Status: Completed, two shot.

On the Run

Broken Smile

I stared at Jenna. At her crying, shaking, whimpering. My fingers found their way to my hair and pushed it back out of my face. My hands stopped half way through my hair and my eyes stared at the carpet. I was ready to pull out every last strand.

I am on the run.

”Daniel, please just come over, please Daniel.”

“Jenna, calm-”

“Come over! Please!” I could hear her voice shaking. She really needed me this time.

“Okay… put your phone on silent, now.” I flipped the phone closed and pulled my jacket off the bed, making a run through my door to the front escape. I reached the front door, then ran back to my kitchen, sloppily taking the biggest knife I had, and left, leaving the door unlocked. I sprinted as fast as I could two streets down to Jenna’s house. I tried my best to not drop the knife and pierce my foot. As soon as I arrived, my ears filled with her dad’s screaming. “Unlock this door, you stupid whore!”

I clicked in the recent calls and pressed the biggest green button when it hit her cell phone number. It didn’t ring once before she picked it up.

“Open the back door,” I told her. “I’ll come in through there.”

“No,” she whimpered. “He’ll get me. I can’t come out of my closet!”

“Jenna, stop screaming, he’ll hear. I need you to unlock it so I can get you out.”

“Okay,” she whispered. Seconds later I saw the knob turn and I pushed open the door. I stared at her. Her lip was bloody, her makeup was smeared, and her phone was gripped so tight in her palm.

“Jenna… are you okay? Oh, god. I’m sorry I didn’t come s-” Her bedroom door slammed open and revealed a tall, grizzly man with a smirk on his face and a paper clip in his hand.

“Run, Jenna. Run to my house.”

“Yeah, you little whore, run and don’t come back.”

I raised the knife at pointed it directly at him. “You shut up. Jenna run, now.”

“No, I’m st-”

“Jenna!” I screamed. “Fucking go!” She smacked my arm and jogged away. I saw his eyes watch her leave. “You make one move and I stab you. She and I get a safe get-a-way and you get no injuries.” He glared at me.

He took a step towards me and I gripped the knife tighter. “I mean it. I will kill you without hesitation.”

He laughed, a dusty, satisfied sound. “Do it. C’mon, kid. Stab me.” I reached my hand behind me, feeling the door frame and slowly backed up. He laughed again and took another step forward. “I knew you wouldn’t. You know you’ll go to jail.”

“Shut up,” I pushed my arm out, jerking the knife towards him as a warning. I took another step back, the back of my shoes hitting the step. I turned slightly, taking another step and was outside of the room. With no warning he ran at me, his hands outstretched. I jabbed the knife straight into his stomach and saw his yes widen. Immediately, I turned and ran as fast as I could to catch up with her.” I am now on the run.
♠ ♠ ♠
Continue?
One-shot it?