name. I was still interested in hanging out with Garrett tonight. I needed to get out anyway. I also didn't want to see John creeping around my house either. So I'd be willing to do anything to get away from the house and even away from my awkward father. A couple of rings later Garrett picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Garrett. It's Amy."

"Amy, hey. So you got my note?"

"Yeah and I'm definitely up for hanging out tonight."

"Great! Is six o'clock fine with you?"

"Sure is."

"Sweet! I'll be around by then."

"Cool. I'll see you then." I lastly said as we ended the call and proceeded with eating my delayed lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: "Growing Up" - The Maine

Okay, so did you notice? I changed the photo on this layout. Haha. Anyway, I hope this chapter sort of helped explain things. I'm finally on my summer vacation and this is my second update today! I updated my Josh Franceschi story. Check it out!

If I get at least 6 comments I'll update. That's not much, I mean I have 41 people subscribed and I'm only asking for 6 comments....