Sequel: Supernova Love
Status: Active

Whatever Happened To Needing No One?

Chapter Eight

I got off the bus and was approaching the United Center. I had a full morning of classes and was scheduled to work at 2. I glanced at my watch hoping that I would have time to grab something to eat but, just my luck, it’s 1:55. No lunch for Ryah...again. As I turned the last corner on my way to the daycare center I saw Jon coming out of it. He saw me and a smile spread across his face. Do you have some sort of child I don't know about? I asked, causing him to laugh loudly which in turn put a smile on my face.

You’ve been avoiding me. He stated, and he's right. I have been. It’s been three days since my dinner ‘date’ with Jon. He's called me probably two or three times each day but I hit the fuck you button. I don't know why...actually, that's I lie. I do know why. I don't want to let myself get attached to him.

Jon I told you how busy I am!

So? You don't think I'm busy?! You're using school and work as an excuse.

Yes well, speaking of work...I am now officially late. I have to go!
I said as I stepped around him.

Fine! But you're mine tomorrow night. I glanced back at him. I've got a game tonight but I'm free tomorrow and I'm taking you out.

Jon I can’t..

You're late for work! Get in there before they fire you and leave you with one less excuse.
He said with a smirk as he turned and left. I took a deep breath in, shaking that conversation from my head and stepped into the center, making my way to the office.

Ryah! I looked up and saw Megan standing there grinning at me. Great. She was the one Jon had spoken to. I had become pretty good friends with her since I've been here...she wasn’t going to let this go until she was satisfied with my answers.

Hey Megs.

So...someone was just here looking for you.

Oh yah?
I said absentmindedly as I glanced over a few papers in my little mail bin.

Are you not curious as to who that might be?!

Uh uh. I know who it was.
There was a pause as I continued reading the day sheet.

Okay well I'm just gonna ask...are you dating Jonathan Toews?!

No.
I stated simply but, just like I expected, that wasn’t enough for her.

How do you know him?! I mean...yah you work here and he's here like all the time, but I've only ever seen him around here like twice and I've been working here for a year. You've been here for a month and he's up here looking for you!

Oh, well...my sister is dating Adam Burish. I stated deciding that would be better than getting into the whole thing about me living with Brent and the encounters Jon and I have had...not to mention that kiss. That's how I know him.

Huh.

I've got to get in there. I’ll talk to you later Megs.

- - -
I got home around 8 thanks to Brent. He texted me telling me to take his car home instead of the bus and he would get a ride with Adam. So thoughtful, that boy. I picked up the keys along with some dirty looks at the courtesy desk and made it home in 15 minutes. God I love cars. I'm gonna have to get me one of those. Hour long bus rides are pure torture. I made some food and sat my ass down in front of the TV. I had a long friggen day and I damn well deserved to be lazy. I guess I had fallen asleep watching old sex and the city reruns because the next thing I knew I was in mid air being carried into my room. I glanced at Brent. Okay. Maybe I was wrong.

What?
He asked, confused, as he put me on my bed.

I told Jon the other day that I was living with you instead of Steeger because I knew you wouldn't try to put the moves on me while I was sleeping. Guess I was wrong. I said with a smirk.

Oh whatever you tool. Speaking of Lover boy Toews. He said as he handed me a folded up piece of paper. He wanted me to give you this. I took it and rolled my eyes. It says ‘I’ll pick you up at 7. No excuses.’ He stated in a high pitched voice. I laughed.

Were you supposed to be mocking Jon? Because I'm pretty sure you failed. And since when do you feel the need to go reading letters intended for me?

What did you do that kid?

Jon? I didn't do anything to him.

You've got him gone crazy. All he does now is ask me and Burr about you. Well...mostly me. But Ry, the dude is nuts over you.
Hearing Brent say that instantly put butterflies in my stomach. Do us all a favour and put him out of his misery.
- - -
I had texted Jonathan to tell him I couldn't go out with him tonight. I had a little get together with a couple of girls from school that I had forgotten about. We have to start working on an assignment...not that it made a difference. I was going to find a way out of this one way or another. I got to the library and found Jess and Kaitlin at a table off in the corner. Hey guys. I said as I pulled out a chair and sat down.

There you are! We were starting to think you weren’t gonna show. Jess replied. Little did she know that there is no way I was passing up on this.

Yah. I had my roommate drop me off, but he insisted on watching the rest of sports desk. I told them with a little laugh.

Your roommate’s a guy? Kaitlin asked, suddenly interested. Is he cute? I had learned that Kaitlin is one of those girls that is obsessed with guys. She is always on the lookout. We’ll be sitting in class and she’ll nudge me when she sees one walk by the window. She's completely crazy with it comes to that. if there's a hot guy within a five mile radius, she’ll find him.

Yah. I guess he's good looking. I stated. I never really thought about Brent like that, but he does get girls flashing him flirty smiles when we’re out grocery shopping and stuff like that.

Are you two...you know, do you guys..

Negative.
I cut her off. No way. That is not an issue with us.

Why not? If he's cute and living with you it’s kind of convenient right?
Kaitlin persisted.

Yes. But then where would I go to get away from him? We aren't attracted to each other. It is completely not an issue..

At orientation you said you moved from Montana and were living with your sister.
Jess questioned. I sighed and went into my story.

I did. But my sister and her boyfriend, Adam, decided to move in together. Me and Adam kind of just switched apartments and now I'm living with Brent. But...enough about me! let’s get started on this. I was happy that there were no more questions about my life. So...we have to pick an event in history and come up with a lesson plan. I said as I read over the sheet.

Yah. I was thinking we should do the Gold Rush. All the other groups are going to do a war or something like that. This topic should be pretty interesting to learn about and fun to teach as well.Jess said. We all agreed with that and went off to find some books. We split the topic into three sub topics and each began jotting down notes for our part of the project. About an hour it the empty chair beside me was pulled out and someone sat down in it. I glanced up and saw Jonathan smirking at me.

Brent said I’d find you here.

Uh...yah. I'm kind of busy right now.
I said motioning at Kaitlin and Jess who were staring at him with wide eyes. Kaitlin also had her mouth wide open and looked like she was catching flies.

I can see that. Hi girls. I'm Jonathan. He stated, extending his hand out to Kaitlin and then Jess.

Hi. Jess muttered.

Wow. Kaitlin said, still staring at him.

Didn't you get my text? I questioned, sounding more than annoyed.

I did. But did you really think I was going to let you off that easy? I glared at him.

We’re working on something important, Jon.

How long are you going to be?

I don't know! A while!
I exclaimed.

It’s 830. The library closes at 9. You won’t be at this much longer. I’ll wait. He said with a smug look on his face as he proceeded with getting comfortable in his chair. Stupid Brent! We’re going to have to lay down some ground rules about stuff like this.

Ryah...you can go. We’re practically done the research part of this. We won’t be getting to put everything together tonight. I looked up at Kaitlin who had finally found her ability to speak.

See?! Jon said, grinning at me victoriously. I've got perfect timing.

I can think of a few other things you’ve got.
I said bitterly as I packed up my stuff. I’ll see you guys tomorrow. I told Jess and Kaitlin. Come on you pushy pain in the neck. I said as I began walking away. Jon quickly caught up to me. Damn my short little legs. Running away from him would be impossible. He put his hands onto my shoulders and began rubbing.

Let me get rid of that neck pain for you. He said sarcastically.

Would you?! That would be great. His name is Jonathan Toews. I think you know him. He was smirking at me. Tall guy. Plays hockey. Can’t take no for an answer. Before I could continue he had me pushed against the cold brick wall of the library with his mouth attached to mine. Quickly everything I was saying was out of my head and all I could think of was this kiss, his lips on mine. It was complete magic, this kiss. I’d never felt anything like it. The way it got my heart beating, my temperature rising and my whole body tingling. I gripped at his shirt pulling him closer, not that we could get much closer with the way he was holding my hips to his, but I tried regardless. He pulled back slightly with his face inches from mine and it took me a second to shake the fireworks out of my eyes enough to focus on him.

It’s hard to believe that you don't want anything to do with me when you kiss me like that. He said, still holding me close. Finally I found my voice.

I think by definition YOU kissed ME.

Oh and you did what to protest? Pulling me closer doesn't exactly scream stop, Ryah.
He said with that sexy little grin on his face. Come on. He said as he took my hand. I'm starving.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment please! give me some feedback, i'll love it.