Status: Re write :) please comment

The Diary of Bree

School

Present

I tugged at my duvet as my alarm screamed to life. Have I ever told you I hate waking up early, especially for school? I was freezing since my parents took it upon themselves to shut the heat off in my room for not having dinner on the table when they got home from work yesterday. I was surprised they didn’t come in and take all my blankets too, so thankfully I was able to sleep ok despite the freezing temperature in my room.

I heard a knock at the window and saw Ricky standing on my balcony waiting to be let in from cold December weather. We were only 10 days away from Christmas and only 3 days away from winter break from school. I could hardly contain myself as I jumped off the bed and opened the French doors that lead out to my small second floor balcony. I gave him a quick hug and ushered him into my room before my parents heard anything.

“Hurry up and get dressed. We can go get breakfast before school.” He whispered.

“I’m not really that hungry, can’t I just sleep in a little more” I whined.

“No, when was the last time you actually ate Bree, because I didn’t see you eat anything all day at school yesterday, or the day before that.” He stated staring at me intently.

Had I forgot to mention that even though I made dinner for my parents on a daily basis, it was rare for them to actually let me eat with them. I usually got the leftovers, and if there weren’t any, well I was shit out of luck. Of course the last couple days I have been in a rush to get to work after making my parents dinner so I haven’t had time to make enough for me as well. I think the last few days have been pretty much filling up on water.

“I had dinner yesterday before I went to work.” I lied. I didn’t want Ricky to feel like he needed to buy me food. He already does enough for me, and his family has always been so nice to me. I don’t want to become a burden for another family.

Ricky stared at me for a few minutes before looking away so I could hurry up and get dressed for school. He didn’t look like he believed me but at least he dropped the subject for now.

The ride to Dunkin Donuts was short and awkwardly silent. I could tell Ricky didn’t believe my whole dinner story, but he didn’t bring it up again, which I was thankful for. We ordered our coffee and breakfast sandwiches and drove to school. I sat in the front seat, practically swallowing my breakfast sandwich since I was so hungry. I regretted it though because after I finished I felt sick to my stomach, having not eaten in a few days really messed with me. I tried to forget about that sensation in the pit of my stomach and continued to drink my coffee before we had to head into school.

I managed to make it through second period before my breakfast decided it didn’t want to be inside my stomach anymore. As the bell rang I practically sprinted to the girls bathroom to empty the contents of my stomach. Now not only was I left with a disgusting taste in my mouth, I was left even hungrier than I was this morning. I decided it was best if I just went to the nurse and asked to lye down for a little while so my stomach could settle down. When I go there the nurse wasn’t there so I took it upon myself to sign myself in and lay down on the cot on the other side of the room.

I awoke only to find I had missed all of third and fourth period and it was currently lunch time. I got up and signed myself out of the nurse’s office before making my way to my usual lunch spot in the cafeteria. Ricky was waiting for me offering up half his sandwich before I told him I wasn’t feeling good and didn’t want anything to eat right now. I settled on a bottle of water and sat down next to Ricky. I didn’t have work today so I would have time to make enough dinner so that there would most definitely be left overs for me once my parents finished off what they wanted. I was deep in thought about what I was going to make for dinner I completely failed to listen to what my best friend was trying to tell me.

“. . . . . . . . . . ride to work tonight?”

“What?” I asked “Sorry I spaced out for a minute”

“I was asking you if you needed a ride to work tonight or do you have the night off?” He replied.

“Oh sorry I have the night off so I just need a ride home from school if you don’t have anything after school.” I said.

“Nope” He said with the same goofy smile he always has. “I’ll meet you at your locker after 7th period ok”

I nodded ok just as the bell rang ending lunch and beginning 5th period. I had English while Ricky had history all the way across school. I swear the school purposefully made our schedules so we never have any classes together. I pretty much slept through English, as it was a seriously boring subject. 6th period was the best since I had music class, the only class that I actually got things done. I grabbed my guitar from the closet and took out the song I had been working on for the last few months. I was so focused that I was startled when the bell rang ending 6th period. I was happy with my progress but it was no where near finished since I could only work on it for these short 45 minutes a day. My 7th period history class came and went and I found myself walking back to my locker at the end of the day to drop off my books and meet Ricky to head home.

While I packed my stuff I listened to Ricky talk aimlessly about his brother Aiden who was overseas right now. Apparently Aiden had sent him a letter saying that he would be home in a few months for a short break. Aiden and Ricky were really close until he decided to join the military and eventually got sent overseas. Aiden tried to write letters, and Ricky tried to send care packages whenever he could, but nothing can replace actually having him right there with you.

We headed to the car and before I knew it we were pulling up to my driveway. I reluctantly got out waving goodbye to Ricky as he backed out of my driveway and drove off in the opposite direction. My smile instantly faded as I knew I had to hurry up and make dinner before my parents got home at 5.

3:15 plenty of time to get dinner ready I thought to myself as I headed in and searched through the refrigerator.

I searched through my phone for a decent recipe and started prepping. Before I knew it the timer rang on the over signaling the chicken was done. I looked at the clock and saw that it was already 4:45, shit I yelled. I only had 15 minutes to finish everything and clean up before my parents got home. Of course I wasn’t able to get everything on the table and clean up in time before my parents got home. I was instantly sent to my room with no dinner.

I ran upstairs so they couldn’t see the tears that threatened to fall. I was so hungry, I was exhausted, and I now had to do hours full of homework. I tried to distract myself by pulling out the diary that I had well hidden in my room.

I guess I will write for a little while I thought to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is much longer than the other ones so far and I am sorry that its pretty filler-ish

Also intro to Ricky's brother Aiden who will play a big part later in the story :)

comment please so I know i'm doing something right :)

suggestions are always welcome!