Pieces of the Heart

Chapter Six

Hailey sighed and adjusted the phone in her hand, “I dunno Nick, that sounds more like a family thing to me.”

“Good so you’ll be there.”

“Nick,” Hailey groaned as she ran a hand over her face in frustration.

“What? I’m sorry Hailey but if you want to continue to avoid my brother, then you are going to have to come up with a better excuse then that,” Nick’s icy voice echoed in her ear.

“What are you taking about? I’m not avoiding him,” she denied.

Nick scoffed, “That’s bullshit and you know it; I’m not stupid Hailey.”

“I never said you were Nick.”

“Then lets both be honest here and admit that the reason Kevin has been moping around for the past two weeks has absolutely nothing to do with his pending divorce and everything to do with you avoiding him.”

“And why is that Nick?”

He sighed, “Look I know what happened and I know how you feel but…”

“You have no idea how I feel Nicholas,” Hailey growled interrupting him.

“That you’re in love with Kevin, because yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve known that for a while.”

Hailey gasped, “What? No I’m…”

This time it was Nick who interrupted, “Be honest Hailey.”

Hailey groaned, “Is it that obvious?”

“Like I said, I’m not stupid.”

Hailey laughed, “No, you’re many things but stupid isn’t one of them.”

“So will you come? I mean I know things are weird between you but it’s his birthday and besides Kenzie would love to see you.”

“Ouch, way to pull out the big guns Nick.”

Nick laughed, “So is that a yes?”

Hailey bit her lip in hesitation, knowing that she would probably regret her decision.

“Yeah I’ll be there.”

--------

Hailey slammed her car door in frustration and tugged her dress into place. Of course she would be late for Kevin’s birthday dinner; nothing like making an awkward entrance. Hearing her phone beep she glanced at the screen and scowled; yet another text from Nick asking where she was. Who did he think he was Yenta?

 

Tossing her phone into her clutch, Hailey hurried into the restaurant blew past the hostess and headed to the area Nick told her they would be. Catching sight of the table she froze. Not only was Greg there with a date but the only open chair was right beside Kevin. Of course Nick would negotiate the table in such a manner to which she would have to sit beside Kevin. She was half tempted to just leave but noticing Nicks knowing smirk she knew he’d call her out so she settled with sending a glare his way. Rolling her eyes she slid a smile on her face and made her way over to Kevin who had stood up to greet her.

Momentarily putting aside the hell he had put her through she allowed him to wrap his arms around her in what was supposed to be a chaste hug.

“Happy Birthday Kevin,” she whispered as she clutched him a little tighter than was probably necessary.

“Thanks Hailey, I’ve missed you,” He returned before pulling away.

Smiling shyly she allowed him to help her in her chair. Unfolding her napkin she placed it her lap and glanced around the table. Noticing Mackenzie and Alyssa sitting between Joe and Denise she smiled once again.

“You girls being sure to take care of those library books?”

Both girls nodded excitedly but Mackenzie spoke, “Yes Ma’am and we can’t wait for next weeks story time.”

Hailey spared a glance at Nick and grinned, “Well that’s good to hear because next weeks story time is going to be extra special.”

“Really?: Alyssa squealed.

Hailey nodded, “It sure is! And all thanks to your uncle Nick who’s graciously volunteered to help out while he’s home from tour; right Nick?”

Nick glared at her before quickly smiling, “That’s right and I was just about to ask Kevin here if he’d help out, Joe too for that matter. Maybe we can play a few of the old songs for the kids.”

“Oh would you Daddy?” Mackenzie asked as she looked at Kevin with a hopeful expression.

Damn she had walked right into that one. Sending a quick glare at Nick she glanced over at Joe.

Joe sent her a quick smile and shrugged, “If the girls want it why not? It’ll be fun.”

She turned towards Kevin and had to bite her lip to keep from gasping. He was looking at her so intently and Hailey felt more than a bit uncomfortable to be the recipient of such a look in front of her ex.

“Is that okay with you Hailey?” He asked quietly.

Hailey nodded before looking down at her menu only to notice for the first time the glass of wine setting in front of her. Looking up at Kevin she smiled in thanks before taking a hesitant sip.

“So Hailey, how are you? It seems like it’s been forever since we’ve seen you,” Denise asked as she picked up her own wine glass.

“I’m doing well, thanks for asking.”

Denise smiled, “Works not keeping you too busy, I hope.”

Hailey returned the smile, “No, not at all and even when it is I love it.”

“That’s good to hear dear,” She replied awkwardly as the conversation died out.

Hailey could feel the curious stare of the brunette across from her but wasn’t sure how to address her. Glancing up at her, she sent an awkward smile her way before returning to her menu.

The girl cleared her throat causing Hailey to look up once again, “Please excuse his rudeness, I’m Bridget.”

Hailey looked over at Greg who looked at her pointedly before returning to his menu, “Nice to meet you, I’m Hailey.”

Another glance around the table proved fruitless as no one would meet her eye. Rolling her eyes Hailey returned her glance back to her menu wishing this event to go by just that much faster.

“I like your clutch Hailey; where did you get it?” Bridget asked confused by the awkwardness surrounding this group of people.

Hailey looked down at the bag and frowned as she realized who had given it to her, “ Oh, thanks… it was a gift.”

“Oh okay so, how long have you two been dating,” She asked gesturing between Hailey and Kevin.

Hailey’s eyes widened as Kevin choked on his wine. Clearing his throat he looked over at the girl in confusion, “We’re not.”

Bridget’s face turned red as she looked down at her hands, “Oh I’m sorry; I just assumed.”

“We’re just really good friends,” Hailey added.

Hearing Greg snort in response Hailey glanced at him curiously. It was the first time she’d seen him in six months and she couldn’t deny that he did look good. She also couldn’t deny the sting she felt when she first laid eyes on him; made worse by the fact that he had brought a date. But she deserved it. He deserved better, she knew that but it didn’t stop a tiny part of her from wondering just how different things would have been had she just said yes.

“So is everyone ready to order?”

Hailey glanced up at the waiter in relief as Joe started reciting his order to him.

While everyone placed their orders Hailey took the chance to look around the room. When her eyes landed on a couple in a booth across the room, she froze. Kevin was acting completely normal so he obviously hadn’t noticed but what about the rest of them. Glancing around the table Joe caught her eye and slightly shook his head. Of course Joe noticed but what should they do? They were right in Kevin’s line of vision, there was no way that he would not eventually see them.

She quickly rattled off her order trying to ignore the couple who were now holding hands.

“So Nick, how was Europe?” She asked.

“Just like always tour was hectic but fun; it’s nice to be home for a change.”

Hailey nodded, “I bet… What about you Joe? How’s the show going?” She asked referring to the sitcom Joe starred in.

Joe shrugged, “We just wrapped up filming season three, so pretty good.”

Hailey nodded as an awkward silence fell over the group once more.

When the food came Hailey was thankful for it. At least it was an excuse for the silence and maybe, just maybe it would keep Kevin from noticing the couple across the room.

It happened near the end of dinner and Hailey could tell the second Kevin spotted them. The tension poured from his body as he tossed his napkin on the table and asked to be excused. Sighing to herself Hailey sent an apologetic look to the group before getting up to follow him.

She found him outside pacing the sidewalk in front of the restaurant, “Kevin?” She spoke hesitantly.

Kevin sighed as he turned around, “how could she?”

Hailey pretended not to notice is red rimmed eyes, “She’s moving on Kevin.”

“But we’re still married!” He exclaimed.

“Not for much longer,” she countered.

“I can’t believe she’s cheating on me,” He cried as he ran a hand through his hair.

Hailey bristled, “ How is that any different that what you did?”

Kevin narrowed his eyes, “ That’s different and you know it.”

“How is that?” She asked crossing her arms.

“You’re my best friend Hailey, I came to you for comfort; it was a mistake.”

Hailey felt as if her chest was in a vice, “A mistake? Is that what I am to you?”

Kevin sighed “No, that’s not… You’re my best friend Hailey.”

“And you slept with me and walked away…twice,” She reminded him

“What is your problem Hailey?”

Hailey ran a hand through her hair in frustration ignoring the tears that streamed down her face, “What’s wrong with me?” She questioned.

She laughed through the tears, “You know that’s a good question, what is wrong with me.”

“Why did you say no Hailey?”

“What?” She gasped.

“When Greg proposed, why did you say no?” He asked.

“Because I didn’t love him, at least not enough and despite the fact that I could have very happy with him it wasn’t fair to him. He deserves better.”

“You didn’t love him enough? What does that even mean? How could you not love him enough?” He questioned angrily.

“Because I’m in love with you Kevin.”

“What?” he whispered.

“I love you Kevin and despite the fact that I just recently figured that out, I have for a while. That’s why I couldn’t marry Greg.”

Kevin gaped, “But.. I’m not… you’re my friend… we can’t,” he trailed off.

Hailey narrowed her eyes, “I’d say we’re a little more that just friends given what’s happened.”

“I don’t love you Hailey; I’m sorry but I don’t.”

Hailey felt as if she was going to break, “You know what, I’m through. Tell your family something came up,” she replied before she hurried towards her car trying her best to keep from falling apart.
♠ ♠ ♠
For those who didn't catch it Hailey compared Nick to Yenta who was the match maker in Fiddler on the Roof..

So do I need to hide? It had to happen though, lol...

Oh and if you have twitter you can follow me here: http://twitter.com/leighleigh87

And my new addiction is formspring so if you want to ask me any questions, you can ask here: http://www.formspring.me/leighleigh87

Leave some love!