‹ Prequel: It just ain't living

Would you carry me to the end

Chapter 9 And I will learn

As Mikey walked in he continued to hold jaslene’s hand who gripped it with all her might as she was scared at seeing three unfamiliar faces stariing at her with huge smiles on their faces.

Trying to hide behind Mikey while she held teddy, Mikey picked her up in his arms where Jaslene rested her head on his chest not wanting to look at anyone.

Rubbing her back Mikey tried to make Jaslene feel comfortable, Slowly Jaslene started to poke her head around to see if anyone was still looking at her, a smile spread across her face as she made eye contact with Donna who poked her tongue out in order to make Jaslene feel at ease.

Mikey looked at Jaslene and smiled, he placed her down where she still hid behind his legs

“Jaslene it’s ok” Mikey said trying to pull Jaslene softly from out behind his legs.
Donna knelt down and spoke “Hello I’m Donna, What’s your name?”
“Jaslene” Jaslene whispered
“Well it’s nice to meet you Jaslene” Donna said putting her hand out to shake Jaslene’s.

Jaslene grabbed Donna’s hand and started to giggle as she found it very funny, Phillip watched his granddaughter fill the room with laughter as though she was already comfortable where she was.

Mikey introduced Jaslene to his father and then proceeded to introduce jaslene to Phillip, Phillip smiled as tears softly slid down his face in a joy of happiness “Hello I’m Phillip” Phillip said with a soft smile Jaslene looked up trying to work out why he was crying, in a soft voice she replied “Are you sad?”
“No darling I’m not...just very happy to see you”

Jaslene ran back to Mikey who scooped her up in his arms where she gave him a big hug “Do I get my surprise” she said with a cheesy grin on her face showing all of her teeth
“Hmm...that all depends...You need to tell me what you think of your room first” Mikey replied
“Okay” Jaslene said

Walking to where the spare room was Mikey opened the door where he was surprised and shocked at what he saw, his mother had basically revamped the room, the double bed was gone and replaced with a single and there a pink doona and pillows, Mikey could also see pictures that had been hung up of butterflies and fairies, besides that he could see a doll house and a basket full of toys. He was literally in shock he couldn’t believe that his mother had done this for him.

Turing around he smiled towards his mother who acknowledged him.
“Mikey” Jaslene squealed “is this my surprise because its pretty” Jaslene got up on her bed where she started to jump up and down.
“Maybe it is...Maybe it isn’t” Mikey said with a smirk
“Mikey why are there other people here?”
Mikey tried to explain as best he could “Well Donna and Don, that’s my mum and dad and well Phillip is my wife’s father”
“What’s a wife?”
“Well you know how your Mummy and Daddy were married?” Jaslene just nodded “Well I was too”
“Where is she now?” Jaslene asked interested wanting to know where Mikey’s wife was.

Mikey popped Jaslene beside him where they could both sit on the bed, grabbing his wallet he pulled out a photo of Sienna, he showed Jaslene “That was my wife...but she passed away” Mikey said with sadness
“Has she gone to heaven that’s where my Mummy, Daddy, Grandma and Grandpa are”
“Yeh honey she has gone to heaven...Enough of that I have to show you your surprise...but first I think I’m going to have to tickle and chase you”
Jaslene jumped off the bed and started to giggle and run as fast as her little legs would carry her, running in to the kitchen where Donna was making a coffee for Don and Phillip “Donna...Donna...help me Mikey is gonna tickle me” She squealed

Walking slowly in to the kitchen, Mikey smiled at his mother who had hidden Jaslene. Softly Mikey crept around the kitchen opening cupboard doors calling Jaslene’s name, he could hear a faint giggle, Looking under the kitchen table he spotted her “Ha there you are...you cant get away now”

Picking her up Mikey started to tickle her belly where Jaslene wriggled and was in a fit of giggles “Mikey stop it” she squealed
After a few moments Mikey did stop, Jaslene looked at him unsure of what to do next “What’s up Jaslene?”
“I’m hungry and Mummy makes sure I have a bath too”

Mikey looked over at his mother for help he was unsure of what to do next “Mikey why don’t you run a bath for Jaslene, you know where the towels are while I prepare dinner and then Missy Moo can go to bed”

Mikey made sure for Jaslene to say goodbye to Phillip who was heading home, “Goodbye Jaslene I will see you soon” he replied smiling

Mikey walked Phillip to the door “Michael I think you have done a wonderful think by having Jaslene here, she so much looks like Sienna I was shocked when I first saw her...But I am very proud of you and glad you have taken this next step I Know Sienna would be proud as well” Phillip said giving Mikey a hug

“Thanks Phillip...I know you wont be able to spend much time with her once we leave but feel free to come over after all she is your granddaughter and I hope to be able to tell her that one day and about Sienna as well”
“In time Michael you will be able to” Phillip said as he walked to the car.

Walking back inside Mikey looked around for Jaslene, looking in the kitchen he saw that she was standing on a chair watching Donna cut up vegetables
“Jaslene...How bout you go and have a bath?”

Slowly Jaslene got off the chair and walked over to Mikey while still watching Donna prepare dinner, Walking her in to her room from her suit case he found some clean PJ’s for her, he took her in to the bathroom where he ran her a warm bath and placed her in, while finding a hairbrush and comb she could use to play in the bath.

Walking out he closed the door partly and went to see if his mother needed any help “Mikey where is Jaslene?”
“She’s in the bath...playing”
“Michael” Donna screeched, Mikey knew when he heard his mother say that he was in trouble “You cant leave her by herself...She is still a baby..she could drown and you need to wash her and wash her hair” Donna finished as she whacked Mikey behind the head
“Ouch Ma...I’ll go back now” Mikey replied as he bolted back to the bathroom where he opened the door quietly and saw that Jaslene was playing with the brush and comb but he had also noticed all the water that was on the floor.

Sitting down on the floor he made sure to wash her and scrub her hair, he hadn’t realised what he was really in for and with that he started to question himself what am I doing...can I do this???

Mikey shook his head and got Jaslene out of the bath where he got her dressed and settled in for dinner.
Mikey wasnt sure how he was gonna do being a parent but he hoped to embrace it.