Objects in the Mirror are Closer then they Appear

Five Years

Five years and nothing. Five years and it was our anniversary. Five years and instead of eating at a nice restaurant we were sitting at his parents' house. Don't get me wrong- their house is nice, it is just rather annoying when we were planning to have dinner with them and they aren't here and then there's our anniversary. Sorry, I shouldn't be fretting about it this much.

"We don't have anything better to do." He plopped down on the couch and I skittishly followed, "Mind as well stay here."

He announced realizing that no one in his family, not even the camera guys were here. I agreed knowing that we really didn't have anything better planned for the rest of the night now. This went on for one half an hour show of Ninja Warrior. I usually would have laughed when he hit mute and did voice overs, but tonight I was having a harder time controlling my mood. I had loved this for five years.

"I'll be right back." I stated patting him on the knee as I went outside

"Ok." He said holding the remote to his temple and kicking his legs off the side of the couch.

As soon as I left the talking from the TV completely filled the room. I felt his eyes on me for a split second as I left and then they went back to the distractions before. It is part of the 'rock star' lifestyle, to want to just rest when he's home. I get it. I understand. Still, five years, there could be something the he wants to show for it.

Sighing I climbed into the driver's side of his van that is normally used for touring. No, I wasn't going to make a getaway… I just didn't want to go to a bathroom to sulk like every other person in this world. Too obvious, they all know where to look. Well, I could look at it this way, half way to a decade. Resting my head against the steering wheel, I quietly and gently beat my head against it.

I loves him. He loves me. Good. Fine. Wonderful. These panicky, picky thoughts shouldn't be in my head. About thirty more seconds of this and I was going to go back inside. If I kept dwelling on it, it was going to show. Breathing deeply I meditated, or attempted too, when something caught my eye. Out of my mirror I saw Nick approaching the car, he was walking slowly and had his hands in his pockets, along with objects in the mirror are closer then they appear plastered across him. It covered up just above his knees. I opened the door and got out as soon as he was two feet away from me.

"What are you doing in there?" He questioned looking down that extra foot at me.

"Nothing." I shrugged and bit my lip, "Wait, what were you doing at the end of the driveway?"

"What? Oh, I was thinking…" He took a hand out and brushed some of his hair out of his face.

"What Nicky?" Honestly I could barely hear him talking. I shivered a bit and then he looked up to the point where I could clearly see his adam's apple bob.

"I just remembered I forgot to lock the gate. Where you in there the whole time?" I nodded and blushed, he chuckled to himself.

"Yeah… I didn't see you come out." Nick scrunched his brow and then shifted his weight.

"Come on, it is cold out here." He wrapped an over whelming arm around me and started leading. I put one around his waist and then walked with my eyes to the ground, "My mom wants you to look new furniture. She doesn't believe all of us that it looks just fine…" Nick explained as he unhooked the fence door. I blinked as he walked ahead of me.

The normally stunning back yard was completely lit up with twinkle lights in the trees and the pool had rose petals floating in it. Candles lined the pathways instead of the solar lights while a single table sat in the middle of all this. Two plates piled with a cake looking food sat facing across from each other. I smiled, knowing that he really did have something planed. We sat and I finally caught glimpse of how odd Nick looked. It was mix between deep thought and being green. Slowly and now quietly we ate. Deciding that I was over my bad mood I was now getting concerned.

"Nick are-" He stood up and took my hand as I started my sentence, "I-"

Without a word he led me to a spot between the table and pool, I was starting to shake. Nick didn't note this at all like usual and then he stopped in front of me. Unsurely he kneeled in front of me and was fumbling in his pockets again. I was trying to hyperventilate and tell him how pissy I was about ten minutes before about this. There was a grumble and then he cleared his throat.

"Will you, Marie Hart, marry me?" A smile spread across his face as he must of seen mine, his was full of boyish now. I nodded and tried to choke out 'yes' through my excitement.

Bending down I attached my lips to his, the velvet from the little black box rubbed against my arm and I held him tighter. Towering over me again he raised our intertwined hand to his chest and wrapped the other around me, that when I noticed music in the background. It was our song. And somehow he slipped the ring on my finger, that or I was just too numb to feel it. We swayed at a steady pace, when the song ended I was facing the house, that's when I saw three, faces pulling the fabric of the curtains. I turned back to Nick and threw my head back with a single laugh.

"Mom, Dad." He groaned out, finding it less humorous than I did.

"And Sophie?" I asked seeing her waving at us with a grin from ear to ear.

"No, she was in the plan to be here. At least she can stick to plans, yeah, the music." He pointed with a long finger to the sky. I stuck out a lip impressed. Nick squeezed me one more time and then we departed back to the house.

"Congratulations. You know not enough men these days take the time to really, I mean really impress a girl. You know to make it special," His father put an arm around both of us and started on some spiel. Meanwhile his mother came to my other side and was about to pull me away.

"Mom you said you wouldn't be here." Nick whined again to their faces.

"Oh, I introduced the girl to you! I should be able to see it!" She gave a hearty laugh and then hugs went around along with glasses of bubbly.

We both said thanks to Sophie and then it was my turn to lead. Nick definitely had no objections when I dragged him to the van, I was walking faster then he normally does. When we finally unlocked the door to our apartment he went down in seconds. Eventually the bed came into play…after the kitchen island and couch and maybe the wall between the bathroom and our room.

I sat up while he stayed still, silently tracing circles on my thigh. The lamp on the other side of the bed was casting pleasant shadows across his chest and suddenly he was smiling. I shoved at his shoulder and we both chuckled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, try new things.