Sequel: The Next Best Thing
Status: Finished. Completed. Done.

Last Flight Home

And I Hope You'll Understand

Rachel lay there, her head pounding as she waited patiently for sleep to take over her. She wanted to drift into a world where no-one questioned what went on or bothered her for making a decision. The world of sleep was a wonderful yet silly place.

Rachel sighed, and rolled over again, throwing her head down onto the pillow. This wasn't right, she should be there with him right now. Telling him how she felt and what they should do. She had to be there, making everything better. She rolled onto her back, and looked up at the ceiling. The streetlights from outside, sending in a yellow glow, lighting up her room slightly allowing her to see the shadows of the objects in the room.

"I can't wait anymore," she whispered to herself, and threw back the covers, and swinging her legs out of the bed. She made to the chair at the desk, unfolding her clothes from earlier, and stripping off her pajamas. She dressed quickly, trying not to waken Jack. She grabbed her bag and mobile, and opened the door walking into the hall. She had a quick look around, before bolting for the kitchen, where she rummaged around for a bottle of water to take with her. She would need it to calm her nerves.

"Just can't wait, can you?" Jack asked, walking into the kitchen, turning the light on.

Rachel looked up and smiled at him, his face lightening up when he saw her.

"No, I can't. I think it's a sign; I really need to see him," she mumbled and Jack laughed slightly, scratching his sleepy head.

"Well go get him then, tiger!" he joked and Rachel nodded her head in agreement.

"You bet I will," she laughed and Jack high fived her as she walked out of the apartment and down onto the main street where she hailed down a lucky passing taxi. She gave the address that Jack had given her earlier, and the driver nodded in agreement before driving off into the darkness.

Jack watched as the taxi drove away, grabbing his mobile and quickly texting Rian. "She's heading there now." he typed.

___________________

Rachel looked at the road before her, her heart pounding impatiently as the driver drove slowly along the main road.

"Can you go a little quicker? I really need to see him soon!" Rachel asked impatiently, her voice sounding breathless and anxious. The man laughed, and scratched his beard.

"I'll try my best, but I'm not too fond of speed," he joked and Rachel laughed back at him.

"That'll be a first!" she replied and the driver put his foot down, the houses speeding past rather than crawling.

"Thank you," she muttered and looked at her phone. The time told her it was 2:45am. Would he be awake? Would he even answer the door? All these questions panicked Rachel. What if he knew and left town? He ran away from her, showing that he didn't want to see her again.

She shook her head from these questions and found herself laughing at herself. The driver gave her a quizzical look, but continued to drive nevertheless.

"He has to be there," she whispered and looked out of the window. They were so close, about another minute or so, and she'd be stood outside his apartment. What if Rian answered the door? That's not how she planned it.

"We're here now, miss," the driver said and she smiled, handing him some money and opened the car door. She placed her feet onto the curb, and pulled herself out of the vehicle. She stood and looked at the building before her, before shutting the door of the taxi. She waited patiently for the taxi to go, but before she did. The window of the cab rolled down, and the driver stuck his head out. Rachel turned to him and smiled politely, looking at him slightly confused.

"It's going to be okay," he said quietly and Rachel laughed softly, before nodding her head.

"Thanks," she replied.

The driver nodded his head in return before driving his taxi off into the distance. Rachel stood there for what seemed like an eternity, the rain that had started about five minutes before, came pouring down slightly heavier and drenched her. Going through her clothes and touching her skin, the chill reaching her bones. She shivered anxiously, the wet weather and her nerves getting the better of her.

She made her way into the first part of the apartments, and climbed the stairs. Her wet shoes making squeaky clicking sounds as they met with the stone floor. The water dripped off of her nervous body, her teeth chattered and she felt her stomach churn.

This was it. This was what kept Rachel up at nights.

She reached the destined floor, and stood patiently outside the apartment door. Her lips trembling as she waited eagerly for her body to give her the boost she needed to knock on the door. Do it. She thought. Just do it. She reached forwards, and clenched her fist. She approached the door, and knocked softly, getting harder as she grew more confident.

This is it, she repeated in her mind.

The door opened slowly, it slowed down even more as it reached the person behind it. It teased Rachel, taunted her, telling her this was her moment.

There he stood, so beautifully messy from just awakening. His brown hair in all directions, as his groggy brown eyes were rubbed by those beautifully golden arms. He was disorientated, until he opened his eyes properly and saw who stood before him.

"Rachel?" he asked, almost too disbelieving. Rachel grinned, her wet hair flying as she jumped towards him, wrapping her body round him in a huge hug. He was knocked backwards, and the pair landed on the floor in a tangled mess. Alex reached up, moving the wet hair from his face and wiped it away, allowing their lips to meet. An electrified feeling of love flooded through Rachel's body. She knew this was the right thing to do.

"Will you stay in Baltimore?" Alex breathed, his stomach full of butterflies in case he was rejected once more.

Rachel's lips formed a teasing smile, the corners turning up, revealing her teeth.

"Of course I will," she said, and Alex's grin grew wider, a rush of love overcoming him again. Rachel smiled properly this time, lowering herself to catch his lips again. "This is my home."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is the last chapter. I had to have a happy ending. It was Rachel and Alex, for crying out loud! Aha. I want heaps of feedback! I want heaps of comments and I certainly would love you to quote best parts, or even the worst parts. And tell me why! I would really appreciate it :)

I also need feedback about a sequel. I have a rough idea how it would go, but if you liked the ending, then maybe you don't want a sequel? At the end of the day. It's up to you! You're the readers, and It's what you want ;)

I want to say I loved writing this story. It was brilliant to write and I felt like I really knew Rachel. She was a fantastic character to write about, so easy to describe and I'm pleased with the way she was conveyed to you lot.

I also want to say thanks to my readers! You guys are the best, the story wouldn't have been the same without you lot! So thank you so much.

I also want to do some last advertising on my other stories & competition! So check them out!

- My ATL/FTSK Contest - Get entering if you want to write a one-shot about the Forever The Sickest Kids boys, or the All Time Low boys!

- Jonathan Cook - A newly started story featuring FTSK, mainly J Cook! :)

- Alex Gaskarth - My new story featuring Alex Gaskarth. It's a continuation from a one-shot that Hannah loved!

- Jack Barakat - Story with Jack Barakat. Most of you readers wanted a JackAttack story, so here it is!

Thank you again so much for the comments and feedback! You lot really do mean a lot to me :) Just continue it on one of my other stories, yeah? ;)