Diary of Rose Thorns (Real Version)

High School Dropout

December 20, 1989

We finally dropped out of Washburn Academy, and to top that, it’s my 18th birthday today. Happy Birthday to me! Well, I’m at home right now and thank God my parents are at work. They won’t see what’s coming. Right now I’m wearing an off-the-shoulder
The Clash band tee, a black and white checkered skirt, and a pair of studded boots, with my bangs straightened and the rest of my hair in a pony tail. Well, Charlotte, the others, and I are going to load up our guitars, drums, and other equipment into our band van. Charlotte, for my birthday, gave me a bunch of guitar picks, and this necklace with a Fender on it. Kaz gave me a Led Zeppelin band tee, and Leesie gave me a pair of new Docs. I love them so much. They are like my best friends. I could go nowhere without them. That’s why we did this band and planned our futures together already. Anyway, Kaz, Charlotte, Leesie, and I are going to go to the Pit to get ready for our gig tonight. I’m so nervous. But I guess this is the beginning of the rest of our lives.

December 21, 1989

Wow! The gig was amazing. It was just, just, just indescribable. I’ll tell you what happened, anyway. First, we got there and I bet there were a million people there. Nah, there were about 100 though. I was so nervous I thought I would choke. But I didn’t. Our latest song I wrote called “Chapter1” was a major hit. We were so good we got an encore. Well, after the show a girl asked me for my autograph. I was so appalled at that, though I do say I was very excited. I felt like a rock star making it big. Wow, was it a night. Also, this record company called Warner Brothers records wanted to sign us. Now you see why I’m so happy. Right now, I’m getting dressed to go with my band mates down to the record company to have a meeting about signing us. Jeez, I don’t know what to wear. Oh, I know! I’ll wear a black buttoned down shirt, a black skirt, and red and black converses.

At Warner Brothers records

I got to hurry up and write in you. Well I’m so nervous right now because they want to hear a demo of “Chapter 1” because they say that’s their favorites. Oh no! They’re here! G2G, Bye!

Later that Night

Jeebus! That meeting went quite well than I had thought. The producer, Mark Gemlicke, said he thought that we were awesome and that he would definitely think about signing us. I was so happy and hyper at the same time. I’m in the tour van drinking
some coffee and listening to some Ozzy Osborne. Adrenaline Rush’s next gig is in Baltimore, Maryland. Yeah, I know that is far away from Michigan but that’s just the way life is.

December 25, 1989

I would’ve never thought that this day would ever come. I always though that. But now it’s different. I am at a cheap hotel in Baltimore called Warren’s suite, and I’m living life! Yeah, that’s right. I’m living the life I’ve always wanted! I have an okay suite, an awesome band, and most of all: awesome best friends. Ha! It’s Christmas! Wow I’m still excited! Do you want to know what I got from Charlotte, Kaz, and Leesie? Guess! I got a new Telecaster! But, I’m always going to miss the times I had with my mom where I picked Roses for her and for my dad because I always made him breakfast. Good times, but now that’s all gone. Well, I’m not going to write in you as much because I want to go to the Christmas party on Market Street. See you tomorrow afternoon, I think? Bye.

December 27, 2006

Hey! I told you that maybe I will write tomorrow afternoon I think, but you didn’t listen, did you! Well, I will just like to say that we are going to the record studio to record one our song “Chapter 1.” So I hafta find something to wear.

2 minutes later

Found something! I gonna wear a black tank top and black skinnies. I seriously need to buy some shoes, so I’m just gonna wear my black docs. I seem to be late! I gotta go! See Ya Now!

Later in the evening

Our recording session wasn’t easy at all. It was fun, but it wasn’t easy. I can still remember the things I did then.

Flashback

“Hey Girls, you’re late,” Said Adrenaline Rush’s producer, Mark Gemlicke.
“We’re sorry. It’s- never mind, let’s get some recording done.” I said.
“That’s the spirit,” said Mark, “Here, let me show you your, now new, recording area.”
Continued Mark as we he went down the long corridor to find a door with print that says, “ADRENALINE RUSH RECORDING STUDIO.” He then opened the door. I was amazed! “Whoa!” Exclaimed Charlotte and Leesie as they rushed inside to see a very big room with equipment everywhere. “Look at the inside, it’s so big, we’re only 18, you know, but how can it be that we’ll be for sure making it big at such a young age?! I mean what about when we get older and have families, we’d be leaving them behind, but yet again, we could take them. Oh JEEZ! I gotta let this sink.” Said Kaz as she sat in a chair. “Well, let’s get this started, shall we?” said Mark. “Cool,” I said. That was when we then started our 8- hours process of recording“Chapter 1,”and our other songs on the album.

End Flashback

Boy, were we busy! I’m really tired. I’m going to hangout with my mates in their hotel suites. I’ll write in you later.

December 31, 1989

Wow! Can you believe it? One more day until a new year. 1990. I like the sound of that. It just tickles my tongue when I say that. Well, I’m in the hotel lobby waiting with Leesie, and Kaz. We’re waiting for Charlotte to hurry up and come down because we really need to go down to the club and get ready for our set. Finally! Here comes Charlotte.

20 minutes later

We’re at this club called Club Daze, this really cool club where all the adolescents go to on weekends. The club’s always filled on weekends, and guess what day it is! No, just guess! Saturday! Yep our show is filled! Sold Out! YES! One step closer to being rock stars. I don’t know what songs to do for the set. Maybe I’ll do the songs “Yea!” and “Rose’s Thorn” (I wrote that one alone). As I walk up on the stage to check it out, I test the microphone. I really want to party because of the New Year. It’s so exciting. Anyway, I really need to go back to our suite and get some rest because our show starts at 11:30 p.m. and it ends at 12:15. Yep, we are sure working. All Right, I better tell the guys I’m going to go back because they wanted to go to Hot Topic. See Ya!

10:50 p.m.

Hi again! Well today, the guys and I went to Hot Topic, a really cool punk store. I guess I changed my mind when I said I didn’t wanna go. There’s some in Maryland, and I bought black sunglasses, a spiked bracelet, bondage pants, and a gray and black shirt. Yep! Oh and guess what! I gotta get ready for our show so I gotta go and change.

11:15 p.m.

I’m back and ready for the stage. I really am nervous about this one because we’ve never done a show like as big as the Pit. It really is nerve wrecking. Well, I better go to the lobby and wait for my band mates to come because I just wanna get this gig over with. I guess you could say that I’m nervous than ever. As I think about this whole ordeal, my band mates and our producer are scurrying over to me so I guess that means I need to get ready. I’m still getting used to this whole rush thing. Well, gotta go.

12:30 a.m.

That was the best set ever! And the best part is, it’s 1990! It was so exciting and – I’ve never had such a great time in a very long time. The girls and I got the whole crowd pumped and everything. It seemed like everyone loved us. I dream that we’d be playing arena rock and sign so many autographs that are hands will fall off. Man that’s the life. But then again, I see all the rock stars on T.V. say that there lives aren’t easy because they have families at home that are waiting a long time for them to come from tour, or when they want to just quit the whole business, period. I always wonder if I ever have a family, will my older kids despise me because I’m never home. Will they not like me? Will they HATE me? Oh man this is really killing me inside. I’m going to think harder about my choice of career.