Second Star to the Right

An Extra Large Sprite

I fell asleep on my bed, and woke up in the passenger seat of Tom's car.

Groggily, I rub my eyes and sit up straight. My back aches, but I don't mention it because my throat's dry and raspy. My head's throbbing slightly as I leaned my head against the cold window, trying to recall what happened last night and exactly how I got here. Angled in a slightly weird position, I move around trying to satisfy my back.

"Mornin', Alec," Tom says to me while having a firm grip on the steering wheel. From the very little light, I saw him looking at me from the corner of his eyes. A smile was on his face.

It was completely dark, except for the blue neon letters on the dashboard and the headlights against the road. The letters burn my eyes, and I shut them tightly before opening them again. The car smells like fast food and cigarettes. Max must've been in here.

Wait. If there's fast food, there must be an extra large Sprite somewhere. I know Tom too well.

I leaned across him slowly, careful to not hit his arms, and grabbed the drink from his cup holder. I take a long sip out of it, and placed it in the holder between us. I swallow a few times, trying to revive my throat. It works.

"You're... a liar," Were the first words to come out of my mouth. I struggle a bit. Sugary sodas weren't exactly appealing to a dry and raspy throat.

"Hm?"

"It's still night. You said 'mornin''".

Tom chuckles, and I smile softly and turn my head towards the road. My eyes lock onto every sign we pass, but none of the exits or street names seem familiar. "Where are we going?" I ask.

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning!" Tom replies.

I tilt my head and blink. Soon, a smile appears on my face and I stare out at the road. This will be fun.