Bloodshed.

004.

I was now pacing back in forth in my ‘living room’, if you could even call it that. This whole apartment was basically one room divided into different parts. I kept glancing over to the typewriter, then the phone, then back to the floor. Was that my body’s way of rejecting sleep? Had I finally gone too far with the deprivation of sleep? It seemed unreal, but what else was I supposed to think? Was I now supposed to suffer the pains of going to sleep? I grabbed at my hair in frustration and began running my fingers through it, pulling; a habit I’d begun a while back when I couldn’t seem to write anything good.

I gave an irritated lament when I noticed my legs seemed to be pulling me in the direction of my writing chair. I absentmindedly sat back down after my few minutes of pacing and stuffed a few more Skittles in my mouth. Perhaps it was the lack of real food going into my body. But perhaps I was just blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Yeah, that had to be it… Too much story writing. I was driving myself insane. It was the only logical explanation.

Pulling the paper gently from its slot in the typewriter, I replaced it with a fresh, white one. I was still having writer’s block, unsure on how to proceed. Ideas bounced around my mind, but I couldn’t bring myself to type anymore. I spun around in my chair, to which I chuckled at quietly.

Half a package of Skittles later, I heard a sharp knock at my door. I sprung up from my seat and raced to the door. I was accustomed to doing everything fast and efficiently, as you can see.

After swinging the door open to reveal my very best friend Taegan, I was pulled into a tight hug. Something I hadn’t felt in a while; closeness to another human being. I was quite enjoying the ‘reunion’ until Taegan let go. “Dude, you reek.” he stated. I blinked at the comment as he let himself inside. I closed the door, and while his back was turned, I took a small sniff of myself. Ew.

“It’s the clothes, I swear. I haven’t gotten around to the laundry..” I said as I followed him in the aforementioned living room. I mentally debated whether I should tell him about my incident, or ask him about my sanity in general, but I decided against it.

He moseyed his way over to the table, and picked up the bag of Skittles. “Really?” he asked, and I just shrugged my shoulders. “I’m not giving you money to buy candy, Fox.” I felt a small pang of guilt inside me.

“I buy food. I just.. Don’t have time to make it.” I tried, but he gave me that look that told me he knew that was a lie.

“Well, at least I know you’re still alive. How’s the story coming?” he asked, plopping himself down on my sorry-excuse-for-a-couch.

“Great.” I said, trying to smile while I continued to stand there. “Sorry about not responding, I just-”

“It’s cool. I realize you’re a writer now. Just give me a text here and there so I know you’re still breathing.” he told me with a smile. That’s what I loved about Taegan. He was always there, caring. It’s cliché to say this, but he was the older brother I wish I had had growing up. We’d met in my early years of high school, and we’ve been cool ever since. I tried my best not to slip away from the one friend I had.

“How’s things at the office?” That was my attempt at small talk.

“Well, you know. Same ol’, same ol’. Although there is a new employee. Me and the boys are thinking about giving him a proper welcome on Friday.” he laughed. By welcome he meant prank. Taegan and his childish ways. I smiled. I continued to stand there, just looking at him. I wasn’t much of a talker, plus I could be classified as ‘antisocial’, even with my friend.

“Felix?” Taegan said suddenly, using my real name.

“Mm?” I said tautly.

“Promise me you’ll eat? And maybe do some laundry? I mean, I love coming to see you, but.. At least Febreeze the place.” he said, standing up and grinning from ear to ear.

“I will. I promise.” I told him. As he walked by me, ready to leave, he took a moment to ruffle my hair a little.

When he reached the door, he turned and said, “Take care, kid.”

And with that, he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank-you to all who read this.
This chapter is sorta like a filler. Not much happens.
I promise things will heat up soon.