Status: Complete

Poster Boys For Your Scene

Chapter 27

Once on the shore of the lake, Pete lay down Morgan on the grass. He grabbed her wrist and checked for a pulse. Thank god, there is still a beat. But she's still out cold. Then, he placed his ear to her chest. She's not breathing! Pushing down on her chest, he administered CPR. After several chest compressions and about a minute of him breathing for her through mouth-to-mouth, she finally gasped for breath and came to her senses.

The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes, despite the darkness surrounding her, was Pete's dripping face with furrowed, worried eyebrows. Morgan was shivering. The lake was cold enough; the wind wasn't helping her get warm. Once Pete saw that she was awake and cold, he lay down beside her and tried to warm her body with his. They were both freezing, but it was better than nothing. Not knowing what to do, they remained in the same position for about a half hour.

Morgan, under chattering teeth, whispered to Pete, "Are you okay? Wh-wh-what happened?"

"I honestly don't kn-know. One min-nute were in the v-van and th-the next we were in the wat-t-ter. I th-think we were caught in a t-tornado... I f-felt the van lift up or s-something. Are you feeling ok-kay?"

With a slight hesitation, she responded. "I think. But I'm so c-cold still. I'm worried ab-bout everyone else. D-did they get ins-side fast enough?"

"Crap. We need to get up, Morgan, and try to get back. F-find the guys. That little diner p-probably didn't h-hold. Do you th-th-think that you c-can move yet? Or a little b-bit longer?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm n-not hurt, I'm just c-cold. Let's go." They slowly got to their feet and wobbled up the incline that lead to the road. Standing at the road's edge, they looked up and down the stretch of pavement. Off in the distance, they vaguely saw some shapes of what looked like ripped up parts of a building. Please tell me that they are okay, Pete... He grabbed her hand and lead her to the pile of debris.

A single clue lead them to believe that this used to be the diner; there was a sign with a large burger on it right under Morgan's left converse sneaker. Gravely, she looked down and lifted her foot, revealing the sign. Pete saw her wearily bend over to look at the sign further. She instantaneously fell to her knees, weeping on the ground. This used to be the diner! They were in here when...

"Shit we need to find them. Morgan, get up, start looking, okay? We can't help them kneeling down." Pete hated being stern with her, but he was right; crying on the ground wouldn't help their friends. Morgan wandered to a big pile of wood, hoping to find any traces of Patrick, Joe, Andy, or Melissa. Something in Pete's gut told him to look for them near the foundation of where the diner used to be. There was a lot of debris in the way, but it made the most sense that if they were going to be anywhere, it would be here. "Patrick, Joe, Andy, Melissa! Can any of you hear me? Where are you?" Shouting into the night, he could only hear the dwindling winds as a response. Everything was silent. Nothing moved. Nothing made a sound. When calling for them didn't work, Pete started to lift the pieces of rubble that could be managed to move.

After about a half hour of calling their names and removing debris, he was starting to lose hope. If they were alive, they would have heard me by now... But he didn't stop looking. If he wasn't going to find them alive, he at least wanted to find them.

One big board was in Pete's way to exploring the rest of the site. He decided to move it because it didn't seem like a tough job. All of a sudden, he heard screams from under the board. "Help! We're in here! We're in here!"

It was a voice that Pete didn't recognize. When he started to move the board, he realized that it was to heavy to lift. Morgan came rushing over to assist him when she heard the voices. "Are they down there? Who was that yelling?"

"I don't know. Here, you take that side. I got this one." Straining and pulling, they finally got the huge piece of debris loose. Then they threw it on top of anther rubble pile. Morgan looked down and saw a staircase that looked like it lead to a room, but it was too dark to tell. A man dressed in a stripped apron stumbled out. It was the waiter.

"There are four other people down there. One of them doesn't look so good, but I'm pretty sure they're all okay."

"What does the one who doesn't look so good look like?"

"Well he has sidebur-"

"PATRICK! Shit! Buddy, don't worry! I'm coming for you!" Pete dove down into the dark room. Once down there, he squinted and tried to find Patrick and the rest of the guys. Suddenly, he heard Andy's voice.

"Pete! We're over here! Be careful, there's a big piece of wood in the way."

"I'm coming! Is everyone okay?"

Joe answered back. "Yeah, I think we're alright. I'm not so sure about Patrick. He's not injured, but he just looks out of it. I don't know what's wrong."

"What about Melissa?"

"I'm fine. Just help me get out of here!" He followed the sounds of their voices. Finally, he found them all huddled in the corner of the room.

"The way out is this way. I think we should get Melissa and Patrick out first. Andy, can you handle Melissa? Patrick's a little bit bigger, so I think me and Joe need to help him out."

"No problem. It doesn't look that hard to get out now that we can see a little." Andy quickly grabbed Melissa so that Pete and Joe could help Patrick, who was lying on the ground shaking.

"Patrick? It's Pete. We need you to get up so we can get you out of here, okay? Are you hurt?"

Patrick was still unresponsive. He just lay there on the ground.

"I think he's in shock. The tornado must have really scared him because I don't think he got hit with anything. I'll get his left side. Pete, you get his right." They carefully helped Patrick to his feet. He still looked off in a daze, shaking and mumbling. Weaving in and out of pieces of rubble, they finally made their way to the stairs. At this point, all they had to do was climb the stairs and make their way out. Once he felt the cool breeze, Patrick started to come to his senses a little bit.

"Hold on, bud. We're almost there." Climbing out of the room, they found a solid place where they could sit up Patrick.

"I-i-issss it o-over?" Patrick's voice was trembling. Pete started to tear up and hugged his best friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right now I'm working on some Peterick for a contest. =] Can't wait till it's done. But that probs won't be for a couple days because I'm going to the beach tomorrow and then my dad's house. But still, I'm excited about it.
I got some more subscribers! Yaaay!
Comment pwease! =]