Must Be Something In The Water

Instinct

A week after my sentencing. I was let out on bail. Which means I was a free women. Keith however was still grounded because of my mother. The only way we could communicate was seeing face to face.

I saw Keith cleaning out leaves from the pool.

"Hey Keith." I said to him walking into his back yard.

"Hey." he said to me quietly.

"Sorry you got in trouble." I said.

"It's okay, two weeks shouldn't be too bad." he said.

"My mom gave me a week." I said.

"I got two weeks because it was my idea. Too bad you got caught huh?" he asked.

I nodded.

"So what they got you on pool duty?" I asked him.

"And everything else. Heard you went to the doctor what did they say?" Keith asked me.

"Absolutely nothing's wrong with me just that I have the blood of a porpose or orca." I said.

"A dolphin and a killer whale? Wow that's a pretty big error they made." he said leaning on the pole used to clean out the pool.

"Yeah that's what the nurse said but I don't know." I said looking at the pool.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I looked up at him.

"Aly said that I've been acting weird since I feel into the lake." I said to him.

"I told you that first." he said.

"But, I live with Aly she noticed that I've been different." I said to him.

Keith looked at me.

"What do you think?" he asked.

"Think what?" I asked.

"Do you think she's right or what?" he asked.

"I don't know, I'm confused I mean okay. Last night for instance I took a bath and didn't get out until two hours later." I said to him.

"How is that weird?" he asked.

"I was under water the whole time. Actually I fell asleep underwater until Aly woke me up. Oh, I've also been thirsty like hell. Every second. I run to the tap to get water to drink. Don't even get me started on where it's all going. Plus, I have this weird craving for fish that I can't fight. I think I'm going crazy do you think I'm going crazy?" I asked him.

"And I thought I talked a lot." Keith said.

"Be serious. Keith, I think something's wrong with me and it's because of the glowing fish I saw in the lake." I said to him.

"The Shelby." he said.

"What?" I asked him.

"I did some more research. The fish in the lake is called a Shelby. The Shelby is an alien from another planet, and they made our lake their home the night before the storm." he said to me.

"The Shelbies are aliens?" I asked him.

"Yes, I think that, I've come to that conclusion that we are in fact in the middle of an invasion." Keith said.

"Then what do we do?" I asked him crossing my arms.

"I don't know, I'm in just as much confusion as you are." he said.

"Okay, lets try going back to the lake." I said to him.

"W-What are you crazy?" he asked me.

"I just asked you if I was. But no, I'm serious. We're going to that lake." I said to him.

"But I'm grounded." he said.

"What are your parents going to do reground you?" I asked.

"No add more time to it. I'm not going to the lake." Keith said to me.

"Well, I am. I don't know about you but I want to go back to the lake. The only way any of our questions will be answered is if we go back." I said to him.

"Why should I go?" he asked.

"Because you owe me. For everything that happened there." I said to him.

I knew my power of guilt was strong on him and I saw him frown.

"Okay, what time do you want to meet?" he asked.

"Twelve a.m." I said.

"What if I'm asleep?" he asked.

"You better be at the lake by twelve o' clock." I said to him.

"Okay." he said.

I looked at my watch again and then looked up at Keith. He skid to a stop.

"You're a minute lake." I said to him.

"My brother is still up. I don't think he'll check my room for me though." Keith said.

"Lets go." I said to him hiding my bike behind a tree.

Keith followed my lead and hid his bike behind a tree. We made our way to the lake. I could feel the pull of the water against my body it was the strangest sensation I ever felt. It was like I was a magnet and the water was pulling me. It was one of the scariest and best sensations I ever felt.

"Alexis are you okay you're twitching." Keith said to me.

"I-I'm fine lets go." I said walking ahead of him.

I wanted to get into the water so bad that I didn't even pay attention to my surroundings Keith had to remind me that we weren't the only ones at the lake. He pulled me. I snapped out of the trance and looked back at him.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Look over there." he said pointing to the right.

I turned in the direction he was pointing and I saw a crain with a sling at the end of it lift up something out of the water.

A weird sensation came over me and I stood up.

"Alexis stay down." Keith said to me.

"Keith, there's a Shelby in that sling." I said to him.

"No way, really?" he asked jumping up.

"We got to stop the crain, it needs the water." I said to him.

"Who cares I'm not going to get in any trouble because of some alien... wait!" Keith cried.

I ran away from him and leaped into the lake. The water overlapped me in warmth and comfort. I swam towards the crain and saw the very tip of the a glowing tentacle. It's glowing slowly disapearing. I thought fast wondering what I could do to save it. As if inspiration came to me out of nowhere. I swam towards the dock where the Shelby was lowered. About five men ran towards the pale colored Shelby. I pulled myself onto the dock and ran to the aid of the Shelby

"Hey where did she come from!" someone yelled.

"Get her away from it!" another person yelled.

I began scooting the Shelby off the dock it weighed close to a ton I bet. It seemed to be helping me by wiggling back towards the water. When the first man grabbed me the Shelby latched out with a tentacle pushing him over the dock. It wiggled a few more times and then slid into the water. I looked back at the men in white suits as they leaped for me. I turned around and leaped into the water. The following the glowing Shelby.

I came up for air and looked for Keith who was looking for me. When he saw me I saw the relieve in his face.

"Alexis what the hell were you doing? You got yourself caught and you got me caught." he said.

"Take my hand." I said to him.

He wadded into the water and stopped.

"Wait what's wrong with you?" he asked.

"Keith take it, they're looking for us." I said.

"Who?" he asked me.

I turned around and he saw the glowing Shelby.

"Come on, you've got to trust it." I said to him.

"I don't trust it that thing is an alien. Why do you trust it?" he asked me.

"I just do take my hand." I said one last time.

He took it and then in one swoop. I dragged him in and he disappeared with me and the Shelby under the water.