Sequel: What Can I Say?
Status: Completed! : )

Black Keys

Everything Your Not

Image Image

"And I am done with your twisted symphony, the words that had me sound like stolen poetry, I tore the pages and I can finally breathe." - Demi Lovato

The rest of the time Nick stayed in New York he spent with Melody. They wrote songs together and walked around New York. They told each other everything about theirs lives and their dreams, without any lies.

They were sitting on a bench in Central Park watching the other people around them. A bag of gummy worms sitting between them while they sat next to each other.

"OK your turn to ask a question." Nick said taking a worm from the bag and throwing into his mouth.

"What happened to you." Melody asked.

"What do you mean?" Nick asked confused.

"Why did you stop writing." Melody clarified.

"Oh." Nick said studying the half eaten worm in his hand. "Its complicated."

"I'm sure I can figure it out."
Nick sighed and ate the rest of the worm while he thought of how he should answer this question. He looked at Melody seeing her expectant look. "Well I went through a really bad break up." Nick said slowly.

"And?"

"And what?"

"That's all? You gave up what you love because of that?" Melody asked amazed. "How is that complicated?"

"Yeah. I don't know."

"Please tell me she was the love of your life."

"I thought so, but I was obviously wrong."

"So what made you start writing now?" Melody asked taking another worm.

Nick didn't answer, he didn't want to admit he was falling for Melody. He wasn't sure she felt the same about him. But he couldn't lie to her. "You." He said looking at his feet.

"Me?" Melody asked surprised.

"Yeah. I guess your my muse." Nick said with a small laugh.

"OK. Your turn." Melody said changing the subject and eating another gummy warm.

They sat in the park for a while longer keeping their game going. As the sun set and the gummy warms decreased they walked to the orphanage. Melody didn't want to go back she wanted to spend more time with Nick, he was leaving the day after tomorrow.

"Do you work tomorrow?" Nick asked. He intertwined his fingers with Melody's, swinging there arms as they walked.

"Nope. I'm free all day." Melody said smiling.

"Good. I want to spend all day with you."

Melody stopped walking pulling Nick closer to her. He stood in front of her wondering what she was doing.

"Nick, what's going to happen when you leave?" Melody asked wrapping her arms around Nick.

Nick's arms wound around Melody his hold on her tight. He didn't want to think about that now. He just wanted to spend time with her.

"we'll talk about that tomorrow." Nick mumbled. It was hard for him to think with Melody so close to him.

"OK." Melody said pulling out of their embrace.

They continued to walk, holding hands and sharing the last of the gummy worms. As they neared the orphanage Melody gripped onto Nick's hand. Things at the orphanage had taken a turn for the worse. Kay was doing everything in power to make Melody's life a living hell. Kay was constantly putting Melody down and telling the other kids to stay away from her. Melody was alone when she was at the orphanage, but when she was with Nick she felt complete.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Nick said hugging Melody goodbye.

"Bye."

Melody walked down the dark alley towards the orphanage. She looked back and saw Nick stood at the end of the alley waiting for Melody to return to the orphanage. She waved then continued to walk, a smile permanently on her face. Even the evil glares she was getting from Kay couldn't wipe the smile away. The treatment from the other girls was easy to ignore, but the feeling she got when she was with Nick was indescribable. He was her everything right now.

Nick felt the same about Melody. Even when he looked at the covers of teen magazines and all he saw was his ex on the cover; he always thought of Melody. She brought light into his quickly darkening world. She was the reminder that he needed to keep going on with life. She always smiled even when things were horrible. He knew something was wrong but she never let it show, he just knew her like the back of his hand.

***********************************************************************

The next day Nick stood at the end of the alley waiting for Melody. This was there new meeting place when she didn't have to work. He tapped his hand against his leg to try and keep his nerves down. He saw Kay walking down the alley, swinging her hips a little obnoxiously. She slyly walked over to Nick a big fake smile plastered her red lips.

"Hey Nick." Kay said batting her eye lashes.

"Hi Kay." Nick was unaware of the torture Kay was putting Melody through. He knew they were fighting but that was all.

"What are you doing here?" Kay asked, standing closer to Nick then was necessary.

"I'm waiting for Melody." Nick responded. He looked over Kay's head trying to find Melody.

"Oh. Well while your waiting maybe we could talk."

Nick narrowed his eyes at Kay suspiciously. "About what?"

Kay trailed a hand up Nick's arm and smiled. "Anything you'd like."

Nick pushed Kay's hand away and walked past her. He didn't like being around Kay, she just seemed so fake.

"Nick, I have to tell you something." Kay said grabbing his arm. She knew exactly what to do to make Melody's life miserable.

"What?" Nick asked his annoyance visible.

"I..." Kay needed to stall. Melody was just exiting the orphanage. "I think you and Mel are great together."

Nick was surprised, he wasn't sure what to think. Kay waited until Melody was feet from them, to the point where Kay could see Melody's confusion. Kay smirked at Melody and before Nick could turn around she pulled him to her. She crushed her lips to his, and her surprise he didn't pull away. Kay was the one to pull away she heard the satisfying sound of someone running away.

Nick pushed Kay away and turned around he saw Melody running back to the orphanage. He ran as fast as he could towards Melody.

"Melody!" He called as he ran after her. "Melody please stop!"

Melody kept running until she tripped over a rock and went tumbling to the ground. She rolled onto her back and let the tears flow from her eyes.

"Melody are you OK?" Nick asked as finally ran to where she was now laying on the ground.

"Go away." Melody sobbed.

Nick touched Melody's arm where he could see some blood.

"Mel, your bleeding."

"Go away!" Melody sobbed again. She sat up and pushed Nick back.

Nick fell backwards onto the ground. He sat in shock as Melody walked away from him.
♠ ♠ ♠
alright sorry it took so long for me to post this. I hope you like it. the next chapter is probably going to be the last one, then I'll start writting the sequal : ).