Cynical Relations

Chapter Twenty-One;

Lacie fell asleep until the evening when Madam Pomfrey awoke her to give her a nourishment potion as she was finding it hard to keep normal food down. She couldn’t keep her eyes open long enough to read so ended up just laying back down and getting lost in her thoughts.

“Lacie?” She jumped and opened her eyes briefly and saw Draco stood before her holding a dozen red roses. “I uh got you these,” he uttered, awkwardly rubbing his shoulder with his free hand.

“Thanks,” She spoke softly as he sat down in the empty seat at her bedside.

“If I’d known I would’ve helped you last night,” He said softly running a hand through his dishevelled hair, “I only found out at lunch though, Dumbledore told us-”

“Draco the bets over. Just leave me alone please.”

“No, no, you need to understand that things changed for me, it started out as a bet but I don’t know, things just changed,’ Draco reached forward to take her hand but as soon as he touched her, she pulled away and retreated further into the duvet.

“The difference between us is that it didn’t take a bet for me to be attracted to you, Draco,” She squeezed her eyes shut as she felt tears rising.

“But I-”

“I always thought you had a certain charm about you and ironically that’s one of the reasons why Justin came after me that night you hurt me in the bathroom. And then you started being nice to me. Sure you poured Veritaserum down my throat and scared the living crap out of me but you were being nice to me.

You don’t know what it’s like to be ignored for six bloody years and then suddenly have someone you’ve admired finally notice you. It’s my own fault really for not realising that it must’ve been some joke, some trick… a bet.”

“Things changed though-”

“I don’t care!” Lacie opened her eyes and struggled to push herself into a sitting position, straining all of her pained muscles. “I trusted you through everything Draco! Only to find out I was being lied to the entire time.

I don’t care if things changed for you, the fact of the matter is that it started out as a bet. It was all fake! I’m just a stupid blood traiter to you lot,” She felt dizzy from the movement and immediately put a hand to her head. There was a flash of sympathy and worry in Draco’s eyes before he stood abruptly, pushing the chair out.

“I’m trying to make things up to you Lacie, I’m trying. I’ve never tried to stop someone walking away from me before because no one else had made that much of an impression on me.”

“You should’ve made that effort in our first year then. It’s too late now,” Lacie hissed at him as he looked down at her.

“Fine,” Draco glared at her, “At least I bloody tried Lacie.”

“Just go.”

“I don’t need you anyway,” Draco hissed and threw the roses on the bedside table roughly before storming out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Probably two more updates until the end. I started writing a sequel just because I like Lacie's character and didn't want to leave her so I might end up posting that, but I might not. It follows the HP timeline a bit better than this one anyway and is probably a bit more sinister. I hope you liked the update :)