Pieces of the Heart

Chapter Four

“Hailey?” He asked, surprise evident in his voice.

Hailey bit her lip as tears ran down her face, “Hey Greg.”

“What’s wrong sweetheart? You sound upset?”

Hearing the term of endearment slip so easily off his tongue made her sigh, “Greg.”

He sighed, “Sorry, old habit.”

“Yeah,” She paused wondering how after all of these years, things had gotten so awkward between them.

“Hailey… Why did you call?”

“I- I just wanted to talk.”

“Soo…,” He trailed off.

She reached down and ran her hand over one of the pictures, “How have you been?”

He sighed, “I’ve been okay. I mean at first it was...but I’ve started seeing someone actually.”

Hailey took in a shaky breath, “Oh?”

“Yeah, it’s pretty recent; I’ve been seeing her for just over two weeks. This is actually the first time since we ended things that I’ve really felt something for someone.”

She smiled through the tears, “I’m really happy for you Greg.”

He cleared his throat, “What about you? How have you been?”

Hailey sighed; she knew what he was really asking, “It’s complicated.”

“Complicated how?”

“It just is,” she sighed.

“I miss you.”

“I miss you too but…Greg we can’t do this,” she whispered.

“No, it’s just that we were together for a long time; it’s weird not having you in my life anymore.”
“I know, it‘s weird for me too,” She agreed.

“So are you seeing anyone?”

Hailey groaned, “Yes...no… I don’t know; it‘s complicated.”

“So there is a guy?” He asked.

“Greg, can we please not talk about this?”

“Why? Is it because I know him?” He prodded.

“Greg!”

“What Hailey? I deserve to know! If it’s someone I know then after all of these years you should at least have the decency to tell me that much.”

Hailey began to cry in earnest.

He sighed, “Look Hailey, I’m sorry… I’m not going to lie to you; it still hurts. Even though it’s been six months the thought of you with someone else, especially someone I might know hurts.”

“I’m sorry Greg; I’m so, so sorry.”

“I know,” He sighed. “Look I can’t… I just, I need to go, okay?”

She sniffed, “Okay.”

“Bye Hailey.”

“Bye Greg.”

Haley sat her phone on the counter and silently made her way to her bedroom. Grabbing a pillow, she climbed into bed and hugged it tight letting the tears overcome her.

Talking to him again after so long had drug up so many memories of them as a couple. She truly had been happy with him. That had never been a problem, but as she had come to realize on that day six months ago; being happy with someone wasn’t the same as being in love with them, and in that respect it just wasn’t enough.


Hailey smiled up at Greg as he carried a food laden tray into her bedroom.

“what’s this?” She asked as she pushed a few pillows out of his way.

He sat the tray down and carefully leaned over her, “This,” he placed a kiss on her lips.

“Is an amazing breakfast for my amazing girlfriend,” He punctuated each word with a kiss.

“And what makes today so special?” She asked as she ran her hand through his hair.

Greg smiled, “Well today marks the four year anniversary of our set up.”

Hailey laughed, “That’s right; baby I can’t believe you remembered that.”

Greg’s face took on a serious look as he pushed a lock of hair behind her ear, “I love you Hailey.”

Hailey watched in confusion as Greg got down on his knee and dug through his pocket.

“Greg?” She asked as she turned to face him.

“Hailey, I know things between us haven’t always been perfect; I know I've screwed up in the past but I love you. And I know without a doubt that there is no one that I want to spend my life with than you.”

He pulled the ring box from his pocket and opened it, “Hailey Marie Higgins, will you marry me?”

Hailey brought a shaky hand to her mouth as she stared down at his hopeful face. This was supposed to be the happiest moment in her life and the easiest decision she would ever have to make; yet, all she could think of were the reasons she had to say no.  One reason in particular was standing out above the rest.

“Hailey?” he asked sounding nervous.

Hailey opened her mouth, willing the words he wanted to hear to fall from her lips, “ No.”

Greg fell back onto his butt with shock evident in his voice, “What?”

She bit her lip as she felt tears spring to her eyes and willed him to understand, “I’m sorry Greg, but I can‘t.”

He ran a hand through his hair and closed the box looking completely lost, “Can you at least tell me why?”

“I do love you Greg but I-I just don’t think it’s enough,” Hailey replied in a wavering tone that spoke volumes about how ridiculous of an excuse she knew it to be.

He hung his head and avoided her eyes before speaking quietly, “This is it for us isn’t it.”

“I think so. I'm so sorry Greg.”

Greg sighed and climbed off the floor, before walking towards the door. He paused in the doorway and stood for a moment before turning to face her, anger and pain present in his features, just staring.

He finally spoke, anger and hurt coloring his voice, after an uncomfortable silence had stretched between them, “You know what really gets me about this? We could have been happy Hailey; I could have made you happy. I don't know what else you could want.”


Greg sat there staring at his phone trying to process the conversation he had just had. Hearing from Hailey in general had been a shock; hearing her that upset had immediately put him back to months ago when he still thought they had a future together and all he had wanted to do in that moment was comfort her despite the still lingering sting of the rejection.

Greg also only knew one person who could have possibly upset Hailey that much. And of all the days Hailey could pick to call; she chose the one day that person had decided to visit. Sighing to himself Greg shoved his phone back into his pocket and headed for the kitchen slowly as he tried to come to terms with the conclusions his mind had begun jumping to.

He took the cup of coffee Kevin offered him as he walked back into the kitchen and took a seat across from him. He hadn't told Kevin who had called him but he had known the man long enough to know that he would be able to tell it hadn't gone well.

“So who was that?” Kevin inquired as he took a sip of his coffee.

Greg set his cup on the table, “Kevin, where were you last night?”

Kevin spit some of the too hot liquid back into his cup in shock, “What?”

Greg pushed his cup to the side and stared at Kevin blankly, “where were you last night?”

Kevin set his coffee cup down and returned the stare, “I was at Joe’s, why?”

Greg scoffed as he stood up from his chair, “That’s mighty funny Kevin seeing as Joe called me a three in the morning asking if you were here, so I’m going to ask you again; where were you?”

Kevin frowned up at his old friend, “Okay so I wasn’t at Joe’s, big deal; what’s it matter to you.”

“Were you at Hailey’s?” He asked, anger evident in his voice.

Kevin stood up and face his friend, “Even if I was, I still don’t see why it would matter.”

Greg clenched and unclenched his fists, “It matters because I just got off the phone with Hailey and she was extremely upset. What the fuck did you do to her Kevin?”

“What? I didn’t do anything,” He paused. “Wait she was upset?”

Greg just shook his as he walked towards his office. Reaching into the top drawer he grabbed what he was looking for and headed back to the kitchen.

Kevin looked up as he heard Greg come back into the room.

“Did Hailey ever tell you why we ended things this last time?” Greg asked as he turned the box over in his hands.

“No, why?”

Greg sighed and tossed a box to him, “That’s why.”

Looking down at the box in his hands Kevin pulled the lid; spying the ring inside his eyes flew back to Greg, “ You wanted to marry her?”

“No, I just bought the ring for shits and giggles; come on Kevin why the hell do you think I bought this house last year?”

Kevin felt his heart drop to his stomach, “ What happened?”

Greg shrugged, “She said no.”

Kevin felt like an idiot, “Garbo, look I…”

Greg cut him off coldly, “I’m not the person you should be apologizing to.”

"But Garbo...listen...I'm," Kevin tried again but shut up at the look on his friends face.

" If you tell me I'm sorry I can't guarantee that I won't hit you," Greg nearly growled and shot a significant glance at the front door of the house.

Kevin sighed, “Maybe I should leave.”

Greg scoffed, “That’s the best idea you’ve had all day.”

Kevin nodded and walked towards the door.

Greg followed him into the living room and watched as he closed the door and made his way down the front steps. He waited to hear the sound of the motor turning before he dropped to the couch in exhaustion clenching his eyes shut and letting his head drop back with a defeated sigh.
♠ ♠ ♠
leave some love <3