Status: j

He's Strong. He's Hot. He's Foreign. (And He's in the Mafia?)

Further Down the Hole

“So you think it’s a good idea?” I asked Peter after he got home from work that afternoon.

“Mmhmm” he said, holding my cheek in his hand, “Would you be able to get time off next week? Because I think that is the only time I can get off”

“Yeah…okay…” I mumbled, looking around sullenly.

“What’s wrong, honey?” he asked, his voice smooth.

“Nothing” I assured him, perking my head up and staring at him brightly, “Just tired I guess”

“Then you should go to bed early, I’ll be gone tonight, I don’t want you to wait up” Peter said, kissing my cheek.

“But I get worried” I said earnestly, “Especially now since I know you’re…” My voice trailed off, not wanting to even acknowledge the fact that the person I loved the most was a part of illegal activities that involved killing people.

“How about this? I will stay with you until you fall asleep and then you won’t even notice that I’m gone” he soothed, kissing my lips.

“But what if I wake up in the middle of the night?” I protested, trying to force him to stay home and maybe eventually quit the mafia for good.

“That’s a risk we’ll have to take” he smirked, moving pieces of hair away from my face. I sighed and dug my head into his chest, whimpering, “Please be careful…please”

“I will” he promised, his voice husky. He placed a hand on the back off my head, holding my head to his chest.
That night in bed, I was doing my best not to fall asleep and to keep Peter next to me all night.

“You’re doing this on purpose” he growled, the tone of his voice not affecting his soft touch as his fingertips traveled up and down my arm. We lay side by side practically glued together He clearly didn't want to leave either.

“Then just stay” I insisted, turning over so I was on top of him, my arms clinging to his neck. If I had to physically keep him with me, then so be it.

“Jane…this is ridiculous, I will be fine and I have done this more times than you know” he sighed, trying to roll me back on the bed, but I stayed stubbornly stapled to him. If he left then who knows what could happen. People were bound to seek revenge if was an assassin. What if someone pulled a gun on him?

“Peter please” I whimpered, my voice feeble and pathetic, “Your father can’t run your life, you have to stand up to him”

“Goodbye Jane” he snarled, pushing me off him and disappearing out the door. A deafening slam rung through the apartment indicating the rare aggression that Peter felt towards me. In fact, I cannot remember a time when he ever physically handled me in a stern manner. He was always gentle, always patient.

I sighed and got up; wandering into the beautiful kitchen Peter had bought for me. Everything new, everything was high-brand. Peter did so much for me and knew me so well, yet I now felt like I barely knew him. His secret opened so many paths for our relationship to take, yet by accepting his wedding proposal, a few doors had been closed. Getting out was not an option. But why would I want to get out? Peter was my paradise.

I eventually fell asleep, but it was a restless sleep. Peter was still out there, still in danger.

I was awoken by the slamming of the bedroom door. I looked up dazedly to see Peter standing over me, his face partially illuminated by the moon rays coming in through the window, leaving the rest of his face in shadows.

“Peter” I mumbled, wanting to run into his arms and make sure he was okay, but I was fatigued I could barely speak, let alone move.

Without saying a word, Peter removed his shirt and pants and climbed in next to me, burying his head into my neck, strong arms encasing me. My neck suddenly felt damp and Peter’s muscular arms were now shaking as they held me.

This was the first time I had ever witnessed Peter cry. I did not think he was capable of doing that. Whenever I cried, I felt that was being automatically labeled as weak. But Peter made me feel okay to cry, so I had to do the same with him. I didn't question, there’d be plenty of time for that tomorrow. Trying to mimic how Peter soothed me, I wrapped my arms around his neck and running my fingers through his hair.

The only words Peter whispered that night were, “My Janey…my sweet Janey…” as he held me tighter and tighter, letting out silent sobs.

I waited for Peter to fall asleep before I fell asleep myself, just in case he did want to talk.
“Yes…of course…well you know what happened last time, Gregory, not everyone was spared the cuts and bruises…” I slowly opened my eyes, looking up to see Peter sitting on the edge of the bed, fully dressed, Blackberry on ear, talking in a low voice while his other hand was on my thigh, rubbing it gently, “…no I will be away on business for the next two weeks…I will most certainly do that, goodbye”

He looked down at me with tired eyes, a slight smile on his face, “Good morning, darashya”

“Hi” I mumbled, sitting up in bed.

“Did you have a good sleep?” he asked, putting a hand to my cheek.

I nodded, closing my eyes as he stroked my cheek.

“Ah…I love the way your skin feels in the morning…so soft and warm…” he murmured, leaning in and kissing my cheek.

“Peter…about last night…” I started, but his lips came crashing down on mine, two unyielding hands pushing me back onto the bed.

“You want to come to the hotel with me this afternoon? My father is in Russia on business” he purred, kissing my neck, “I’m going to be working all night and the presidential suite is open, and I’d love to have you close”

“Mmmkay” I mumbled, mesmerized as he lips traveled down my neck. I avoided going to the hotel whenever Mr. Dombrovski was around. He never failed to scare me beyond belief, whether it was with threats or cynical remarks about my baking (I had made many baked goods for him in attempt to kiss ass). His all-around brooding manner is what frightened me most. Now that I had discovered he was a leader of a mob, it all made sense now.

“Will your brothers be there?” I asked dazedly, closing my eyes, enjoying firm yet gentle touch.

“Yes…” he admitted, kissing his way back up to my lips, “But they won’t hurt you, darashya, I promise you”

“They say things, Peter, they say I’m weak and I’d be defenseless against them if they were to try anything…they say they’d get their way…and I wouldn’t tell you because I’d like it” I cried, “I wouldn’t like it, I’d hate it Peter, I hate them”

“My brothers know not to dare touch you, darashya, you will always have my protection” he assured, resting his forehead against mine. I sighed, reveling in the tenderness of the moment, of every moment I had with Peter.
“Take deep breaths honey, just say hello and that will be all” he purred in my ear as he led me up the steps to the hotel, one hand around my waist, rubbing it reassuringly.

“I trust you” I mumbled, resting my head on his shoulder.

“Hey, look who’s here! I guess the cows came home Janey?” Ivan, wearing an all black suit with a red tie and a gold-plated name tag which read Manager, called as he walked up from behind the front desk.

“Hello” I said politely, trying to keep my voice as level as possible.

“No biting remark? I think someone’s becoming a lady” Ivan murmured, gazing down at me.

“If being a lady means groveling at your presence then count me out” I hissed. Peter sighed in disapproval and pulled me closer to his side.

“Such a cute young thing” Ivan snickered, pinching my cheek a little too hard to be called affectionate. His eyes turned on Peter and he spoke Russian, followed by a laugh. Judging by Peter’s reaction, it was probably more shit about me.

“Shut up and go back to work” Peter growled.

“She is not worthy to serve her purpose” Ivan spat, obviously put off, before walking away briskly.

“And what, pray tell, is my ‘purpose’?” I muttered, looking up at Peter dryly.

“Being a mafia wife can be a full-time job, but I don’t want to make this your life, Janey, I want you and that to be separate, I will not put you in anymore danger then you are already in” he whispered, pulling me into a secluded corner.

“What danger am I already in?!” I asked, my voice low but urgent. He stroked my face in an attempt to calm me, murmuring, “I will explain when we get to my office, a lobby is not the best place to discuss personal affairs”

I sighed and allowed him to lead me down the front of the lobby. I looked around at all of the wealthy adults with their designer clothes and bags and the typical tourists with their fanny packs and floral shirts. I suddenly began to wish I could be as carefree as them, that Peter and I could just be a typical engaged couple, our greatest care being who we’d invite to the wedding. But then my eyes settled on Ivan and I was reminded all too well that our relationship would always be far from typical. Ivan smirked and gave me a wink, causing me to shiver.

As soon as we got into Peter’s office, I blurted out, “Just tell me everything”

“Janey, just sit down, love, you know you like my chair” he whispered, squeezing my hand as he closed the door behind us.

“I’m not a little kid, Peter, just tell me what danger I’m in” I snapped, glaring up at him.

“Being my wife. Honey, my enemies will always go after my one weakness” he sighed, sitting down on his chair, which was probably the most comfortable desk chair ever. He rested his elbows on his mahogany desk, his forehead against his hands with his eyes closed.

“Great, now I’m a weakness!” I exclaimed, ringing my hands in frustration.

“Jane, you’re not my weakness, it’s my love for you that is, they’ll know that if they threaten you, I will be like a puppet in their hands” he whispered, not opening his eyes.

“Who’s ‘they’, Peter?” I asked, my voice softer. I sat down on one of the chairs on the other side of Peter’s desk, feeling like I was just any other hotel guest.

“Enemies…I’d rather you not be well-versed in these things, ‘ignorance is bliss’ is the right phrase, correct?” his eyes finally opened to gaze down upon me, surprisingly warm.

I nodded, trying to smile, but I just couldn’t find the strength.

“Why don’t I show you your room? We are leaving for Kentucky the day after next and I want you to be caught up on your rest before we leave” he said, standing up and taking my hand once again. I smiled, happy to have his hold.

“Is this room satisfactory for your needs, my darashya?” Peter smirked, dropping my bag on the king-size bed.

“Peter, you know this whole room is as big as my aunt’s house in Kentucky, and a hell of a lot cleaner…and more expensive” I laughed.

“I’ll be back in two hours or so…try to behave yourself” he whispered teasingly, giving me a quick kiss and walking out the door.

Being left all alone in a presidential suite was no reason to pout but I couldn’t help but worry about Peter while I watched all movies that related to mobs, thinking maybe I could learn something about what he did.

Okay, so half-way through the first movie, Goodfellas, I fell asleep. I know, if I was that desperate for information I would have stayed up, but the movie was so boring, just old guys dressed in pinstripe suits threatening and shooting each other.

“Janey…wake up…come on honey…” I heard Peter whisper, but as if from far away.

“Mmm…” I mumbled, rolling over so I was splayed out across the bed.

“Watching movies about mobsters is not the best way to learn any secret information about me” Peter smirked as my vision focused on his evenly carved features, soft as his clear blue eyes stared down at me.

“They were boring anyways” I sighed, sitting up, “None of them were about you”

“I’m flattered, darashya” he smirked, sitting down next to me, taking off his shoes and throwing them aside.

“Peter…we need to talk” I muttered, not looking at him.

“Why do we need to talk when we could be doing something…more productive?” he murmured, holding my face in his hands, bringing my eyes up to meet his.

“No…Peter stop, we really need to talk” I insisted, trying to move away, but I slowly felt myself becoming once again enchanted by his touch.

“About what, Janey?” he murmured, leaning in and kissing my neck.

“Last night, I just wanted to know if everything’s alright with you” I stuttered, not looking at him.

“I really didn't want you to see that” he said, letting out a nervous laugh, “But, at the same time, you’re the only one I can trust to see that”

“I’ve cried in front of you millions of times, you have nothing to be embarrassed of” I smiled up at him, trying to loosen the situation. His soft expression didn't change; he just leaned back on one elbow, so he was on his side, using his other hand to play with loose strands of my hair that weren't being kept in a messy bun.

“It’s different, darashya, I am expected to convey no emotion…but sometimes certain things just get to me…” he explained, his eyes never leaving mine.

“What happened?” I urged, wanting to know what would cause Peter to expel such heartbreaking emotions.

“That man, Shiracoviks, my father told me he was monopolizing all of our cocaine trades, that he must be dealt with, so I went to deal with him…and I did…but as I was leaving…I heard a scream, a scream of pure agony. His wife was crying down by his side as the baby cried upstairs…I watched through the window before finally coming to my senses and running for it” he said, not looking at me anymore, but rather staring into space.

“Peter…I’m so sorry” I murmured, tears running down my face.

“I should be sorry, Janey” he purred, leaning in and kissing my lips, “I shouldn’t have told you that”

“I want to know everything about your life, even if it isn’t pretty” I said, taking one of his hands in both of mine. I squeezed it tightly, causing him to smirk and clasp my hands with his other hand.

“Just seeing that woman and then thinking that could be you…I just thought that if I left you…with a kid…I’d need to know that you are protected” he whispered, kissing my cheek.

“Peter…please can we not talk about that right now?" I whimpered, begging slightly. I loved to believe that Peter was immortal.

"We have to talk about this, Janey, you know it's very possible that I could die at any time...but you have to be strong honey...when we get married all of my money will yours if i die...and Nicolas can take care of you" he said, trying to calm me, but all he was doing was getting me even more riled up.

"Stop it!" I screamed, struggling under his grasp, "You're not dead! You're NOT dead!"

"Darashya..." he soothed, wrapping his arms around me, pulling my writhing body against his chest.

"Please...i want to make this moment live forever, please...can we just enjoy this while it lasts?" I pleaded in my softest of tones, burying my head in his chest.

"Of course, honey, you know I'll always love you" he whispered before pressing his lips against mine.