Must Be Something In The Water

Life As We Knew It

The town of Alki known for it's gorgeous lake and alien events. I don't really remember what happened to me the night when the invasion ended. I remember some blurps of the night in a dream but other than that it felt like only a dream.

There was no more unexplained pregnancies because of the lake. The Shelbies were taken along with offspring and any other being they left. Gone for another fifty years. Lenard Blue was charged with helping an alien race conquer the Earth. He pleaded guilty and will have to spend life in a Maximum security titanium box.

We haven't heard from the ELA or any government official. Actually, Keith and I were the only ones that knew that the ELA existed. Everyone else seemed to have selective memory. Only remembering them as FBI agents or police officers.

I guess you could say that life went back to normal right? I'm unable to breath underwater once again. Actually I detest the stuff and I believe I'll take my chances with diabetes and drink soda. Just kidding.

Today was a beautiful day the last day before fall actually. The sun was reflecting its rays off the lake. Keith and I sat on the edge of the dock together. Our legs swinging back and forth.

"So, you're feeling better?" he asked me.

It had been a week since the aliens left.

"Yeah, I just have a lot of scars left over." I said rubbing my legs.

"It's not too bad." he said to me and smiled.

"Guess not." I said and smiled back.

He looked back out at the lake.

"Everything's back to normal. The lake, the people, the...."

"Geronemo!" Kevin yelled as he thundered down the dock and into the lake.

Water splashed on us.

"The annoying sibling." I said wiping the water from my face.

"True." he said.

"Hey, what are you two love birds still doing on the dock?" Kevin asked.

"Love birds?" I said and looked at Keith then Kevin.

"Keep dreaming. We're just friends." Keith said.

"With benefits?" Kevin asked and then laughed.

"Hey, go drown yourself." I yelled.

"Yeah whatever." he said and swam away.

I rolled my eyes.

"So do you want to get into the lake?" Keith asked.

"You, I mean it's safe right?" I asked him.

"Safe from aliens but there's still bacteria, numerous forms of parasites and..." I just pushed him into the water and then I stood up and leaped in after him.

He came back up for air coughing.

"Hey!" he cried.

"I told you Keith you just talk way too much." I said and giggled.

Kevin dived under and swam by his brother. He popped up out of no where and then dunk him under. I swam backwards and looked back at the shore. My mom waved at us to come in. I waved back.

"Come on guys stop fooling around." I said.

I saw Keith hold Kevin's head under water as he splashed and kicked.

"Okay." Keith said as Kevin bucked him. Keith flew onto his back.

"Drown me again squirt and your dead." Kevin said coughing.

"Revenge is sweet!" Keith said.

Kevin swam back to shore. I waited for Keith to get his footing.

"Ready to go back in?" he asked me.

I looked at him and nodded.

"Yeah, I think my hands are pruning." I said.

Just then a weird sensation came over me and time seemed to slow down. Keith looked at me.

"Alexis you okay?" he asked.

My head started to throb and pulsate. I held it.

"Yeah, just a headache." I said to him.

"Can you make it back to shore?" Keith asked me.

The way that my head was hurting I turned around and I saw bubbles rising to the surface.

"Keith lets get out." I said to him.

"What is it?" he asked me.

"Swim." I said to him.

We swam out of the lake the bubbles disappeared even though my headache didn't until after we got in the water.

"What took you so long?" my sister Aly asked.

She was sipping on a can of soda. I took a look back into the lake. My headache disappeared as soon as whatever was in the lake was gone.

"Alexis what are you looking at?" she asked.

Keith turned and faced the lake as well.

"Something's not right." I said.

"What do you mean?" Keith asked.

I looked at him and then shook my head.

"I'm just a little light headed probably a fish or something." I said walking back up to the shore where food was cooking.

Kevin was wolfing down a hot dog.

"Great hot dogs dad." Kevin said.

"Thanks son." his dad said.

"Where's the potatoe salad?" Keith's mom asked my mom.

"In the cooler I think you can take it out now." my mom said carrying a can of sodas onto the pinic table. I took a seat at one side of the table Keith on the other side and I stared back at the lake.

Keith staring at me.

"Here's the burgers, here's the dogs lets eat." his dad said.

I turned back to the food and nearly jumped out of my skin.

"What's wrong with you?" Kevin asked.

"I swore I saw worms." I said.

"Where?" he asked looking at the burgers and then under his.

"I don't see anything." his mother said.

"Are you okay honey?" my mom asked me.

I reached over for one of the burgers and nodded. I grabbed the ketchup and pulled the top off the burger and squrited some of the ketchup on the burgers.

When I bit into it I relaxed. Normal burger.

Keith looked up at me and his eyes grew large.

"Alexis are you okay?" he asked me.

I stopped chewing and then I felt light headed. I passed out and my head fell right onto my burger.