Unwritten

Tension

CHAPTER 1

Me and my dad have never been close. Since i was about five, my dad started to beat up my mum. At first it was monthly, then weekly, and then it became daily. He used to throw these childish fits, if someone hadn't done anything. I used to run upstairs and lock myself in my room. Sometimes it went on for ages. Nowadays i tend to ignore him. "Katie" called my younger brother Rory. I made him his breakfast then started to watch an advert about chocolate milk. Did you put the sugar puffs in? Yes Rory.
He had to have sugar puffs at least once a day, no matter what time. For dinner, lunch, whenever. A moment later mum walked into the room, looking as faint as a ghost. She looked at her arms very carefully. There were purpley, bluey bruises all the way up her arms. "Soon you'll end up in hospital, if he keeps on like that" I whispered into her ear.
She sighed as she counted each and every grain of coffee that fell into her breakfast mug. By the time i'd had my own breakfast and got rory ready for school, mum and dad were arguing again. I could hear her screaming in the kitchen. Mum was so weak. She couldnt do as much as move the furniture. I brushed my short black bob and jogged onto school. When i got to school, i couldnt stop thinking about mum. I was mildly distracted when it came to maths. I've never bene good at maths, neither was my mum. What if i turned like her? Finally the bell went and i wandered home like a little lost duck. I had tons of homework, but even at home i was still worrying about mum. I tried to take my mind off of it, by playing a game with rory, but that was no use. Rorys only four so he can't read the cards anyway. "So you're sure your going to be ok?" You've got my number havent you? Mum questioned. I vaguely remember writing it down but that must have been years ago. I just nodded reluctantly as if i was a whole lot younger. I waved to them as they drove off. I tried to get some peace and quiet in my room, so i put on the fimbles dvd downstairs, but still, he started moaning and crying. In the end i locked him outside of my room. He started banging on the door. "Katie, im hungry" He whined.I stomped downstairs and peered into the fridge. There was some leftover pizza from yesterday, some bread in the cupboard and a few eggs. I cut the pizza up and made an omelette for rory. While i was adding the oil , the phone rang. "Rory, can you get that?" "Im busy" He shouted. I had to leave the hot pan to get the phone. It was mum. She was crying and i could hear dad shouting in the background, but i couldnt make out what either of them were saying.Then the phone went dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this chapter. I wrote it a couple of years ago but just found this site. So.. i hope you enjoy it! :D