Remember

ichi

Golden rays cascade over his milky complexion, warming him with its touch. He misses these days, back in the forest, in the carefree days of childhood. Instinctively, he feels his finger reach for the blade at his side; fingertips caress its cool metal. It had become a part of him, all those years ago…

He sits up, flicking the blonde locks out of his eyes. It was hard to remember without it hurting. He wants to go back, wants to just forget. Before, all he knew was the forest. But Hyrule is his home now; it’s him. A familiar face flashes across his frazzled mind, stinging him back to a place he’s tried so hard to suppress.

She flashes him a sunlit smile, tilting her head to the left in mock innocence. A breeze ripples through the clearing, blowing her emerald hair in a perfect fashion around her face. He returns a slight smile, trying hard not to stare.

“Follow me!” she calls, fluttering around the trees, meshing almost unconsciously with the winged bugs around her.


He dips his hand into the cool blue river below him, disrupting the perfect pattern as he twirls through it carelessly. His eyes trail lazily up to the marshmallow dotted sky, blinking away the faces that appear; blinking away her face.

He scrambles over the fallen tree branch, desperately trying to keep up with her ringing laughter.

“Catch me if you can!”

He stumbles out in to the clearing, breath never seeming to reach his lungs no matter how much he sucks in. Which way now? Far to his right he hears her musical voice. Even so far away, it still mesmerizes him.


As he lies there, he can almost swear that it’s her voice, being carried on the wind. But he knows of its impossibility, its absurdity. Heroes shouldn’t hurt like this. They take blow after blow, damage after damage. But never this. So why is he?

He finally gives in to his heaving lungs, collapsing into the feathery grass. His eyes fall asleep, leaving his mind to wander. Arms wave through the greenery: up, down, up, down.

The birds congregate overhead, singing him into a peaceful coma. A laugh floats over his ears, coating his conscious in a sweet melody. He feels her presence melt into the grass next to him, and a smile bursts over his face. If the world were to end right then, he would live forever on that moment.


He mimics his position in the grass from all that time ago, transporting himself back to his childhood home. And he knows that she’s next to him, just waiting to sing his fading heart back to life. So there they lay, hero and sage, side by side once again, if only in his memories. But it would forever be enough to remember.