‹ Prequel: Whispers in the Dark
Sequel: The Coolest

To Be Loved

1/1

Look at him in the eyes. See your killer and your savior.

This is the last night that I will make excuses for the bruises. But I'll be damned if I give in. My mother was nothing more than a bloody mess. My little brother was terrified of his own shadow. I knew my time was almost out.

But I refuse to give up.

"Get the hell out of my way," I barked, swinging the bat. The jingle of my keys was the only thing heard, echoing off of the walls of a broken home.

He broke that open home.

"This is my house, you don't tell me what to do!" he yelled, raising his fist in a drunken rage. I quickly used my left hand to make sure that my brother was behind me before commencing my revenge.

Broken nose, bruised fist, bloody mouth, kicked stomach, bashed legs-this is everything you have done to my family and me. This is retribution. This was being avenged sevenfold.

It felt amazing.

"This will be the last time you ever lay your hands on anyone I love again," I snarled to his curled body. He had no anger in his eyes now-I beat that out of him. He just stared, helpless and scared. The predator turned prey. I dropped the bat and picked up Cam and proceeded outside.

I was able to place Cam in his baby seat, but before I could even go to my side of the car I saw him. He was now holding my former weapon, yelling at me loud enough to wake the dead.

"You bitch!" he started making his way towards me before I reached into my jacket pocket. It was what I pulled out that made him stop.

Freedom encased in a metal jacket.

"Go back inside. Wait for the police," I said steadily, pointing the gun right between his bloodshot eyes. "I don't care how drunk you are; you come an inch towards me-"

He laughed, like he always did when I threatened him. "And what?"

I shrugged and aimed for his leg, shooting it. Howling in pain like a caged animal, he growled obscenities at me.

"Watch your mouth," I hissed aiming the gun back to his head. He paled, giving me the exact look I've always craved.

Fear.

He trembled, looking at me for several seconds before it was replaced with disdain. I just kept looking at him coldly until I heard sirens in the distance.

"Goodnight my little bitch," I spat before walking towards my car and keying the engine. We rode in silence before Cam piped up sleepily,

"The bad man gone now?"

I looked behind us, the prison we called home merely a speck in the distance.

"Yeah, little guy. The bad man is gone now."

Cam tiredly nodded off before I turned up the CD player a little bit, hoping the song was something he liked.

"Take your past-
Burn it up and let it go.
Carry on; I'm stronger than you'll ever know.
That's the deal,
You get no respect.
You gonna get yours-
You better watch your fuckin’ neck.
Take your past-
Burn it up and let it go.
Carry on; I'm stronger than you'll ever know.
That's the deal,
You get no respect.
You gonna get yours-
You better watch your fuckin’ neck."

I grinned to myself, turning into the intersection.

Fitting.