Poker Face

Ten

Monday morning rolled by and my mother dutifully dropped me off at school, giving me a lecture about how I should refrain from any actions that would earn me another suspension. Yeah that’s pretty much in her words…

As I walked through the main hallway, I repositioned my book bag and flipped my hair as I walked by the boys. All eyes were on me as I continued to walk away from them; but I didn’t turn to look I just continued on my way until I came to stop in front of Carrie and her mates – who didn’t quiet fancy me I might add.

“‘Ello,” I grinned at Carrie.

“‘Ello, Dani… wot cha doin’ ova ‘ere?” She questioned giving me a confused look.

“Yea, wot ‘appened, did Curtis finally drop yea once ‘e found out yer shaggin’ Oli?” The same girl, who had tried to get me to talk Carrie out of dating him those weeks before, questioned icily.

“Awe now darlin’ if yer figured Oli was shaggin’ me, then wot on Earth would ‘e be doin’ with tha’ ginger bitch? An’ if yer fancy bein’ the one with the accurate gossip ‘bout Curtis an’ I, I dropped ‘im,” I smiled warmly at her.

“Wot why?” Carrie asked concern evident in her expression.

“Cause she’s a whore Carrie,” Her friend called out.

“Shut up Irene, yea know nothin’,” Carrie hissed before taking my hand and dragging me away from her group. “Spill,” She demanded.

“Curtis was jus’ really clingy, an’ it was a ‘uge turn of is all. ‘E was actin’ like I wos tha one an’ I’m not sure ‘e is tha one for meh,” I shrugged.

“That explains why ‘e was a down right mess suddenly las’ week, everyone presumed it was jus’ ‘im missin yea,” She sighed, “I guess in a way we were right.”

I nodded and glanced behind me to see the boys, Curtis sulking wearing a giant black jacket; the hood thrown up over his head. With a sigh I shook my head and turn my attention to the others, Oliver was making out – or up both were possible – with his ginger bird, while Vegan and Lee were talking to Matt, occasionally trying to get Curtis to take part in the conversation. I glanced back at Matt to see him shooting me a slight smile; which was quickly returned before I turned and faced Carrie.

“Wot yea smilin’ ‘bout?” She questioned.

“Nuthin’,” I argued shaking my head.

“An’ I’m betrothed ta Prince William,” She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms under her chest.

“To be ‘onest, Prince ‘arry Pot ‘ead is more ma type,” I shrugged smirking at her as she grew frustrated with me.

“Yer not gunna tell meh are yea?” She asked dryly.

“I’ll need a place to sit fer lunch, yea wanna get a table, jus’ yer and I?” I asked. She sighed and nodded her head, “Awesome,” I beamed. She laughed and rolled her eyes just as the bell rang signalling the start of the day.

By lunch it was clear that Irene had taken what I said as an open invitation to spread around word about the end of my relationship with Curtis. And unfortunately she also added in her own twists whenever she retold it; for three girls had been brave enough to come to my face and tell me I was a) a bitch for leaving Curtis b) that Oliver would never go out with his best mates ex and c) wondering how long I’d been fucking every guy in the group before Curtis found out. I just grinned and bared it, telling them as politely as possible that they should consider watching their backs; that worked perfectly.

Carrie smiled as I sat down opposite of her in the cafeteria, “’ow’d yer mates take yer not sittin’ with them?” I questioned as I pulled out my lunch box.

“Not well at all, I wouldn’t be surprised if the next addition is tha’ we’re datin’ now,” Carrie scoffed eyeing the table where her friends were seated. Glancing over my shoulder I too located where they were seated, and sure enough they were gossiping as they glared over at our table. They froze when they noticed us looking at them, and cheekily I grinned at them before waving and blowing them a kiss. I turned back around and burst out laughing, Carrie joining me for a moment before her smile fell off.

I caught my breath and went to ask her what was the matter when an arm slung around my shoulder as two bodies sat down on either side of me, “Love, yer not avoidin’ meh are yea?” Oliver asked as he leaned in close.

“Oh Oliver, wot could eva’ give yer tha’ idea?” I cooed turning to face him, and blinking my eyes at him repeatedly.

“Yer sittin’ all the way ova ‘ere love,” He stated, jutting out his bottom lip.

“Well could yea ‘onestly expect meh ta sit there at tha same table as Curtis?” I questioned him.

“Er…”

“I figured as much as well,” I smirked, “Wot are yea doin’ ‘ere anyways? Won’t yer lil’bird get ‘er feathers ruffled?”

“Oi, I’m my own person, she can’t tell meh wot ta do,” He stated proudly puffing up his chest.

I glanced behind me to see the glaring girl we were talking about approaching us, “Yea ‘ave fun tellin’ ‘er tha’,” I mumbled turning back to Carrie and mouthing an apology to her.

“Oliver Scot Sykes, wot tha ‘ell do yer think yer doin’ wit’ this ‘ore?” She hollered once she approached our table.

“Sod off, I’m allowed ta sit with ma mates,” He stated turning to see her. I glanced sideways to see Matt who was trying not to laugh.

“Wit’ all tha’ bloodeh rumours goin’ on ‘bout yer two yer betta not sit beside this ‘ore, or Curtis an’ I will ‘ave ta reckon they’re all bloodeh true,” She seethed.

Oliver glanced around the whole cafeteria watching everyone as they secretly watched us, “Oh…”

“Come on mate, are yer really gunna listen ta ‘er?” Matt questioned, “I mean since when ‘ave yer cared wot people thought ‘bout yea, so long as word was yer still a good shag,” Matt chuckled slightly.

Oliver pressed his lips together for a moment, “That was before mate that was before” He muttered clapping Matt on his shoulder as he stood up. I stared in awe as Oliver walked away, his arm wrapping around her tiny waist.

“I can’t believe it…” Matt murmured, “He’s whipped… Oliver fuckin’ Sykes is bloody whipped.”

I nodded my head sullenly before turning back to my lunch, “Aren’t yea goin’ to run off now that yea leader is gone?” Carrie asked Matt dryly.

“Nah love, I’m good where I am,” Matt grinned, as I felt his hand fall onto my thigh and giving it a good squeeze. With that Carrie merely shrugged her shoulders and dug into her own lunch, Matt sharing mine as he ‘couldn’t be arsed to get up and buy something’.

The rest of the school day progressed similar to the morning, only Carrie was right; people were talking about the possibility that we were gay together. They were also talking about what had happened with Oliver and his girlfriend everyone complimenting her on a job well done; having been the first girl to ever keep him in line. Surprisingly no one was saying anything about Matt and I even though he had been at our table, there wasn’t a single word about him at all.

In creative writing Oliver shifted himself so that he wasn’t facing me at all, and didn’t speak to me once throughout the whole period. I furrowed my brow at his strange behaviour; it wasn’t like she had eyes in the classroom. But then I guess with the speed word travels around this building, maybe she did.

After school Carrie offered to walk me home, and smiling I accepted and we walked in the cool autumn afternoon, chatting happily about things completely unrelated to school. She even mentioned how she figured she might be throwing a Halloween party, as her parent’s will be out of town that weekend.

“That’ll be brill, love,” I grinned.

“Yea’ll need a date o’course,” She winked.

“Tha’s not a problem love,” I laughed shaking my hair out of my face.

“Even afta this scandal?” She smirked lightly.

“Even with this scandal goin’ down,” I assured her.

“Yea sure are confident Danielle,” She laughed.

“Yeah… I know,” I shrugged before we both laughed all the way home. And suddenly I realized that at the moment my world was the opposite of everyone else’s. It was with the boys that I was having drama, and care free fun was with a girl. It kind of made me miss June though…
♠ ♠ ♠
So what'd cha think?
leave comments I love feedback...