‹ Prequel: Rebirth
Status: Hiatus.

X-Family

Memories

My parents had always been off - I mean, who teaches their six year old daughter the art of self defense so they can fight off other mutants? - but they were acting too differently for my comfort. They hardly fought anymore, and even though that may seem like a good thing, it was possibly the worst. They were like the negative and positive sides of magnets. They didn't like to go together, but if you could just get the edges to touch, they'd stick. My parents fighting was how they had fun together. Making fun of each other was showing their love, and they weren't doing that. I was scared.

This could only mean one or two things; that A.) Since dad had 'accidentally' stabbed our TV so that we weren't able to watch the news, there was a new threat; or B.) They had found out about my tattoo and didn't want to admit who was at blame for me getting an X between my shoulder blades. I was betting on A, personally.

My mutation allowed me to read memories - though there were ways to stop me from seeing them - and the last time they had acted like this was when Magneto was on a rampage when my Aunt Jasey was alive. It was so different, so foreign, that I didn't know how to ask them what was going on. Lucky for me, my chance presented itself one day after I had been home.

It was a normal day. We were sitting there, eating breakfast, when the Professor wheeled into our house. After talking to mom and dad for a few minutes, he left, and my parents stood by the doorway for a few minutes. When I saw the look on their faces, I knew that something was terribly, terribly wrong. Nearly five minutes later, Mom returned to the table, followed by Dad, acting as if nothing had happened but I could see right through that.

Without much thought, I grabbed my mom's arm, knowing that she didn't hold back her memories as well as dad, holding tight as I used my mutation to fill in the blanks.

--

Watching memories was kind of like looking at the oncoming cars as you drove on the interstate; coming fast and gone in the blink of an eye. The memories went by at a speed almost too fast for my eyes until I arrived yesterday. The Professor knocked, looking to the right to make sure no one was watching him, before mom opened the door. Worry crossed her face the moment she laid eyes on him.

"Is Lorelai awake?" He asked, looking behind her into the house.

"She's still half asleep though," mom said, her eyes narrowing as she thought. "Should I get Logan?"

"Yes, and come outside, I don't want Lorelai hearing this," He said, wheeling himself backwards so that the door could close. Mom went straight to dad, telling him that the Professor was there, before they joined him once again and sat in the lawn chairs that had been there since forever. The Professor didn't hesitate. "There have been a string of mysterious deaths lately."

"You woke us up to tell us something that happens every single day?" Logan squinted in the sunlight, his thoughts were reflected in his eyes as emotions flickered over his face; worry, regret, anger. His jaw clenched as the Professor spoke again.

"Deaths of mutants, Logan," He said. His tone wasn't like anything I had ever heard; the Professor had never spoke badly to me before, but hearing the anger in his voice made me flinch.

My voice called out from the house, causing mom to look behind her in worry. "You two keep talking, and Logan, when you come back in, act normal. I don't want Lorelai to even suspect something, understood?" Without another word, she stood and returned to the house, and the memory ended.


--

It was silent for a moment, until I stood abruptly, causing my chair to fall backwards and hit the ground loudly. "Were you even going to tell me?!" I almost screamed, feeling tears beginning to gather at the corner of my eyes. My parents grimaced, looking away from me, and I had my answer. With a growl, I turned, but my dad caught me before I could get far.
"Stop, Lorelai. This is childish!" He scolded, eyes narrowed to slits as he spoke. I glared at him, pulling my arm free as I took a step backwards.

"No, dad. Not trusting me is childish. Not telling me that you could go out there and fucking die is cruel. And not letting me fight because my aunt isn't fair," I finished, turning around and grabbing my jacket as my mother's eyes filled with tears and my dad closed his jaw. Without a glance back, I slammed the door behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter by lissasaywhaa?