Poker Face

Sixteen

That night when we got back everyone was passed out sprawled across the floor, it was a wonder everyone had even gotten back to June’s flat. I spotted Matt in the place we had laid out our sleeping bags, alone, clutching my pillow; I let Oli pull me towards the sofa where his sleeping bag was spread out like a blanket, and fell asleep curled up in his embrace.

I awoke to raised voices, and noticed that Oli wasn’t by my side. My eyes fluttered open and I saw the girls staring at me, June biting her lip and playing with the sleeve of her jumper. She tried to give me a small smile but failed, I sat up and opened my mouth to ask her what was going on when I was cut off by a voice.

“Yea left ‘er las’ night mate, it’s yer loss. Dun take it out on meh!” Oli’s voice was coming from the kitchen, and by the sounds of it he could only be talking to one person. I stood up and started towards the room, ignoring June’s attempts to keep me away. Upon turning the corner I saw Vegan and Tom standing behind Matt and Oli, ready in case it got out of hand. Lee was facing the doorway and was the only one to notice mine and June’s entrance.

“Now mates, I dun think either of yea got tha righ’ ta argue over Dan like this. If anythin’ I feel like I’m tha one ‘ho should be angreh ‘ere,” Curtis said stepping in between them.

They both turned on him, telling him off because he has June now as she quickly retreated to the living room. I went to go after her but I saw Kelsie stand up from the arm chair and pull her into a big hug. I turned back to the scene in the kitchen and cleared my throat. That got Vegan and Tom’s attention, Tom’s eyes widening for a moment before they both darted their attention back to the boys who seemed to be getting more heated. With a frustrated sigh I matched towards the three and pushed them apart, all three staring at me with wide frightened eyes.

“’Onestleh, yer gunna start tha new year fightin’ over a girl? Yer supposed ta be best mates, isn’t there that sayin’ bros before ‘oes or summat like tha’?” I snapped. Oli and Matt hung their heads in shame, Curtis opened his mouth to make retort back, but I stopped him, “You are supposed ta be ova meh, and ‘appeh wit June. Who is now in the livin’ room cryin’ ova yer sorry arse. I don’t want ta ‘ear ‘bout ‘ow I wronged yea, yea jus’ wronged me best mate and I ‘old grudges. Plus I’d neva take yea back,” I shot him a dark look before turning my sights on Matt.

“Olleh’s righ’ yea made yer choice las’ night and I meant it when I said we’re done. We can be friends, but I’m not goin’ back to bein’ yer bird. It’s not fair ta me, I might not be normal in my ethics but I do prefer to be a one bloke kind of girl and I expect the same respect.” I lectured him.

He nodded his head in understanding while biting his lip, “I didn’ mean to though…”

“But it’s happened and that’s that,” I sighed. I turned to Oli and Matt squeezed out of the room, I just stared at Oli unsure of what to say to him. Suddenly the room was quiet and it was much louder out in the living room than it had been, I bit my lip at stared up into his hazel eyes.

“I don’t know what to say to you,” I confessed after a moment.

“Yer dun ‘ave ta say anythin’, really,” He shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s jus’ weird tha’ ye’d even be fightin’ ova meh,”

“I wasn’t gunna, but ‘e got rather upset after seein’ us together when ‘e woke up,” Oli mumbled, “I jus’ didn’t think it fair tha’ ‘e thought ‘e ‘ad say over what yea do now,”

“Well thank you, but even I’m not sure what I’m gunna do now. I didn’ even know until a week ago that yea fancied meh. ‘ell I didn’ even know yea could fancy someone,” I tried to joke and he half smiled at my attempt to relieve some of the attention.

“Yea dun ‘ave ta be wit meh if yea dun want,” He sighed after another pause.

“It’s not tha’, I’m jus’ caught off guard. I neva really thought ‘bout there bein’ a you and meh, is all,” I said as I lightly grabbed a hold of his hand.

“Would yea like ta go on a date with meh?” Oli asked slowly, hope filling his eyes.

“I’ll go out wit yea Olleh, but tha’ dun mean I’m yer girl,” I added quickly.

“Course not,” He held back his smile to the best of his abilities. “We should keep it low key too, ay?” He murmured glancing in the direction of the living room.

“Jus’ in case yes,” I nodded, “I don’t want to muck up anymore friendships,” I confessed.

“I dun think yea got ta worry ‘bout tha’ love,” He smirked, “Mattie is a good lad, but I’ve known ‘im a lot longer than you ‘ave. ‘E’s like a child who thinks if ‘e puts down ‘is toy it’ll still be where ‘e left it,”

“I reckon a lot o’ yea blokes can be like tha,” I smirked, “But wha’s tha’ ta do wit me an’ ruinin’ friendships?”

“Jus, I meant tha’ yea wont; not like this is yer fault anyways, but I mean, ‘e’s gunna realise jus’ ‘ow big of a twat ‘e’s been an’ will get over it. ‘E usually does,” Oli shrugged.

“You lot ‘ave ‘ad arguments like this before?”

“No, uh, we’ve never. B-but dun mean tha’ is your fault neither. I just know ‘im is all,” He stuttered.

“Relax love, jus’ messin’ wit yer head,” I laughed, giving his hand a tight squeeze.

“Yer ‘orrible,” He breathed.

“Yeah, but yea like it,” I smirked, before turning and walking back into the living room where all but June and Curtis were packing up sleeping bags.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this story was started 3 years ago, I know this because it's the Sweet Sixteen present for my friend who just turned 19. Granted it didn't get ONLINE until some time after her birthday it still is her present. So happy birthday Danielle, let's see how old you are when its finally finish!