‹ Prequel: Rebirth
Status: Hiatus.

X-Family

Home Turf

Training was never easy, but this was like super training. We ran for fifteen minutes, sparred for thirty minutes, ran another fifteen minutes, and then did our regular routine that the Professor set out for every mutant that wanted to be an X-Man; the Danger Room, tactical class, and much more that I could tell you about but it'd take forever.

Everyone thought that I was crazy for doing this, but all I said was that I had good reason. For one, there were my parents. With pasts like theirs - the ones that haunt you for as long as you live - they didn't deserve to be hurt more than they already were. For two, my Aunt Jasey. I didn't know her, but I know that no one deserves the life that she got; the one where her and her sister were tortured and escaped that only to lose the man that she loved. She died because she was so miserable, leaving behind my mom. And now, it was my job to take care of my mom.

With a sigh I looked to my ceiling. Training had ended about an hour ago and even though I was exhausted, I couldn't sleep. There were too many questions running through my mind and I couldn't close them off. So, at one in the morning, I sat there thinking out possible answers. I, personally, thought that it was the Brotherhood. There was just too much past between them and us for it to be anyone else. And how else would they have known about my Aunt? But then I got lost. Who had the ability to implant ideas into people's brains?

I knew that the Professor could do that, but he'd never attack my mother. So it had to be a telepath that wanted vengeance against us. Growling, I shoved my hand through my hair. Only one person would actually believe me; my dad. So, with another sigh, I threw my legs over the side of my bed and hissed at the cold that instantly met me. Grabbing my hoodie and a pair of socks, I quickly added them to what I was wearing before making my way to the observation room where dad was staying to keep mom company. Stopping at the kitchen, I grabbed him a steaming cup of coffee that would, hopefully, make him talk.

Dad was sitting in a metal chair smoking what could have been - going by the amount of filters on the ground - his sixteenth cigarette. I could see on the door where he had tried to open it, but the Professor must have put a block on it just for that reason. Either he didn't trust us or... he didn't trust mom.

"Dad," I said softly so I didn't startle him. I mean, it's Wolverine, okay? Dad snapped from the trance he was in, sitting up and looking at me with half lidded eyes that seemed to come to life as they settled on the coffee in my hands. Handing it over to him carefully, I leaned against the window, turning to look at mom with anger in my veins. She still had her hands chained behind her back, but at least she was out.

"What're you doing up?" Dad asked, glaring at me but not in real anger. I smirked, crossing my arms as I spoke.

"I had some theories that I figured only you'd listen to." I replied, watching as he slowly loosened up. Slouching again, he nodded to show he was listening, so I eagerly spoke again. "It was the Brotherhood, wasn't it?"

Dad was silent for a moment before he let out a shuddering sigh. "Yeah," he breathed, grabbing the coffee and taking a large gulp.

"And they're after you and mom because Aunt Jasey killed Magneto." It wasn't a question. Dad didn't have to say anything. The way he merely looked at me answered it all, and I nodded. At least we knew who we were up against, I thought with a smirk. Turning back to mom, I frowned as I watched her. The idea that anyone could hurt my mom astounded me. She was one of the strongest people I've ever met; how someone could actually hurt her, I just didn't know.

My attention went back to dad as he rose, taking his time in popping his back before he spoke again. "That's why you need to-" He stopped, suddenly, and I looked at him in confusion before I heard it. Well, actually, felt it.

The whole building seemed to sway as a large crash echoed throughout the huge mansion. Dad and I were frozen before suddenly he popped his claws, turning to give me a hard, supposed to be scary, glare. "You stay here," he growled, turning and running off. I blinked twice before looking at mom again. Growling, I took off after dad.

"Fuck that," I seethed. They had hurt my mom, and now they were attacking my home. With a grin, I realized that this was the perfect time for me to use my training against the Brotherhood; it was home turf.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter by lissasaywhaa?