Status: active

The Party Scene Got The Best Of Us...And Look Where We Ended Up.

1.5

"Emmy, can you come down here for a minute?" Sarah Merrick called up the stairs to her daughter, balancing a basket of laundry on her right hip. After a few moments, the sixteen year-old girl trudged down the stairs, her curly brown hair tumbling over her shoulders non-eloquently.

"Yeah, mom?" she said, brushing her too-long bangs out of her bright green eyes. Her mother passed her the laundry basket, causing the teenager to sigh unamusedly.

"This is yours," she said. "You need to start remembering to take your laundry out of the drier when it's finished. And you need to make sure that your room is clean; tomorrow is our turn to host dinner with everyone." Emmy's bangs fell back into her eyes as she rolled them. She glanced over at her father, Zack Merrick, who was sitting on the couch, playing some ridiculous surfing video game on the large flat-screen TV.

"Dad never does anything around here that doesn't revolve around you or himself," she muttered, turning and hauling the basket up the stairs. Her mother sighed, running her hand through her hair that was thrown up into a sloppy bun. She looked over to Zack, who was utterly into the video game, unaware of anything around him.

Ever since Emmy had been born, Zack had barely done anything that had to do with her. He was never completely ready to be a father; he was still unable to, even after 16 years of having a child. He was more concerned with his and Sarah's self-beings than with that of his daughter.

"Zack," she said, walking over to him. He was completely engrossed in the game; he didn't even hear her. "Zack," she repeated, a bit louder. He paused the game, looking over at Sarah.

"Yeah?" he asked, making eye contact. She sighed softly, sitting down next to him on the couch. He kissed her on the cheek, looking completely sincere. "What's wrong?"

"It's Emmy," she said, turning towards him. "You never do anything with her or for her. We've had her for sixteen years, and yet you still act like we're 22 and we don't have a child. But we do, Zack, and it's due past that you do things for her. I think the reason she spends so much in her room is because she doesn't enjoy being around someone who she thinks doesn't care about her." He sighed, burying his face in his hands for a few moments.

"It's not like I don't love her," he said. "There's just nothing that we have in common. It's hard for me to relate to a sixteen year-old girl, Sarah. What do you expect me to do? It's not like she's 5 and I can read her bedtime stories and give her piggyback rides." Emmy was sitting at the bottom of the stairs, having been sitting there for the majority of what Zack had said.

"But you never did those things, Zack," Sarah said. "And that's exactly why she doesn't think you like her."

"Well, I don't know what to do, then," he said. Emmy bit her lip, trying not to let her emotions get the best of her.

"Maybe if you actually tried to get to know me, you'd understand me," she muttered. She stood up and quietly trudged back up the stairs, feeling negleted and unloved still.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah. it's kinda fail.
but it's an update. :D
concrit is greatly appreciated.
sorry it took so long!
--lainey<3