Sequel: Hopeful Liars
Status: Complete

My Wings Are Black

I Just Want To Keep You Safe

Odette looked at herself in her bedroom mirror. She felt empty, completely and utterly empty. Nothing felt the same anymore. Nothing felt real. She was away from everything she had ever loved or had made her feel like a real person. Hogwarts, Fred, Draco...they were all miles away and once again, she was on her own.

Her bedroom had been untouched since her last visit at Christmas, thanks to the charm she had put on the door, not permitting any visitors until she herself returned. But even here, didn’t feel right anymore. She missed everything. The feel of the students in the castle, the relaxing atmosphere of the Slytherin Common Room on a Sunday afternoon, the excitement and anticipation that thrilled through every student in the castle before a Quidditch match...it was all gone. Even the feel of Fred’s hands in hers, the warmth of his lips as they pressed against her cheek, and her own cold, pale lips. She closed her eyes, pressing her pale face into her hands, and ignoring Styx who hissed words of comfort to her from her position around the bed post.

Odette jumped violently when she felt two cold hands touch the bare skin of her shoulders. She opened her eyes, looking into the mirror, and two green eyes, identical to her own, stared back. Odette had inherited her mother’s sparkling eyes, that could cut down an enemy with one violent stroke.

Odette froze under her mother’s touch. She had never felt any real affection towards the woman, and her thoughts had always been to impress her father, and make him love her. To Odette, Monika Silver, had always been...weak and stupid.

“I’m surprised you’ve left your quarters,” Odette spoke coldly to her mother, who began to stroke her elegant fingers through Odette’s silky raven hair. Her eyes followed the glistening strands and then flickered up in a daze towards her daughter’s reflection.

“I wanted to see you, my love. “

Odette snorted and Monika glared at her, before her eyes fell again on Odette’s hair and onto her shoulder where there was a dark bruise pressed into the creamy skin. She touched it, and jumped when Odette flinched away. “You angered your father. You know better.”

“Father chooses when to be angry at me, I can do my very best at everything and still it won’t be enough. I’m sick of him and his rules. He’s nothing.” Odette allowed her voice to lace with venom and her mother hissed at her, Odette smirked at her mother. “I’ll laugh down upon his body before my time is through,” she whispered in Parseltongue, but of course, her mother did not speak the tongue of snakes and only glared down at her daughter.

“Do not mock my lack of ability Odette, and don’t speak such words about your father. He deserves your respect.”

Odette rolled her eyes at her mother, “just leave. I do not wish to speak to you right now. You disgust me mother, you’re weak and pathetic. Go back to your reflection. I think I see a wrinkle.”

Monika gasped at the sting of Odette’s words, yet knowing they were true, said nothing. But her vanity could not be helped as she raised her hand to her face, and ran out the door, to her quarters where an assortment of magical creams and potions lay in wait for her use to make her even more beautiful than she already was.

Odette slumped on her bed, and the pang of longing came over her again. She hated it here. She felt trapped and alone. She felt like a prisoner. She missed Draco, and she missed Fred. Even to see him, would make thing better.

She felt the presence of Amelia enter the room before she saw her silvery form out of the corner of her eye. She rose herself from her bed, sinking her head into her green velvet pillows, and gazed at the ghost of her great great aunt.

Amelia looked at Odette and smiled sadly at her, floating over, her dress swirling around her bare feet. “You are troubled, child.”

Odette’s lips twitched sadly, “I’m always troubled Aunt Amelia. I do not know what to do. I have my duties for the Dark Lord, yet my heart screams at me to protect him, to help him.”

Amelia, not knowing what exactly Odette was talking about just nodded her head in sympathy. “Life has a way of working out for everyone in the end Odette. You are young, you will learn.” But something troubled the ghost, a look in her niece’s eyes. The look of love found and lost. The look of a love you would die for. The look of love, Amelia knew all too well.

“You are in love Odette.” Amelia stated, so quietly, it was almost a whisper.

Odette stared at her aunt, but she did not seem annoyed, or disappointed. Just sad. She also looked like she understood. “Yes, Amelia. I am in love.”

Often Odette found it hard to look at Amelia. Not only did the glimmer of her ghostly appearance tend to hurt you eyes after a while, but to Odette, it seemed like she was looking at herself, just slightly older. Amelia died young; she was not yet twenty-five. Her hair, in the portraits around the manor, was like Odette’s, a startlingly raven colour. Her eyes, a flashing green. She wore the same half smile that Odette possessed, a mouth that you knew held a thousand secrets. They both bore a beauty that was blinding. They were alike in so many ways, more than even Odette knew.

“Love, love, love,” Amelia spoke to herself as she floated through the bed, her gaze far away, “it hurts, doesn’t it.”

Something cold shot through Odette and she suddenly asked a question she never had before, “Amelia...how did you die?”

Amelia looked at Odette and smirked, and Odette could have sworn she was staring into mirror, at herself, a hundred years ago. “I fell in love,” her aunt whispered.
~

“I was twenty-two at the time, “Amelia spoke to Odette, examining long fingernails, in a bored fashion. “He was twenty-five and he was the most beautiful man, I’d ever seen. His name was Xavier. Xavier Samuels. And I loved him from the first moment he held my hand in his.”

Amelia looked at Odette, “I continued to see him, apparating to all these secret places. He was a wizard, but a muggle born one at that you see. My father would have been disgusted. And my brothers. They would have killed him, and then killed me...or married me off to someone horrible.” Amelia shuddered, “Those nights were the best in my life, we walked the beaches of Italy, and we made love under the stars. I gave him my virginity you know; I knew I’d never want another like him. He was perfect, in every way imaginable.”

“What happened?” Odette whispered, though she had a feeling, she already knew the rest of the story.

“My family found out, of course,” Amelia whispered, her eyes lowering and a tear rolling from her eye to the tip of her nose, “And they fought him when we declared we would get married. That we loved each other, no matter what. My brother Ignatius, your great great grandfather, he killed Xavier, with one killing curse. Poof, my love was dead.”

“My father locked me in my room, he took away my wand...but he never thought I would do what I did. I took the rope, the golden rope that held back the curtains from the windows and I hung myself, the very same night that my Xavier had been robbed of life. I wanted to be with him...but I never acknowledged my fear of death itself...and I stayed behind. Xavier had always been brave and true. He went straight on. And I’m cursed to walk the earth like this, for all eternity.”

Odette stared with wide eyes, as Amelia pushed down the high collar of her dress, and showed her niece the dark bruising marks, made by the rope that had choked her of life.
Amelia moved closer to Odette, and pushed back a strand of her hair, placing her icy cold hand on her cheek, “I think history may be repeating itself once again,” she whispered and floated away, leaving Odette frozen in the dark.

~

The next morning, Odette woke to her mark burning and she knew it was time. She dressed herself carefully, dressed for the night, a midnight black dress that swept the floor when she walked, and she threw her cloak on, the hood hiding her face from curious eyes. She looked at herself before she left, her eyes ringed with dark circles from lack of sleep. She looked like a ghost herself, she was haunted.

She knelt on the ground in front of her master, her forehead touching the stone floor, “My Lord, I have come,” she whispered.

Lord Voldemort circled his swan, and with a long skeletal finger, drew her up to a stand. She looked him in the eyes, her green orbs fiery with a passion that excited him. Bellatrix was circling the room and Odette could feel the jealous stares burning her. Odette looked at her master again, and smirked, knowing he would love it.

“My Lord,” she whispered again, allowing her tongue to roll around the words, and she licked her lips, stepping closer so her body was a mere inch from his, “Let me go, before Draco calls, let me help him. You know what he is like, he’s a boy, and he could make a mistake with his nerves. Let me go to him, for female guidance.”

She dropped her head slightly, looking at her master under her long lashes, and Voldemort chuckled, “Fly my Swan, fly fast. Tonight will be a night to remember and if all is done right, a night to rejoice.”

Odette bowed, “Yes, my lord.” And with one cutting glance at Bellatrix, she swept from the room, from the house, and into the sky.

~

Fred was lying on his bed, alone and mourning the loss of Odette. He missed her terribly as she was missing him. He ignored the first tapping on the window and then when it persisted, his eyes widened, no, she couldn’t have. Not the way her father was with her. It looked like he would lock her into the bedroom and never let her free.

He opened the window, crying out with delight when the black eagle swooped in, and transfigured back into his Odette. “Fred,” she gasped, and fell into his arms, “Oh, Fred. I’ve missed you!”

She kissed him desperately, her fingers clawing at him and Fred moaned at the feel of her tongue licking his lips again, her mouth roving his neck. She pulled away, looking at the sky. It was dark, and stars were beginning to litter the night. “It’s late,” she whispered, almost to herself.

She brought her eyes back to Fred, who stopped kissing her and looked into her face. He stilled, “Odette, why are you back?” he whispered.

“There is work, work that needs to be done,” she whispered, her hand reaching into her cloak pocket.

“What kind of work Odette?” Fred whispered again, a note of urgency creeping into his voice, “What are you going to do?”

“I have to help Draco. I’m sorry Fred,” she whispered, and with all her strength she pushed him back, so he hit his bed, spawning back onto the covers. She pinned him down, and when he struggled, she cried out, “Stop Fred, I’m protecting you, can’t you see?”

“Odette, stop!” Fred kicked out at herm but she had uncorked the potion vial in her hand and with one hand on his throat, brought the other to his mouth, tipping the contents down his neck and into his stomach. Fred’s eyes widened in shock when the potion hit him, and his gaze was angry as he looked at Odette, and then betrayed which hurt her even more. Gradually, his eyes closed and his body ceased fighting and became still.

Tears dripped from Odette’s eyes, and she caressed Fred’s cheek as she kissed his mouth again and again. “I’m sorry Fred, my love. I’m sorry, forgive me,” she whispered, “It’s the only way to keep you safe tonight, I’m sorry.”

She stood up and turned to leave, pushing her hood back up to shield her face when George entered the room. He stopped at the sight of Fred, and looked at the person he knew instantly was Odette, “What did you do Odette?”

“I’m keeping him safe,” she whispered. “He’ll awake in a few hours, but for now he sleeps.”

Before George could say any more, Odette ran from the room, pushing past startled students who could not see who she was under her cloak. She walked swiftly through the corridors of Hogwarts, and finally reached the Room of Requirement, where Draco was waiting.

“Where were you?” he whispered harshly.

“Taking care of some business,” she snapped, “Are you sure it’s ready? No mistakes.”

Draco nodded, “I’m positive,” he pulled back his sleeve so his Dark Mark was in full view. Odette removed her hood, and swept her hair to one side. They both held their wands out and she looked at him, “together?”

They pressed their wands against their marks, both hissing as they burned, and inside her head, Odette heard Voldemort laughing,“Well done, my swan. Well done. When the old fool is dead, we will celebrate.”

Odette closed her eyes, and stepped aside whilst the others Death Eaters began to enter the castle. Her only reassurance now was Fred slept, oblivious and he would not be in any danger tonight. He would be furious with her when he awoke.

“Aren’t you coming, little birdie?” Bellatrix mocked Odette who snapped her eyes open and glared at Draco’s aunt.

She pushed past Bellatrix, straight into battle, dodging a red beam of light that Tonks sent her way. Odette swiped her wand through the air, bringing down a member of the Order of the Phoenix and followed Draco as he ran to the astrology tower.

She talked to him, as he wavered between killing Dumbledore, not feeling the stare of another on the back of her head. She whispered encouragements, begging Draco to kill the fool, and uttered a sigh of relief when Snape stepped forward.

Dumbledore glanced at Odette once, his blue eyes causing her to look away from him. “You’re a good girl,” he whispered, “run when you still can Odette.”

Odette stilled, frozen by Dumbledore’s words and watched as the blast of Severus’s killing curse lifted Dumbledore up and over the tower, so he dropped to the ground below. Draco grabbed her hand as they ran, and continued to run, Bellatrix whooping and dancing beside them. She ran past George, who grabbed her arm and swung her away from Draco, crashing her into a portrait. Her vision blurred and blood dripped from her head as George glared at her, “After everything, you’re still going to follow him. Drug Fred, so he can’t watch you commit murder.”

“It’s not like that George,” she whispered and when Fred’s twin hesitated, Odette stunned him so he flew back unconscious, before someone else killed him.

And Odette continued to run, knowing Fred would never forgive her for what she had to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
A really long one to make up for my absence :)
Please comment and tell me what you think, do you think she was right to do that to Fred?
Love you all x