Sequel: Hopeful Liars
Status: Complete

My Wings Are Black

Blood In The Water

Image

It appeared the sun hadn’t even woken up yet as Fred pulled his Quidditch robes over his head. He yawned sleepily, barely listening to George’s grumbling about early morning Quidditch practice and how he’d like to give Harry some untested puking pastilles. His vision was clouded with lack of rest, he hadn’t been able to drift back into the world of dreams after he had awoke during the night, by the mysterious screaming. No-one else had heard it, it had been a far away echo, remaining after his dreams had ended.

But something wasn’t right. Deep in his bones, Fred could feel it. Like there was an unnatural chill in the air, as if the sky was waiting for something to happen. He could swear that less birds were singing than normal, that a denser mysterious mist lay low on the grass.

Fred flinched as he remembered the screams. They hadn’t been any screams, they’d been screams of unbearable pain, of agonising torturing. Screams that wished for death, just so the pain would stop. He did not wish to hear them again but there was a meaning behind it…something was going to happen today.

Without realising it, Fred’s mind turned to Odette. About her scared face as she talked to Draco, her trembling voice and body as he had embraced her. A strange sensation went through him, he needed to see her today, to know she was alright…

All was not right in the magical world, or indeed in the world of Fred Weasley.

Fred managed to push his worried thoughts to the back of his mind as he grabbed his Cleansweep and followed his brother to the Quidditch pitch. He smiled as he reached the smooth even grass of the stadium. Here, he was free.

He soared into the air, only wincing slightly as he pressed some rather sore boils in strange places, results from experimental magic, against the body of his broom. But even that couldn’t ruin his happy mood now. He forgot everything, only concentrating on the comforting weight of his beaters bar in his hand, the smiling face of his brother and best friend and the rather hilarious red, wet face of Harry as George conjured a water balloon and hit him.

Fred chuckled quietly as Harry yelled himself hoarse at George, who took it like a man, grinning broadly. Harry soared away from George before he punched him and settled himself in the air by the Keeper’s Hoops. Fred lazily flew up to him, tugging Ginny’s pony-tail playfully and settled next to the Captain.

“Chill Potty, you’ll give yourself high blood pressure”, he grinned, stretching his arms above his head, gripping the broom with his legs.

Harry rolled his eyes, and rubbed his scar “I swear to Merlin, you and your brother…”

Harry didn’t finish his sentence, his eyes catching something in the grounds far away. Fred watched Harry for a moment and then followed his gaze. Fred squinted against the morning sun which was slowly rising and then his own eyes found the dark mass that was lying in the ground by the lake. He couldn’t quite make out what it was but the unnerving turn of his stomach told him it was not good.

“What is that?,” he asked Harry quietly.

Harry shrugged “Dunno, training’s over now, we’ll find out”,

He blew the whistle and the team landed, dismounting and most of them began to walk back to the castle for breakfast. Fred didn’t bother putting his broom away, but kept it with him as he walked with Harry in curiosity to find out what the dark bundle was. They were joined by Ron, George and Hermione who had come down to the stands to catch up on light reading (a two thousand page charms book).

They neared the strange object and Fred realised with a thudding heart, it was a person. They stopped as they neared the lake and gazed down for a moment. The body lay half in, half out of the water, as if they had fallen into the lake and had no strength to pull themselves out. Red stains were coating the water surface in places, indicating severe wounds. They appeared limp and lifeless.

Fred’s breathing came raggedly as he recognised the figure immediately. Her long dark hair was covering her face but he knew her. He’d know her anywhere.

“Odette..”, he gasped and stumbled into the water, wrapping his hands around her lifeless body and pulling her into his arms.

Her head tilted back and he could see dark bruising around her neck, and a deep maze of wounds coating her shoulders, cheeks ad throat. Her nose was bleeding, her lip was split. By the feel of tears in her robes he knew these injuries only scratched the surface. He could hardly breathe as he wobbled out of the water, unable to look at the damaged face. Who would do such a thing?

He knew who…the person she called Master…the man she’d follow to death. Voldemort.

A burning hatred rose in Fred so suddenly he almost stumbled back in shock. He was overcome with a revenge, for a desire to murder the man who had killed the girl he loved. Who had damaged her beautiful body…

George’s hands reached out to take Odette from Fred but Fred staggered backwards “No! Leave her alone!,” he shouted at his twin, not caring as his face fell in hurt. No-one would harm her again…

“Give her ‘ere laddie…” the kind, gentle voice of Hagrid pierced through Fred’s maddening exterior and allowed him to see reason. He looked up at the giant man, his vision blurring in tears now and as Hagrid smiled, he allowed him to take her body from his arms. Harry must have ran to fetch him.

They all followed as Hagrid walked quickly back to his hut, and filed into the large room. Hagrid lay Odette gently down on his oversize bed, and her robes dripped water onto the floor. Fred noticed the droplets were also mixed with blood. He looked away, sitting down heavily and groaned.

Hagrid pressed his huge hand against Odette’s forehead and then held her wrist gently between her fingers. He looked over at Fred “She’s not dead Fred”,

“What?” Fred gasped, and ran over to the bed, placing his hand against her chest. And then he could feel the slow frail beat of her heart.

“She needs Madam Pomfrey, now!” Hermione’s voice was sharp but Fred ignored her;

“Odette, love…can you hear me. It’s Fred…wake up Odette. Please…!”

Fred begged into her ear, not caring as the others witnessed him brush her face tenderly with his hands. He choked back a sob as a murmur came from her mouth.

“Odette, it’s Fred love…open your eyes”,

Her eyelids flickered slowly and for a moment she gazed weakly at Fred. She tried to raise her hand and cupped his face, he held her hand there, trying to disguise the worry on his face, and then the pain at the words that left her mouth;

“Draco…Fred…please, get Draco…”

Fred blinked “But you’re hurt Odette…”

“Only Draco”, she whispered, her eyes fluttering closed again.

Fred looked desperately at Harry who after a moment nodded curtly. He stepped outside, conjuring his patronus and ordering the regal stag to fetch the Malfoy heir.

They stood in silence for a tense ten minutes, not knowing what to say. Only Odette’s ragged breathing, clinging onto life broke the silence until a series of ragged knocks sounded at the door.

Hermione opened it and Draco rushed in, not bothering to shoot any rude comments. He looked wildly around before finding Odette and rushing over to her.

“Odette..”,

Harry had never heard pain or worry for another being ever cross Draco’s voice until now. The word came out a whimper, as if he were holding back tears. He caressed her face, kissing her lips and Harry noticed the flash of agony that ran across Fred’s face as he did so.

Odette opened her eyes again, weakly and attempted a twisted smile “I’m…okay..”, she whispered and then coughed. Draco winced as blood spattered her chin. He gathered her in his arms, ignoring the sounds of protest from Fred and pain from Odette. He soothed her hair and then shot a look at the gathered Gryffindors;

“Not a word to anyone, unless you value your lives,” he spoke sharply, staring burning eyes at Hermione who narrowed her eyes back. He began out the door, pausing in the frame before looking back at them all hesitantly…he hated doing this;

“T..thanks”, he managed to choke out before disappearing up the pathway towards the castle.

The others began to talk immediately but Fred looked after Draco and Odette, watching her limp hand swaying as Draco walked. Voldemort had done that to her, but why? She was the chosen one…why would he hurt her like that?

Fred sighed, running a wet hand through his hair. Because he was Voldemort…that’s why.