Poker Face

Eight

I sighed loudly as I rested down on Matt’s sofa as I watched him play his video game. It was day two of our week long suspension we got for drinking at school, and though our parents were none too pleased with us, we had been allowed to hang out with each other for the full week. Of course there was a price to pay, we had already cleaned my whole house from top to bottom yesterday, and tomorrow we’d be cleaning his house. Today we were relaxing ‘We ‘ave ta pace ourselves yea know,’ He had told his mum when she questioned us.

“Yea know, I think I could enjoy bein’ suspended… if it weren’t for all the bloody chores they shove our way,” I stated confidently, his mum had left for work hours ago.

Matt chuckled as he paused his game and turned to look at me, “Wot yea’ve never been before?”

“Nah, my mates and I were too good at acting, I’ve been grounded and ‘ad detentions mind yea; jus’ we knew ‘ow to get out of anythin’ more than that,” I explained remembering how June and I managed to get out of a lot of trouble.

Smirking Matt rose onto his knees and leaned over me, “An’ yet ‘ere yea are suspended,” He mused.

“Ah but see, it takes two to tango, at least June was a drama student and me with ma way with words, we could ‘ave pulled it off. Yea’d just pull me down,” I smirked, “Besides I don’t mind or did yea miss that part?” I laughed.

“Oi did yea just insult me?” He questioned climbing on top of me.

I laughed and watched as he straddled me and took a hold of my wrists. “Yes but I also commented yea, yea dolt. I wouldn’t enjoy this any if I weren’t with my best mate,” I smiled up at him.

His face fell somewhat as he groaned lightly, “Yea had ta say that word didn’t yea? I have yea spread out on ma couch under me an’ yea call me yer best mate.”

I’m sure he was mostly talking rhetorically but still I reached up with my now free hands and cupped his face. “And wot’s so wrong with that, best mates can do as lover do; maybe even better too. For mates care for each other in a way that lovers tend to complicate,” I whispered softly my fingers kissing the flesh of his cheeks.

“Wot are yea gettin’ at?” He mumbled, placing his hands over top of mine.

“That friends make better lovers is the gist of it,” I sighed.

“Sounded better when yea were being all fancy,” He chuckled lightly. Gently I pulled his face towards my own, our lips brushing slightly. “Wot ‘bout Curt?” He mumbled hesitantly.

“Let me deal with ‘im,” I ordered before crashing our lips together in a passionate motion.

When I woke several hours later I found myself curled up next to Matt, his arms wrapped around me as he kept me close. It was when I caught myself smiling that I started to panic. This felt so natural and I was so content; but here I was with my best friend not my boyfriend. I wouldn’t allow Curtis to cuddle with me after sex but I had fallen asleep with Matt. I bit my lip nervous that I may be in like rather than lust for once, and I didn’t know what to make of it.

I was so out of it I didn’t notice that Matt had woken up as well until I heard him chuckle and kiss my forehead. I gasped in shock at the contact and my eyes darted up to connect with Matt’s, to see him smiling at me.

“Ello love,” He whispered a slight chuckle to his voice.

“Hi,” I whispered softly, my voice not sounding as joyful as his.

“Dani, are yea alrigh’?” He questioned as he stroked my cheek. He must have picked up on my tone of voice. I sighed before nodding, my eyes closing while I did so. “Yea not feelin’ bad ‘bout wot we did are yea? I won’t tell anyone if that’s the case,” He mumbled, his voice sounding remorseful but his hand still caressed my face. “I wouldn’ want Curtis hatin’ yea ova nothin’,” He muttered lastly, with such disdain my eyes snapped open to behold his face.

“It’s not that, it aint nothin’ ta do wit Curtis… though now that yea mentioned it, I gotta cut ‘im free,” I mumbled, now feeling only a little bit bad. I hated break ups… they’re so messy.

“Then wot’s wrong love?” Matt whispered as he encircled my waist and pulled me closer. I think he was happy to find Curtis wasn’t on my mind.

“I don’t know,” I frowned biting my lip once more.

“Well yer gotta know, its yer lil’head, not someone else’s,” He chuckled softly.

“Well I don’t know I’m not familiar with wot’s goin’ on, alright?” I snapped, irritated for no reason at all.

“I’m sorry, come on, I should be getting’ yea ‘ome I reckon,” He said quickly getting out of the bed. I sat up and watched as he pulled on a pair of boxers and jeans. He noticed and grinned cheekily, “Are yea watchin’ meh?” I felt my cheeks begin to burn and cursed under my breath.

Laughing Matt tackled me back down onto the bed, “Yea were! Yea was checkin’ meh out while I changed!” His eyes widened for a moment before he smiled a soft smile I had had never seen on his face. “Don’t worry Dan, I like yea too,” He winked playfully before pressing the softest of kisses I’d ever felt upon my lips.

And suddenly, this liking someone business…. It didn’t scare me that much anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
WHAT A TWIST!!
sorry couldn't resist....
so um leave a comment and i'll update again next week =)

and for any who are shocked by this twist... it's because honestly halfway through writing this i found out the truth about curtis leaving and i didn't like him any... and then i went to my first BMTH concert and Nicholls was just one BAMF! sooo