Status: Stopped. Studies got in the way, and I stopped writing it. Will not be posting any more chapters.

Flightless Bird

Chapter One.

Imagine you’re sitting on the grass in a field, luscious green grass all around you, for miles, as far as the eye can see, and the light blue sky above you, with clouds floating by. Imagine lying back and just watching the clouds. Imagine letting the wind caress your face. Imagine feeling the warm sun on your skin. Imagine being all alone, and listening to the sounds that nature makes. Imagine being in your own little world. Imagine all the flowers you could ever think of. This is the place that Michelle goes when she feels down. This is the place Michelle goes when she needs some time to think.

Michelle Alice Jackson is a seventeen year old girl, in her last year of high-school. She has beautiful brown curls that reach her shoulders, and the deepest blue eyes that anyone could melt into. Michelle’s body is small and petite, like anyone could crush her in one hug; she’s got the most gorgeous smile that gleams at anyone. She’s the type of girl that any guy would love to have, but there’s one problem with that, Michelle’s a lesbian.

Now, imagine yourself as a teenager, sitting at a desk pretending to do your work. Stealing glances – every chance you get – at the one you love. This is a typical day for Michelle, stealing glances at a girl called Emily Louise Anderson. Michelle had fallen for Emily about three and a half years ago, how she longed to kiss her tender lips. Emily was average height, with short red hair and a fringe that reached her emerald eyes. Emily was a very popular girl, while Michelle chose to keep to herself.

Michelle’s best friend was a boy called Christopher Andrew Johnson – Chris for short. Chris was tall and leonine. His hair was blonde and reached the bottom of his ears. He never did anything with it, always kept it messy. Chris had dark – almost black – eyes. He seemed to be angry or upset all the time. Maybe it was because a war was raging inside him, or maybe he was just sick of being a teenager, no one knew, not even Michelle. Chris kept to himself a lot, he liked being alone, like Michelle. He was an odd boy, even Michelle thought so sometimes. But they were still the best of friends, and knew (nearly) everything about each other.

Emily walked into class five minutes late, her boots softly tapping on the ground, with her red hair flicking behind her as she walked. Michelle watched as Emily took her seat behind her, then sighed and continued to listen to the teacher – Mrs Robinson – continue the lesson. It was about five minutes to the end of class when Emily first spoke to Michelle.

“Psst…” Emily said trying to get Michelle’s attention. Michelle turned around and looked at her, and Emily passed her a note. Michelle turned back around and opened the note. Inside it read “Can you meet me outside the canteen at lunch? I need to talk to you.” Michelle smiled, folded up the paper and then continued to listen to the teacher until the end of the period.

Michelle got to her English class where Chris was in his usual seat. Michelle took the seat next to him and told him about the encounter with Emily. Chris was happy for Michelle; she was finally getting to talk to the girl that she’d spent so many hours gazing at.

“What do you think she wants to talk about?” Chris asked Michelle. Michelle just shrugged and looked over her speech notes, Why is discrimination against gays and lesbians alright? She sighed and wondered if it would just be better if she weren’t a lesbian. She wondered what things would be like, if they’d be much different. If everyone around her wouldn’t be so…avoiding.

After half an hour of class Michelle put her pen down and gave her hand a rest, she’d been writing non-stop for her speech, and her hand had started cramping. She looked over her speech, and thought it was alright. She put her head down on the desk and soon fell asleep. She woke again when the bell rang. Chris shoved her then started walking out the door. Michelle put her books in her bag then headed outside. It was lunch time.

Michelle wandered around for a little while, trying to put off talking to Emily. She’d wanted to talk to her for so long, but now that she had the chance she was far too nervous. She knew that if she started talking to Emily she’d not be able to breathe. She wouldn’t be able to find the right words, stutters, everything would go wrong. But Emily wanted to talk to her, so she knew she had to go and talk to her. It was only a conversation. It wasn’t the end of the world. Michelle made up her mind. She’d go and talk to Emily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Should I carry on with this? Yes/No?

And please, feel free to give constructive criticism.
I'd like to get better at writing :]