‹ Prequel: Rebirth
Status: Hiatus.

X-Family

Her Memories

Meditating was easy. You breathe in, you breathe out, you don't think and you don't move. Mom - the amazing XMan that she was - fell asleep in the first hour, leaving me and dad to meditate through her soft snores. It was kind of like going underwater in a bathtub; you can hear what's going on in the world, but it's muffled and you can't make out the words.

Training wasn't so easy. I think my parents were trying to convince me to quit with all the extra laps, crunches, and push ups I had to do, but it didn't change anything. I was going to do this, with or without their help.

Dad was glaring at me after two hours of training. "You're serious, aren't you?" He asked, as if he still couldn't believe it.

I nodded, bent over while I panted, before straightening and looking him in the eye. "Of course. Why would I have powers if I'm not going to use them?" I finally asked, nodding at him in thanks when he handed me a towel to wipe my face and neck clean of sweat. He was silent for a moment, and I sighed. "You think I'm like Aunt Jasey, don't you? That I'll see someone die and completely fall apart, right?"

"Lorelai, you know that isn't true," he tried, but when he didn't look at me, I knew I was right.

"THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!" I screamed, throwing down my towel. I think mom might have woken up at my scream, but I didn't care. I was so sick of this! I wasn't my aunt! "I am not Jasey!" It was silent. My mother, who I knew was awake, was in shock as much as my father. With a growl, I grabbed my hoodie from the ground and walked away.

--

I didn't know why I was here. I may have heard all about them, but I've never known them. The gravestones weren't like them, from what I've been told. They were active and happy, not cold and still. But that just came with death.

Jasey Rae Summers was written in neat cursive on her gravestone, which was right next to Scott 'Cyclops' Summers. My mom thought that she and Scott should have the last name, though they weren't married. She told me, "If they would have lived, they would have been married."

A soft wind was blowing, cooling me off from my workout and emotional explosion. I didn't hate my parents. They just made me mad, thinking that I'd do what my aunt did. I knew all about my father killing her in mercy, I knew that my mom fell apart, and I knew that they were trying to convince me not to fight because they thought I'd turn up like my aunt; six feet under.
With a sigh, I stood, staring at the two gravestones. Death wasn't a new concept to me. I knew people died, I knew that people killed each other. I knew how much it hurt to lose someone, whether my parents believed me or not. I had learned it from their memories. As I was getting ready to leave, I looked at the gravestone with pursed lips. "I don't hate them for trying to protect me," I spoke to my deceased family. "I just want to fight. I want to help."

As a goodbye, I reached out to touch her gravestone, gasping when I was sucked in to a memory.

She was silent as she stared ahead, not even paying attention to a car when it barely missed hitting her side. Her eyes were unfocused, starring ahead as she - I knew - was trapped in her own memories. This was the first memory of hers I had ever had. The first time I had even seen her except for in a photo or two, which was all we had of her.

My Aunt Jasey was beautiful. Even though she was smaller than mom, with ice blue eyes and brown hair that held hot pink and purple tips, I could tell that her and mom were twins, and that thought made me smile.

She sighed, frowning at the ground, and I realized with shock mom wasn't with her. That wasn't normal. From everything I had ever heard about her and mom, they were always together, always in trouble one way or another. And then, I realized why. She was going back to the plant.

I had seen it once before in mom's memory as Aunt Jasey ran away, but I had never seen it from her side. You could tell it was killing her to leave her sister - her other half, her best friend - but she had to do it. I found new respect for my aunt.

The scene changed to a dirt road leading towards a large unit of buildings surrounded by a tall fence of barbwire. Aunt Jasey was shaking her head, as if calling herself an idiot, as she continued to walk. As she approached the opening gate, she let out a small whisper before letting all the emotions run from her, leaving a blank face and disconnected eyes.
"I hope you can forgive me.


As I came back to time, I knew what I had to do. And that started with talking to Bobby Drake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter by lissasaywhaa?