Sequel: Hopeful Liars
Status: Complete

My Wings Are Black

Katie's Curse

Image

Odette wrapped her long, black cloak around her thin body tighter, her hair whipped across her face painfully and she gasped lightly as the strong winds attempted to lift her from where she was struggling to walk.

She grumbled to herself, trying to stand firm as she struggled to take out her wand from her cloak pocket. Finally, her long black and silver wand was present in her hand and she turned in a circle, muttering various enchantments.

She smirked as a bubble of air formed around her frame and the wind died down at once. She replaced her wand, and smoothed down her hair, ignoring the people that were staring at her. By now, she was used to being envied.

“Hey babe!,” a familiar voice called from her right, and a hand sidled around her shoulder. Odette grimaced and softly pushed Blaise Zabini away from her. She eyed him as he grinned in her bubble, without an invitation.

“Hullo Blaise” she murmured, staring at him.

He grinned, oblivious to her hospitality and he began to walk. Odette followed him, glancing now and again at his form. His dark skin stood out quite beautifully against the white snow covering the ground of Hogsmeade.

She sighed quietly, not bothering to push him away from her. They walked in silence, Blaise examining Odette out of the corner of his eye. He could see, of course, the attraction in her. He could understand the obsession Draco had with her. She was stunningly beautiful, but her face was cold. It showed no warmth…a trait he had only seen on Draco. They matched perfectly.

“Draco’s in detention…” he broke the silence.

Odette looked up, snapped out of a day dream involving a red headed boy “Detention…he asked you to tell me?”

Blaise shrugged “He mentioned it…”

Odette frowned “I didn’t need to know…I didn’t have plans with him nor do I intend to”

Blaise rose his eyebrows in surprise and Odette snarled under her breath, her mood now black and taking out her wand, lifted the bubble charm. Blaise gasped at the sudden rush of wind that knocked him off his face and he fell on his bottom, hitting it hard off the icy ground.

Odette’s eyes were full of a malicious evil and she smirked, holding her own against the elements. Her hand passed over a faint mark on her neck that he couldn’t make out and she walked away, her form soon engulfed in the snow, was no longer visible.

Blaise shook his head, and grinned slowly “What a woman”

~

The Three Broomsticks was noisy and full of chattering students. Odette sat alone in a dark corner, stirring the contents of her Gillywater with a cocktail stick.

She was losing her temper more and more easily these days. She was stressed, frustrated and mostly angry. She still had no information to give to the Dark Lord. She needed something, anything! She shuddered, not bearing to think of what he might do to her if she failed him. She was his favourite, prized above any other Death Eater…but that meant her punishment would be the worst.

Her master was good. Yes, he was…he only wanted what was best for them all…and she was chosen to help him with this. She looked across at Harry Potter, his red scar evident on his head. His mark, given to him by the Dark Lord. Odette, again, raised her hand to scratch a long fingernail across the snakes on her neck. To fail, was not an option.

She wondered, how was the Draco boy doing? He had his own task…she knew about him, of course. But he didn’t know about her. She could see it in his mind, when his guard slipped and being a skilled Legilimens. He was scared, and he was unsure. She could see the fear flash in his grey eyes, everytime the Dark Lord was mentioned. Odette frowned, he was in the same boat as her, however…she hoped that neither of them would fail.

Eyes were upon her. She could feel it. She looked up, her bright green eyes burning into Harry’s equally bright irises. She snarled. She would look for another way to discover his secrets, right now, being friendly to the mutilated boy just didn’t seem like an option. Just looking at him sent a fierce wave of fury through her body and her hand flexed, reaching for her wand.

Harry looked away as Hermione tugged on his arm and Odette smirked. Yes, Hermione, he better not duel her, if he wanted to keep his face. She sighed, looking around The Three Broomsticks, bored. She drained her Gillywater, and swept out of the small business, smirking as the students parted for her.

She took a sharp breath as she left the warmth of the pub and stepped out into the frost bitten air. It had stopped snowing, but the wind was still strong. She had no reason to stay anymore, she turned back to the castle path, looking forward to the warm Slytherin Common Room. She didn’t look back as she passed two painfully familiar tall figures. She kept her head down, allowing her black curtain of hair to hide her face and walked past. Fred turned, holding his box of Zonko products on his hip, staring with a horrible longing at the girl. George took his arm and tugged him, shaking his head. Fred gave a shaky sigh and turned away.

Harry Potter stared in horror as he watched Katie Bell rise in the air, her arms outstretched like wings. She screamed a terrible scream, filled with an agony he couldn’t describe. It chilled his heart. He ran with Ron to grab a hold of her, to drag her down to the ground, where lay thrashing and still screaming.

He got up, and started to sprint to the school, looking around desperately for help. He paused in his tracks as he saw a lone figure, not far away watching the scene. Her evil green eyes were lit with a horrible glee, and her mouth was quirked in a painful smile. Harry was frozen, disgusted at how the only thing she had taken a mild interest in since she entered Hogwarts was this, was Katie…being…tortured.

Harry blinked, and she was gone.