The End.

"In this, I see God."

"It won't take long. Not at my age."

He spoke as the girl approached him, the soles of her shoes making quiet clicks on the ground. But he had known she observed silently, witnessing a few moments of Eric's weakness; the last time he'd ever be with his maker. His father, his brother, his love, his life.

"You know, it wasn't very smart," she remarked. Sookie, he believed her name was. "The Fellowship of the Sun part." He refrained from chuckling darkly. It was not a wise move, he knew, but at the time, in his own mind, he thought it might have been beneficial.

It's quite obvious to him now that he was wrong.

"I know. I thought it might..fix everything, somehow," he told her truthfully. "But I don't think like a vampire anymore." Turning his gaze away from the horizon, where buildings stood, and the sky went on as far as both vampire and human eyes could see, he looked at Sookie. Somber, his expression was, but sentimental, at the same time. "Do you believe in God?"

"Yes."

He turned his entire body to her; his small frame only slightly bigger due to muscle and an inch or two added to height. "If you're right," he began, "how will he punish me?" The question had been plaguing his thoughts since he decided on his actions there.

She shook her head as she responded, her light hair swinging behind her with her small movements. "God doesn't punish. He forgives." Pain lingered on her face, in her eyes. Her voice was soft, and with the breeze blowing towards Godric, he could feel the warmth on her breath carry with the gentle current. It was as if he could feel the life in her, through that small amount of heat that he rarely ever experienced.

"I don't deserve it." He paused, blinking, shaking his head. "But I hope for it."

"We all do," she agreed.

His thoughts took another direction. "You care for him? Eric?" he asked, curiosity taking a slight hold of him.

She grinned weakly, shaking her head. "I'm not sure; you know how he is."

"I can take the blame for that, too," Godric grinned, memories from their centuries together flashing in his thoughts.

"Maybe not," she objected. "Eric's pretty much himself."

As he let the grin grow slightly weaker, he hoped that, maybe, the girl could help Eric, assist him in getting over the pain that would come once Godric would face the fate he chose. One of the few regrets he has about doing this is knowing he'd cause his child hurt. But it was for the better. He knew it was.

The skin on the back of his neck, his back, through the fabric of the shirt, tingled weakly, beginning to burn. He savored this. The heat. The burning. The pain. It was all he had left to savor, anyways.

"Are you very afraid?" Sookie asked him, her voice audibly cracking.

"No," he turned to her, grinning again. "No. I'm full of joy."

"But the pain." She was trembling. Her eyes had begun to water.

"I want to burn." Honest, that's all he was. What point was there to lie, anyway? What would he gain from it, lying to a human girl he barely knew?

"Well..I'm afraid for you." The salty, clear drops slid down her cheeks. Her cheeks that held color, warmth, unlike his own skin. She was watching him die. The grin vanished; he was the cause of her pain, too, now. But he didn't dwell on the thought; instead another thought hit him like the taste of blood on his tongue.

"A human with me at the end? And human tears?" His eyebrows were raised, creating small wrinkles in his forehead. His lips spread into a smile, a chuckle escaping past them. "Two thousand years, and I can still be surprised." Genuine surprise laced his tone, and he could honestly say that he felt happy. "In this, I see God."

She didn't reply to him this time. Only more tears fell off her face.

He turned away, facing light. Authentic light.

"Goodbye, Godric."

The last words he ever heard.

Godric walked towards the rising sun, and she backed away a few steps. He slid off his shirt, and put his arms out. For the first time in two thousand years, he felt the sunlight on his skin, the warmth spreading all over him. His eyelids fell, and even with his eyes closed, he could still see light.

When the gentle breeze came back, he felt himself rise away into the sun.