Sequel: What Can I Say?
Status: Completed! : )

Black Keys

Ordinary Day

ImageImage

"Just a day, just an ordinary day. Just trying to get by. Just a boy, just an ordinary boy, but he was looking to the sky." - 'Ordinary Day' Vanessa Caralton

Melody Crenshaw walked down the crowded streets of New York city. She studied the passing buildings, a book store, an Italian Restaurant, and a fancy boutique; among many others. Just as interesting were the people she passed, an old man walking his dog, a blond talking on the phone in a loud voice, and a little girl and her mother walking hand in hand. Everyday Melody walks these streets and everyday there is something different to see. Today her destination, like every other day, was the little music store nestled between Avery's Bakery and Looking Good Salon. In black letters the sign on the front of the store read, Old Time Records, which sold everything from guitars to kazoos.

As she approached the small shop she noticed a group of people gathered around the door. Upon a closer look she realized the group was mainly teenage girls all screaming and holding cameras or phones. Blocking the door stood two, very large, men in black shirts. Melody stopped at the edge of the group and with a heavy sigh she began her journey to the music shop's doors. After elbowing her way through the crowd she managed to get to the doors, but the men still blocked her way.

"Excuse me I work here." Melody stated.

The men didn't even look at her. This frustrated Melody, she hated when people ignored her.
"I work here." She said a little louder.

This time one of the men, the bigger of the two, looked down at her. He was dark and five times the size of Melody.

"No one is aloud in." He said in a gruff voice.

Melody ran a hand through her long black hair in annoyance. She closed her eyes in thought, briefly shielding her bright blue eyes from the flashing lights of the cameras around her.

"I seriously work here." She said opening her eyes to look at the man in front of her.

"What's your name?"

"Melody Crenshaw."

The man spoke into a walkie-talkie and after a moment he received a response.

"Alright you can go in." He said to Melody. He opened the door and pushed her in as fast as he could.

She stumbled in almost falling into a display of vintage records, thankfully she caught her balance before she did.

"Melody where have you been?"Chris Benton, the shop owner, asked rushing over to Melody.

"I had to push my way through that mob out there." Melody began a hint of irritation evident. "And some guy wouldn't let me in."

"I know Megan had a problem too." Chris said with a shrug. "But there's nothing i can do right now."

Melody glanced at her co-worker Megan Straton, who as usual was off in her own little world. Melody looked into the back room where the bigger instruments were held and saw a family looking at guitars.

"So what's the deal with all those people outside?" Melody asked.

"Those guys in there are rock stars." Megan said, playing with a piece of her brown curly hair.

"Really?" Melody asked. "I've never seen them before."

"I'm sure you have." Megan said in a 'DUH' kind of way.

"Get to work." Chris said as he went back into his office.

Melody went to stand behind the cash register with Megan, but something caught her eye. A boy, who looked close to her age, was looking at the white baby grand piano on display. For months Melody had been trying to sell that piano, but for some reason no one would buy. She studied the boy, trying to come up with the best way to approach him. She noticed every time he passed under one of the lights his brown curls would go from dark to light. His ivory skin looked smooth and fragile. He wore a white shirt with a black leather jacket, and dark skinny jeans and black dress shoes. He didn't look like any rock star Melody had seen, he looked to - innocent. Still Melody put on her best sales women face and walked over to him.
"Hello." She said as she stood next to him.

"Hi." He said looking up from the piano. He had dark soulful eyes that seemed to look deep into her soul.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Melody said referring to the piano.

"Yeah. I have like it at home." He ran a finger across the keys. "And one on tour with us."

"Really?" Melody asked.

"Yeah, but I don't get to play them to much." He said. His voice was low and held so much emotion.

"Oh that's to bad." Melody said unable to think of anything else.

"Yeah."

"How long have you been playing?" Melody asked genuinely interested.

"Since I was a kid." He said with a small smile, making his already handsome features more mesmerizing. He looked away from the piano and the smile vanished. "I loved to play."

"Me too." Melody said with thinking about it. She laid a hand on the smooth surface of the piano and looked down at it with happy smile on her lips.

The boy looked at Melody with a thoughtful gaze. He couldn't help but admire her beauty, with her dark hair and electric blue eyes. Her tan skin seemed to sparkle when the light hit it the right way. She looked like a music kid, she had a black Silverstein band t-shirt on and white skinny jeans and black and white checkered vans. Her smile was warm and friendly, and her voice sounded like the most beautiful piece of music he had ever heard; and he knew as hard as he tried he could never recreate the sound. He looked away to see what his family was doing, they were still looking at guitars.

"You play?" He asked returning his gaze to Melody.

"Yes." Melody said looking up at the boy in front of her. "Everyday."

He smiled and stuck his hand out, "I'm Nick."

"I'm Melody." They shook hands.

"Melody is an interesting name." Nick commented.

"My mom was really into music." Melody said with a shrug.

"Well it's better than Nicholas." Nick said his smile growing.

"I like Nicholas." Melody said with a small laugh. "It sounds so - smart."

"Yeah I guess." Nick chuckled.

Melody's heart beat increased at the sound of Nick's laugh.

"Looks like I have to go." Nick said looking at something behind Melody.
She turned and saw his family walking out the door.

"Oh." Melody said, she was surprised to hear the disappointment in her voice.

"Do you work tomorrow?" Nick asked.

"Yeah. Three to Eleven." Melody answered.

"Alright. Maybe I'll stop by." Nick said. He walked past Melody following his family out into the bustling city of New York.

What should have been an ordinary day just became an extraordinary day.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT! SUBSCRIBE!
chapter title:Ordinary Day by Vanessa Caralton.
(the first paragraph, in italics, is the part of the song that goes with the chapter.)