Cynical Relations

Chapter Seven;

Sunday had flown by with the young girl hiding in her dormitory mostly due to not wanting to run into either Justin or Draco. This however got the Slytherin girls - that she slept in the same room as - talking. So the previous night Lacie had fallen to sleep with the sound of the other girl’s talking amongst themselves and now she was waking to the same sound.

It was the beginning of the Christmas holidays so Lacie didn’t have lessons until after the new year but still, she didn’t want to miss breakfast. She slowly pulled herself from her bed and padded across the cool floor until she reached the girl’s bathroom. Lacie proceeded to take a long shower, letting the water soak her body and massage her aching joints.

She noticed that her bruises had nearly gone thanks to the balm that Madam Pomfrey had rubbed into her skin. Lacie quickly dressed, pulling on a simple pair of jeans and a thick jumper, before leaving the dormitories. She walked down the cold hallway and into the common room where she kept her eyes to the floor, gripping her book and her notebook in her hand.

Breakfast was always more relaxed in the holidays with it lasting two hours instead of only one. After Lacie had finished eating she never left the table but instead opened Little Women and carried on reading from where she’d left off. The four house tables had groups of people dotted around them but weren’t full like they were on school days. Lacie however preferred this as no one was actually sat around her meaning that she wouldn’t be interrupted from the book that she so happened to be engrossed in.

A few owls suddenly entered the great hall, dropping mail to those students that were there. Lacie recoiled in surprise as three letters were dropped in front of her; she hardly ever got mail. Curious, she placed her book down and picked up the letters. The first she picked up was her invitation to the Yule Ball.

Miss Lacie Horncroft,
You are cordially invited to Hogwarts’ annual Yule Ball.
If you do decide to attend, then it is requested that you come with a partner. Please dress formally and be at the Great Hall for eight pm. The night shall end at midnight when you must head straight back to your dormitories.


With a sigh, Lacie pushed the invitation to the side as after all, she wasn’t going to be going to ball just like the year previous. She picked up the second letter, immediately noticing her mother’s writing.

“Of course they sent one home as well,” Lacie muttered and ripped open the letter none the less.

Lacie dear, your father and I just received a letter from school informing us about the Yule Ball. I take it you won’t want to wear the same dress that you wore last year so I’ll send you another. I’ve seen a beautiful one that would suit you perfectly. I’ll send it as soon as I can love. Your father and I are well. We both hope that you’ll write to us about how the ball went this year as last year you never.
Love mum xoxo.


Lacie looked at the letter, shaking her head slightly. Last years dress had been shoved into her trunk as soon as it had arrived, this year it was going to be the same. She’d of course lie though and write a letter, telling her mother about things that would’ve happened on the night but of course she would skip details. Lacie picked up the final letter and looked at it confused. She didn’t recognise the handwriting but ‘Lacie’ was scrawled onto the envelope quite clearly proving that it was for her and hadn’t just been mixed up. She pulled open the flap of the envelope and her eyes immediately started scanning the text before her.

Lacie, first off I’d like to apologise for how I acted Saturday night. I shouldn’t have done what I did but I needed to know if you were planning to blackmail me. You can understand that can’t you? I am sorry if I scared you but I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I would like it if you gave me the chance to redeem myself and get to know you a little better. Please meet me by the Whomping Willow today at noon.
Draco Malfoy.
Ps, you don’t have to worry about Justin anymore. I had words with him.


Lacie was shocked to say the least as after all wasn’t this the guy that had forcibly poured Veritaserum down her throat? And what did he mean he had ‘had words’ with Justin? The general essence of the letter made Draco almost seem like a gentleman but still, Lacie wasn’t fooled. However, she was going to meet him at noon still as after all, she was curious.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, okay, don't kill me, i know this is moving at an awfully fast pace but it has to. There is a reason behind it all which you'll find out in a later chapter.

Please review guys =/
Thank you to the three people who are doing so.