The Outsiders

Goodbye, Wolf

“What’s that supposed to mean?” the girl hissed.

“I really don’t like being controlled like that.” Zane growled, slowly standing.

Among other things in a fight, the first is to not show any weakness. At all. Especially after you’ve just gotten over a Tuberculoisis-induced spasm. Even for one of Them (plus the whole TUBERCULIOSIS thing), Zane had pretty good stamina.

“So? Its kind of my job to get rid of little miss prissy Outsider leader here.” The girl said, “And you’re the one who’s supposed to do it. I don’t like getting messy with the whole killing part.”

So this girl really wasn’t strong. All she was was the master of a servant. This would be easy.

I jumped at the girl in the alley, shoving me elbow into her stomach. I heard a nasty craking sound as one or two of her ribs broke. Music to my ears. She wheezed, and I saw a fist heading for my face. Zane did a follow-up, grabbing her arm and twisting it behind her back.

My pupils enlarged, quickly adjusting to the sparse light. Curly blue hair, matching aqua eyes, over-mascaraed eyelashes, and tight shirt and tiny miniskirt combined with Uggs. Jeeze. This anorexic-looking girl was a serious wreck.

“What? How’d you--?” the girl began before she was sent into a coughing frenzy.

“A friend.” Zane replied icily.

“Just because you—” she coughed again, “That seal---your mark…he’ll never let you get away so easily!”

I felt a sudden surge of energy from the girl, then she wrenched herself out of Zane’s death grip and vanished into the dark.

“Who was that.” I turned to Zane, my glare still angry, posing the question as a statement.

“Rann. She’s the servant of one of the Noble families. And the one who used that Seal on me. You can count on her to report back right away. I don’t know if this town is safe anymore.” Zane said.

“Yeah. All the more reason for me to stay here. I’ll leave this town once I’m dead.” Planting my feet in that stubborn way I had.

“No, I mean we should stick around to keep the place safe.”

“And why would you care? You’re not really an Outsider. You’re everything we’re against.” My voice had frozen over, negatiive 1,000,000,000 degrees.

“And here I was thinking you had gotten over it.” Zane shook his head.

“As if I could forget soemthing like that! Your boss killed Shiro! Shiro! Like I’d ever let you back.” I spat.

There was an ellipse.

Zane.

I don’t know exactly how, but for some reason, seemed to understand me the most. It was so irritating; one of Them…

However, it was also easy to tell that he knew exactly what was in store for him if he stayed. And with my stubbornness…well…you know.

“Fine, then.” Zane turned to leave. My pupils retracted as the bright light of the street lamp, Zane appearing as a black shadow.

I blinked.

When I looked again, he had disappeared.

I trudged back to my house, and made a strawberry smoothie. I don’t know why, but the smoothie-ness always made me feel better. If that makes any sense.

I quickly gulped it down, feeling my throat burning from the frozen-ness, and went to my room, jumping on my bed and just lying there. Once I had been lying there for a moment, I flipped onto my back and stared at the ceiling. Mom worked till about eleven everyday, so she wouldn’t be back for about another half hour. I felt something cold against the side of my neck, and reached over to touch it. It was a little silver chain, attached to…oh, so classic. I guess we were going along with the classic, ‘girl meets one of Them, They try to kill her, They both start to like each other.

Damn.