‹ Prequel: It just ain't living

Would you carry me to the end

Chapter 5 Where the heart lies

Heading on a flight to New Jersey Francine wasnt sure what to expecting she actually felt for Jaslene losing her family, and the worst of all as Francine began to think was that the little girl didnt know how her family died, her parents along with her grandparents had been murdered. There was a killer on the loose that had murdered four innocent people but as Francine saw it that wasnt her concern, her problem was looking out for little Jaslene Madden and getting her cared for and she was hoping that would be in the biological mother of Sienna Wilton.

Phillip had been at home after a long day at the church he was looking forward to catching up with Mikey who would be coming around for dinner that night, One thing Phillip was pleased with was that Mikey and himself were able to discuss the problem regarding the child and work out there differences and not allow it to ruin the close friendship both had formed.

Getting dinner ready Phillip heard a knock at the door, walking to the front door he opened it and saw Mikey standing there.
“Hi Phil”
“Good evening Michael, please come in”

Mikey followed Phillip in to the kitchen where Phillip had been preparing dinner.
“So what have you been up to?” Phillip asked
“I’ve mainly been getting things organised to go away which I’m looking forward to and today I went and saw Sienna, and then that’s it pretty much”

Phillip and Mikey continued to talk while Phillip cooked dinner when all of a sudden the doorbell went “Michael do you mind getting that for me”
Mikey nodded and walked to the front door and answered it seeing an older woman standing there with a briefcase in her hand.
“Hi can I help you?” Mikey asked not knowing who this woman was
Francine spoke “Ahh yes I was wondering if I could speak to a Sienna Wilton please?”
Mikey looked at her for a moment he had never been asked this before and had never had to tell anyone that his wife had passed away as all his friends and family were well aware of it.
“Um...I’m sorry but my wife passed away six months ago” Mikey said with sad eyes

Francine looked at him disappointed not wanting to hear that “Oh...I’m very sorry for your loss...My name is Francine and I am from children services, Are you Mr Wilton?”
“Children Services...Ah no I’m Michael Way, A Mr Wilton would be Sienna’s father...Is there anything I can help you with?”
“Yes indeed you will be able to help me...May I come in please?”
“Sure” Mikey replied as he lead Francine in to the lounge room where he asked her to sit while he went and got Phillip from the kitchen
“Who’s there?” Phillip asked
“Some woman named Francine from Children Services, she wants to see you” Mikey replied

Phillip went in to the lounge where Francine was seated as Mikey followed behind, getting up Francine introduced her self to Phillip and shook his hand
“Can I as why you’re here? My son in law and I are confused at how we can help you” Phillip said

Francine settled herself back on the sofa while the two men looked at her with confusion “Well the reason why I’m here is I was looking through the adoption paper’s and I found out that Sienna Wilton was the biological mother of a child I currently and looking after...The reason why I am here is that this is Sienna’s biological child”

Both men stared at her with disbelief, Mikey couldn’t believe the words that were coming out of Francine’s mouth
“I thought those files had been sealed?” Phillip asked
“They had Mr Wilton but unfortunately they have become unsealed as the child in question her family were murdered and we are looking for living arrangements for this child and as there is currently no family for this child we were looking for the biological mother”
“What is the child’s name?” Mikey asked
“Her name is Jaslene Madden she is four years old”
“How can we help you?...I’m sorry but my daughter passed away 6 months ago from cancer?” Phillip responded
“I’m very sorry to hear that...but I feel that you can help me...You Mr Wilton are currently the only living family of Jaslene, we are looking to find her a home where a family member can raise her, biologically you are her grandfather”
“I’m sorry Francine but I can not look after a 4 year old child...I’m sure there must be some family for this child” Phillip responded

Mikey looked on unable to say anything, he started to think on what Sienna would do and he knew what she would have wanted.
“Excuse me Mr Way...You are Sienna’s husband, have you ever thought of looking after a child even it is for a temporary time?”

Mikey couldn’t “Ahh...um...I...have never thought about it...how could I look after this child I was only Sienna’s husband?”
“You are classified as family and custody would either go to you or Mr Wilton unless you placed her up for adoption then the state would look after her”

Mikey didnt know what to do, he knew that if given the option he would say no, he was starting to get on with his life and moving on but at the same time he could hear Sienna’s voice in the back of his mind telling him to do this that life works in mysterious ways

“Um...I’m in a band and I’ll be going on tour shortly...would that not affect her?”
“If anything Mr Way we are looking for a stable home but at the moment we are looking at getting Jaslene in temporary care, as there are other children that need foster homes...Look I don’t need an answer today...I’ll be in New Jersey for the next few days...so please think about it and give me a call in a day and tell me how you feel about this and we can go from there”
“Ok...um do you have a photo of her?”
“Yes of course I do” Francine replied, opening her briefcase she pulled out a picture of Jaslene, as soon as Mikey saw her he could see that she was splitting image of Sienna.

Leaving shortly after Mikey sat in the lounge astonished at what had just happened and what he had found out, Phillip stared at him “Michael this would be a huge responsibility are you sure your ready for this?
“I don’t know but I know Sienna would want me to do it...did you see her she looked just like Sienna”
“Yes I did”
“Don’t you want to know your granddaughter, there is something out there that has a part of Sienna, its’s like I feel compelled to help this little girl”
“I do but she has been through so much....I will be there for you Michael in what ever decision you make” Phillip replied

After talking some more Mikey drove home thinking about the nights events he just didnt know what to do he wanted to help but should he was a different story.