Status: Complete

Don't Forget

Epílogo

One Year Later

The warm California air was all around us as Kevin I laid our towels out on the sand. There was a slight breeze to distract from the beating sun, but it wasn't much. My pale skin burns extremely easily so I'd brought plenty of sunscreen. The thing with sunscreen is that it's rather hard to put on your back. That's what boyfriends are for.

"Don't miss my shoulders," I said as Kevin's fingers roamed across my back.

"Don't worry," he replied.

He doesn't burn half as easily as I do so he didn't even bother with the sunscreen. He sprawled out on his towel and smiled warmly at me as I did the same. The waves lapping against the shore made a relaxing soundtrack to our perfect afternoon. Thanks to the fact that the beach was private there was no other noise. It was beautiful, especially when the sun started to set and the sky turned an orangey-pink shade. The sad thing about sunsets is that they mark the end. Sunsets are they end of the day. That meant it was time to go home. I slid my red and black checked sundress over my bathing suit and slipped into my matching red flips flops while Kevin folded the towels and put them in the beach bag.

"Before we leave, can I ask you something?" he said as pulled a t-shirt over his head.

"Sure," I shrugged and fiddled with the red bangles on my wrist.

"Will you marry me?" Kevin asked, and I nearly fell over.

He produced a black velvet box from the pocket of his swim trunks (which would explain why he hadn't wanted to go in the water) and it was all I could to stare, slack jawed, at the beautiful ring inside. Even in the fading sunlight it sparkled magnificently. Kevin's hazel eyes sparkled too, with hope and just a little bit of anxiety.

"Um..." My voice was shaky, "Yes."

Kevin laughed, "Did you really have to think about it?"

"No," I blushed, "I wanted to say yes without stuttering."

"I'm sure that was it," he shook his head playfully.

"Just put the ring on my finger," I giggled at his antics.

"Don't rush me," Kevin smiled, removing the ring from it's velour case.

His hand was warm against mine but the white gold ring was cold as he slid it onto my left hand. I shivered involuntarily. Once the diamond was securely in place, Kevin's hands trailed up my arms to my neck and then he cupped my cheeks, pulling my face closer to his. I didn't have any objections. He kissed me softly and I closed my eyes, completely lost in the moment.

“Did you really just ask me to marry you?” I whispered incredulously as he pulled away to take a breath.

“Did you really just say yes?” Kevin asked as his lips found their way back to mine.

“I love you,” I laughed, pulling back to take a breath of my own.

“And just in case asking you to marry me didn’t make it glaringly obvious,” he grinned, “I love you too Kevynn.”
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END