The Outsiders

Getting Ready for the Prom

There was a full moon in the sky. I was standing on the ground, looking up at a figure up in a tree. The person was sitting on the topmost branch, silhouetted by the full moon. Who was that? Wait…I recognize him!

“Hi, Gabriella!” I heard a piping voice slowly bring be back to reality.

Jay was staring at me with her usual bright green gaze, emphasized by the by the black lines under her eyes. She always looked half-asleep, but perfectly awake at the same time….wierd.

I realized that I was still on the roof, but Zane had gone.

Zane…Zane…Zane!!!

“Zane was here!” I blurted.

“Here?” Jay asked surprised.

“Yeah! And the jerk reminded me that we have the Dawn today!! Just what I needed!! More work!!!”

Three hours later, a flood of students was washing into our school, along with two anxious goth girls. For the first time that month, I actually saw the posters covering the walls. And I mean covering.

“Are you going to prom tonight?” Jay asked. “I mean half the population of Them are going to this school…and most of them are going to prom.”

“What? I wouldn’t be caught dead at one of those prep functions…besides, I don’t have a date.”

“Tavia’s going with Jesse, I’m just helping with the background details. And possibly raiding the music selection…we really need something much more favorable than those goopy girly-girl songs.”

“I still don’t have a date.” I said, confident that that excuse would protect me.

“I know a guy who’s been dying to get to know you better.” Jay replied happily.

She grabbed my hand, and dragged me to our first-period class. So far the only ones in the room were Tam(prep), Kevin Zurolg (geek/nerd), Maria (awesomely nice athlete), and Zane.

When we entered the room, Tam and Kevin just glared over at us, Maria waved, and Zane just sat in the back with his face in shadows and his iPod plugged in.

Walking over to our usual desks, I sat down and stared at the desk, on which I had carved, ‘Gabriella was here’. I got my books and papers out, and as I was doing so, I didn’t notice it, but Zane opened one blue eye and intently watched me get ready for class. I was listening to Sneaking Nightmare in my head, because, like always, I forgot my MP3 at home.

“So, like I was saying,” Jay began, “The guy who really wants to go to prom with you is-”

Suddenly, Mr. Martinez walked in, and cut Jay off.

The secret would have to wait for another hour.

I was dying to know who would like me so much as to want to ask me to prom. I mean, no-one liked me. As far as I knew. For all I knew, the whole thing could just be an elaborate hoax. Oh well. I would just have to wait a small hour for the relevancy.

At the end of the period, jay came up to me.

“the one who wants to ask you to the prom is-” she was cut off again.

“Hi, Gabriella.” I heard someone say.

“Hi, Zane. Whatcha need?” I asked without turning around.

“Um…”

“What is it?”

“…”

“Spit it out already!” I turned around.

“Um…will you…”

“Will I what?”

“…”

By now, I was getting pretty exasperated.

“What?”

“Willyougotothepromwithme?”

“Slow down.”

“Will…you…go…to…the…prom...with…me…?”

(me: >< ’ took long enough.)

“Okay. But I’ve never been to any of my school’s dances… and I’ll probably look horrible…”

“I’m sure you won’t.” came the unexpected reply.

The rest of the day seemed to fly by, and before you knew it, Jay had dragged you to your mother’s dress shop.

“? Gabriella? What are you doing here?”

“She got asked to prom tonight.” Jay said quickly.

“Ohh! This is so fabulous!” my mom squealed, “I have the perfect dress for you!”

Much like Jay, mom dragged me by hand through the store, and stopped at a mannequin. It was dressed in a neon pink dress, with bright yellow seams, and lime green platform pumps. I gave mom my >< ’ look.

“I’m just kidding, dear!” she laughed. She turned a couple more corners, and stopped in front of another mannequin. This one was dressed in a black dress with…well, just look at this pic. (XD I’m not good with descriptions)
It was black and red, with close-fitting sleeves on the upper arm, which opened into wide sleeves on the forearm. It also had black ribbons crisscrossing down the front to the waist, and the middle was red.
“Yeah. I like this one.” I said.

“Aren’t you happy I dragged you here now?” Jay asked.

I just grinned and made my, ‘thanks!’ look appear on my face.

Later that night, Jay had me dressed up, and forced me to take the earrings out of my multiple piercings. That sucked. (T.T)

“Ohh!” Jay said, “You look beautiful!”

“Shut up!” I said, turning a slight pink color.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it sounds childish...