Rolling Off Your Tongue

Fault

We went through a couple of songs, and Gerard had managed to stop sniffling between songs, and his eyes had lost most of the red coloring to them, leaving little more than pink surrounding his irises. I heard him mumbling into the microphone, "alright. We've got one more song, and I've got to go. Just remember: vampires will never hurt you!" he shouted a little louder, walking towards me, as Ray played the guitar a little harder than usual. He seemed to be so focussed on it, while I was focussing more on Gerard, as he came near me.

"And if they get me and the sun goes down into the ground
And if they get me take this spike to my heart and..
And if they get me and the sun goes down
And if they get me take this spike and..
You put the spike in my heart..."

After this, I completely forgot that anything was happening, even though my fingers were moving, and I was walking around the stage to show enthusiasm. In the distance, I could hear Matt make a mistake on the drums, and the faintest voice of Gerard that led me through the song. My mind was whirling.

What had Gee and Mikey been talking about that I couldn't know? Why did Gee seem upset? Why'd he leave to see Quinn or Bert, instead of them coming over? Most importantly, why was he sniffling when he came here? Did Bert get hurt badly? I rarely saw Gerard cry - really, I haven't since he was depressed and very drunk.

My mind came back to the song, as the final word was sang, and knew it was time to stop playing. For a few seconds, I just stood there with a dumb expression, barely managing to pull Pansy's strap over my head without dropping it. I probably would have, if not for Mikey pulling it from my hands, and leading me off the stage.

Once I had gotten off stage, Mikey kissed me on the forehead, and walked off to take care of his bass and my guitar. During the first second that he was gone, I had already located Gerard, and hurried over to his side, where he was now rubbing new tears from his eyes. "Gee? What's wrong? And don't say 'nothing' this time!" I quickly added.

Gerard stared at me for a long while, his eyes seeming to sooth me, yet send my body into alarm. "Frank..." he mumbled lowly, "Bert's hurt... and is in the hospital... and worst part of it is that it's my fault."