The Outsiders

Them

I just glared at Zane, hoping he was kidding.

"You're a sanguine." he repeated, "And yet you persecute Us for what we are."

"Is it honestly my fault?"

"You're the only one out of the whole Outsiders. The only one."

"Yeah. because we all hate what you are. I'm not exactly there."

"But being your kind is...not allowed."

"I know." My body was beginning to tense up, filling with adrenaline, ready to wrench my wrist away.

Well? What are you waiting for?

I blinked. I didn't know if I heard it talk. Or whatever 'it' was. But I was sure I heard something.
It was obvious I wasn't schizophrenic (I think). But I was hearing a voice. I felt my wrist begin to splinter, but I ignored it; the pain-numbing sensation had already begun to spread. I wasn't the only one who was tensing up. Zane had suddenly become rigid, staring off into space.

Kill her! the voice urged, impatient-sounding.

"Tch...." Zane's eyes turned a fiery red.

Kill her now! Or do you not understand who she is?!

"I do." he said through gritted teeth, but what if I don't want to?"

Want to? What a concept. the voice said contemptuously, When it comes down to it, there is only 'life' and 'death'. I'm choosing death.

"You choose death. I don't."

I've seen some pretty nasty fights before. Nasty, as in, ripped out organs all over the ground. This wasn't one of those. Pressure point on the back of the knees. Its different on a lot of people, but if you can manage to hit a person hard enough with it, they'll fall over and won't be able to get up for about five seconds. That was all the opening I needed.

The rest of the fight was pretty subtle. Well, if you consider 'subtle' being kicked in the stomach several times, gagging up blood, and snapping a few bones. Frankly, I'm sure I won't be needing my right hand, anyway. It pays to be ambidextrous.

Being weak is not acceptable. the voice snapped again.

"And that's your definition of weak?" Zane snapped back.

Getting beat up by a girl is.

"Okay, that's it!!" I blocked a punch, and flipped him over my back onto the ground, "Whereever you are, shut the bleep up and stop being so sexist!!"

Stop.

Zane suddenly froze in mid-stand up.

The girl can obviously hear me. I thought you said the connection was secure.

"I thought it was. Gabriela is obviously--" he said the word sarcastically, "More sensitive than we thought."

"Like heck I'd fall for some cheap trick like that. My ears can intercept just about any frequency of sound or radio wave, and my brain translates it into language."

We an safely say that you can kill her now.

"Usually, I would, but this is under different circumstances." Zane ground out.

Different circumstances? the voice echoed, You should have killed her by now.

"I don't care anymore."

I thought I knew what was going on by now. Zane was what we call a Black Blood. Explanations later. Basically, he was born the way he was, but was being controlled by someone via mental bond.

Kill her. This time, that's an order. the voice said flatly.

The next second, Zane had his hand around my neck, pushing me up against a wall, strangling me.

"You retard! Don't let yourself be controlled!!" I snapped, writhing.

"Oh, yeah? Try putting yourself in my position. Think it would be so easy?" came Zane's half-strangle-sounding response.

"I don't know!" I almost howled, still trying to get away. Did I forget to mention that while at our school, he'd broken three of the records in PE? The ones set by the Outsiders, who all have pretty impressive physical health. Which would mean that he broke Jess's 106 push ups, Tavia's 236 on the pacer, and my five minutes on the two-mile run (I think Jay's double cross-country of four minutes is gonna stand forever).
So it'd be hard not getting beat up a bit.

"I'm not trying to!!"

"I know! So that should mean that you're able to let the bleeping heck go!!"

"I take it you haven't eaten lately?"

To anyone else, this question would seem completely random. In this instance, it was different.

"No. No I haven't."

"That probably just cut your chances of getting away."

"Bleep shut up with the small talk and bleepiing kill me already!"

Don't try to think of escaping. It'll only screw up your physical condition even more.

At this point, I was almost out of air from yelling, and Zane's fingers still tightening around my neck. it felt the bruise form, my throat aching harshly.

The first thing I noticed was how the color drained from his face. Then the fingers loosened, dropping me to the ground, trying to fill my empty lungs. Zane staggered a bit, and fell on his ass, looking sick.

"Tch--!" he muttered, squeezing his eyes shut.

This is why he's called the Delicate Wolf.

"The Delicate Wolf? What's that supposed to mean?"

Tuberculosis. He contracted Tuberculosis. The Delicate Wolf...the weakest of the vampires.