Cynical Relations

Chapter Sixteen;

The great hall had been transformed with luxurious decorations and the ceiling had been bewitched so that it looked like snow was falling, stopping short of the pupils heads. Everyone had entered and were assembled around the room. Lacie, along with the fourth years, was staring in awe at how everything looked. She managed to ignore the eyes that she felt on her and smiled.

“I’ve never seen the great hall look so beautiful,” Lacie uttered as Draco lead her over to where the professors and some of the other students had gathered. He couldn’t help but laugh as she looked around her with wide eyes, trying to take everything in all at once.

“What happens now?” Lacie asked in an excited whisper. All of her nerves from earlier on had disappeared and were now replaced by pure excitement. She glanced to her professors and her eyes met with Snape’s; she refrained from laughing at how they showed nothing but displeasure about being there.

“The prefects enter with their partners and they start the dance,” She looked away from Snape and then scanned the room, looking for a certain red haired boy. Her eyes landed on him to find that his date was Hermione Granger. Draco quickly stole her attention back though as he put his arm around her, pulling Lacie into his side securely. The orchestra suddenly played loudly and the great hall’s doors were pulled open to let the several prefects and their partners enter.

Lacie thought this was rather unnecessary for them to enter like this though because unlike the Triwizard champions, they hadn’t really done anything applause worthy; unless you count being pains in the asses throughout the year and sucking up to the professors. The music changed to a softer tone and Lacie watched as some of the professors and students joined the prefects on the dance floor.

***

Draco held Lacie close to his body as they spun around the dance floor, weaving throughout couples in time to the music. She laughed joyfully as she stumbled over her feet and Draco had to hold onto her to make sure that she didn’t fall.

The orchestra slowly stopped playing and the couples clapped briefly before Dumbledore stepped forward. He merely waved his hand and several large round tables faded into the empty spaces of the great hall. Lacie smiled as she felt Draco clasp her hand, gently tugging her towards one of the tables.

“Draco, Lacie, it’s lovely to see that you’re both still here,” Pansy greeted with a forced smile.

“Um, yes, you as well,” Lacie replied in slight confusion. She sat beside her with Draco on her other side. Chatter erupted loudly as food appeared in the centre of the tables but Lacie could sense nothing but hostility from the people around her. Much like the awkward meals that Lacie had endured with these people before, this one was definitely not going to be any different.

The meal had passed with the students filling themselves with luxurious food of all kinds. They had all once again moved back onto the dance floor and were gracefully dancing in their couples - well as gracefully as teenagers can. Lacie however was beginning to feel less than perfect. A pain was spreading through her stomach, leaving her feeling quite nauseous.

“I think I need to sit down for a minute,” Lacie could feel her head spinning slightly as she stumbled, holding onto Draco.

“Are you alright?” Draco asked as he wrapped his arm around her waist, walking with her to their table.

“Yes, yes I’m fine. Just too much dancing, you know?” She managed to give Draco a small smile through the dull pain. She took her glass in her hand and downed the rest of the sweet juice in it. Had she eaten something rotten?

“I’ll go get you another drink,” Draco took her glass from her hand and then turned to go over to the drinks table, promising that he would be as quick as he could. Lacie watched him with a fond smile but jumped as someone took the seat beside her suddenly.
♠ ♠ ♠
What could be going on with our dear little Lacie, hmm? ^_^

So here is an update. Short, I know but well, at least it's something. College is closed because of the snow but I'm ill so that sucks. Thank you to the people that have stuck with me and have put up with my slacking, I love you guys <3