Status: Finished.

One Mistake can go a Long Way

The Story.

When I set out to school this morning I never expected to be seated in the principles office at half past three, awaiting my parents’ arrival and possibly the worse beating of my life.

The principle looked up at me from his desk; he was sifting through a folder I now assumed was my school records. Up until now I had not received one single demerit, now this one would haunt me for the rest of my days. Don’t get me wrong, I do deserve to be punished, of course. What I did was wrong and I’d do anything to take back these last few hours and start over, perhaps I’d fake a sickness, yes that would get me out of this. But it was too late, far too late, what had been done was done and now there was no turning back. I suppose when I look back later, this will all be quite funny, something to laugh about with my friends, if I still have friends after this.

The door swung open with a loud squeak. I looked behind me; my parents stared straight ahead at the principle. They had straight faces making it impossible to tell if they were mad or just surprised. I wondered if the principle had told them why I was here, no doubt they had already realized it wasn’t good, especially from the principles tone of voice.

I had heard the telephone conversation from the hallway. My principle sounded very grave. I guess he couldn’t believe that i would ever start swearing, especially to a teacher, as much as I could believe it myself.

I heard the gasps of horror on the other line (no doubt they had the phone on speaker) as the principle told them the reason for the call. They couldn’t believe it either! Of course not, who would ever think that their goody two shoes of a daughter would ever swear at a teacher.

The principle had not spoken up till this point, now he folded up my personal records, stood up and beckoned for my parents to come and sit down. And extra chair had been added beside the desk for me to sit in.

I walked over not knowing what was about to unfold, but dreading it all the same. The principle started off by saying what a wonderful student I was and how up until now i was one of the teacher’s favorite students.

A pang of guilt hit me in the stomach at what seemed to be a thousand miles per hour. I was a favorite, up until now. Had this one mistake cost me the respect of my teachers, peers and most importantly my family.

I had one younger brother, Eddy. What a great influence I was! How could I have let this happen? Mentally i started hitting myself on the head as if this would help solve the problem. Unfortunately it didn’t.

The principle and my parents all turned to face me.

“Do you have anything to say for yourself, Clarissa?” he asked me. Did I? I already knew what I did was wrong, and I would try my hardest not to ever let it happen again. But then I thought to myself, would i have the strength not to? My friends talked me into it once; they could always do it again. I heard them swear everyday, those words were practically embedded into my brain, occasionally I faltered, if I stubbed my toe on the corner of my bed, I may let slip shit, but those times were accidents, I never meant to swear, but I never really had the strength to stop. I tried everything, from sugar to shivers, anything to erase those words from my head, a way to replace them with something better. It never worked though, but I kept at it, surely I would never say something a foul as fuck. That I knew would never happen.

But I was wrong. The one word I promised myself I would never pronounce in my entire existence had left my mouth. Those four letters had come out one after another so easily, so fluently, like I had been speaking them my whole life. Well, I had, just never in that order. Unfortunately when those words had managed to escape my lips, it had been the teacher I was speaking to.

.~.

This morning I woke up and looked out my window, just like any other day. I got dressed, just like any other day. But this was no ordinary day, as you already know.

I rushed downstairs, my father had already left for work and my mother was standing by the stove cooking what smelt like bacon and eggs. My mother often cooked me treats for my breakfast, but this was my favorite. My mother’s bacon and eggs were the absolute best in the world. As I sat down I made a mental note to be extra good today, to make up for the wonderful breakfast.

My brother Eddy ran down the stairs just a few minutes after me. He was six years old but only a head shorter than me. He sat down opposite me and we patiently awaited the delicious bacon and eggs that were currently sizzling on the stove.

“So, Ed, what have you been doing in school lately?” I asked my brother.

“Nothing, much,” he replied, “We’ve’ been learning new words, its no that great. So preppy!” he sighed.

“Your only in grade one,” I laughed.

“Exactly, I’ve matured by at least one year. I think I should be shown a little more respect,’ he sighed again and slumped back in his chair.

Not only was he tall for his age, he was also like a child genius, good at everything; he was the most popular boy in he first year at his primary school. Sometimes I wish I were like him, but in a girl version.

If a popular person didn’t swear, no one else would, thinking that it was un-cool. But if an un-cool person didn’t swear (like me) then absolutely everyone would follow in the popular peoples footsteps and try to make you swear. Kids can be so cruel.

“Hello? Anyone home?” My brother snapped me out of my thoughts. “Were you even listening to a word I said?”

Unbeknown to me, Eddy had continued with his speech on how six year olds should be shown more respect. He was acting as if I’d missed the best speech of a lifetime, just because he used (as the teaches like to cal them) big kid words.

“Sorry Eddy, I was thinking,” I apologized.

“What is more important than listening to me?” Eddy said outraged.

“Lots of things Edd, lots of things? I laughed.

Our mum came to the table them and placed two plates of bacon and eggs on the table. She past me and Eddy a knife and fork each, then told us to enjoy, but don’t take to long because we’ll be late for school.

We ate in silence, Eddy was still mad at me, for tuning him out and I had gone back to thinking.

I had never, before now, realized how much more I had to think about before entering high school. I never before cared what my hair looked like or what shoes I wore, or how I spoke. Everything just came naturally, I was me and that’s all I ever had to be. Before High school, no one had ever told me to swear before, but now I was bombarded with questions of ‘why I didn’t swear’ and people telling me to swear everyday. They wanted me to, don’t ask me why, they just did. I guess they just had a problem with anyone being different. And I was different, I got straight A’s, I loved math and of course, I never swore, until today of course.

After breakfast, I brushed my teeth, still thinking. If only I had more time to think. Sleep was a good time, but I barley had any of that anymore. My friends and I would stay up all night chatting on msn and if I said I had to go to bed, they’d just laugh at me. Tons of loll’s and lmao’s would appear on the screen and I’d start to feel embarrassed and very self conscious. So I’d stay on, not wanting to have to face school the next day if I didn’t.

So there I was brushing my teeth, probably the longest time I’ve ever stayed in the bathroom. I had a childhood fear of the bathroom and when I was younger I would only brush my teeth if someone else was in the room with me and even then I leave as soon as possible. But I had grown out of that fear; my friends had taunted me for however long, and one day I just stopped.
A bell tolls in the distance.

Oh, shoot, I thought to myself. That’s the schools first bell. I’m going to be so late. I ran down stairs, taking the steps two at a time. I rushed into the kitchen my mum was busy cleaning. I said goodbye and ran off to school.

.~.

As I got closer, I slowed my speed to a steady jog. No doubt my friends would congratulate me on my outstanding performance. No one ever had the courage to be late for one of Mr. Mandy’s classes. No one would want to.

As I heard the second bell I started to run full pelt towards the school. My locker was closest to the classroom. I ran towards my locker, tripping on the way and slamming my self into the one next to it. I groaned, but there was no time to stop and rest.

I opened my locker and grabbed my books stuffing my bag into the empty space. I was already at least five minutes late; I hoped they hadn’t marked the role yet.

My footfalls echoed off the classroom walls. The school was bare; everyone was either inside a classroom or outside on the ovals somewhere.

I reached the classroom, knocked on the door (I wouldn’t be able to sneak in, of that I was sure) and entered the room. Mr. Mandy was calling out the role.

“Your late,” he barked, stopping with the name just before mine on the role.

“Sorry sir, lost track of the time,” I headed towards the back of the classroom were there were a few empty seats.

As I walked past my friends stared, opened mouthed but clearly bursting to cheer, one was practically of his seat, Paul.

I sat down and Mr. Mandy continued with the role.

“Hey, what took you so long?” My friend, Emily asked.

“I was brushing my teeth,” I whispered back.

My friends burst out laughing; I would never hear the end of this one, brushing my teeth, brilliant.

.~.

Mr. Mandy confronted me after class; he had never known me to be late for class, on any given day. I apologized and went out to snack.

I found my friends waiting for me on the oval at our usual sitting spot.

There were five of us. Emily, Paul, Alice, Jamie and me. I sat down between Emily and Jamie. Emily had been my best friend since third grade and I had know Jamie since kindy. We only met Alice and Paul last year, because we went to different primary schools.

This is when it all started, this exact moment, I blame myself for it really, I shouldn’t have brought it up. But then if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have learnt a very important lesson.

“So, what did Mr. Mandy want to talk to you about?” Alice asked.

“Isn’t it obvious, Clarissa’s little stunt back there, she wasn’t really brushing her teeth, I bet she was here at the usual time and was late on purpose, trying to be more cool are you Claire?”
Paul snickered, he always teased me.

“No,” I defended myself, “I was brushing my teeth, and I had things to think about. I just didn’t realize the time ticking bye. Mr. Mandy was just surprised, that’s all.”

I started munching on my muesli bar and spoke between mouthfuls.

“Teachers are always like that, you do one thing you don’t usually do and they start getting all suspicious, they never let us do anything,” I sighed, it was kind of true.

“Yeah, I totally agree,” piped up Jamie, it’s like swearing.”

There, that’s where the conversation started and it finished in the worst way possible.

“Yeah,” said Alice, “What is wrong with ‘shit?”

I shuddered at the word; did they always have to say it? And so easily to, like they had been saying it their whole lives. I didn’t know why it got to me so much, my parents had always spoke against it, it was forbidden at home, especially because of Eddy. It’s always been like that, and I wouldn’t want it to change.

“Yeah,” agreed Emily, she didn’t swear as much as the others but still enjoyed it.

And then it really started. “Why don’t you swear, Clarissa?” Jamie asked.

“Um… I just don’t like to,” I said embarrassed.

“Why, it’s cool” Paul said, he always used swear words whenever he could, it made me wonder why we were friends. Because of Jamie, Jamie wanted to be friends and the only way we could be friends was if Paul was to.

“Oh, lets play truth or dare,” Squealed Alice.

I know what your thinking, how could a game of truth or dare turn into the worst day of my life? Well just like this.

“Okay,” agreed Paul, “I’ll go first, shall I? Clarissa! Truth or dare?”

“Um… I’m not really in the mood; “ I finished my muesli bar and stuck the wrapper in my pocket.

“Oh, come on Clarissa! Just once,” Alice pleaded.

“Oh, fine,” I resigned, “Just once then.”

“Awesome!” Paul shouted, “Okay then, truth or dare?”

“Um… dare,” I mumbled. The only reason I said dare was because I knew my darkest secrets were not something I wanted my friends to know, they were for my head and my head
only—perhaps my diary to, but only on special occasions.

“Dare, great!” Jamie propped up onto his knees. “Lets see.”

“Hey,” Paul said, “This is my turn!”

“Oh, fine” Jamie pouted.

“Okay then dare—dare—dare—dare—dare? A good dare? What is a good dare?”

“Just get on with it,” screamed Emily.

“Okay—okay. Um… okay, I got one,” Paul crossed his legs. “I dare you… to whenever you get
mad, you have to say the WORST swear word you know, but it has to make sense.”

“NO WAY, I’m not doing that! Anything but that,” I shouted crossing my arms.

“Why? You chicken?” said Alice. Does she even have a side?

“Yeah, maybe I am!” I said indignantly.

“Fine! Then you have to kiss Jamie!” Paul laughed.

“What! NO.”

‘Take it or leave it, there your only choices. And you can’t back out, you picked dare…ha!” he added at the end, continuing into an evil laugh like they did in the movies.

“Okay! Fine, I’ll swear!” I finally shouted. There was no way around it, if I didn’t pick one they would hassle me all day. All I had to do was not swear, I mean how hard could it be? I had been doing it my whole life.

The bell rang and we all headed to science.

“Come in class, we haven’t got all day” Mrs. Adams shouted through the open window.

We filed in one after another, that’s all the space he door would allow. Science was in C block. It smelt terrible and had no air conditioning.

We sat in our appointed chairs. Mrs. Adams was strict and didn’t like noise in her class.
She gave us our work and told us that there should be no talking during class, as usual.
I looked down at my sheet, the words were dancing on the page, my head began to loll to the side and my eyelids dropped. I slipped into unconsciousness. How could you blame me though? The sheet was boring! Very boring.

I awoke to shouting and lots of laughter. My eyelids snapped open when I realized were I was.
Most of the class was staring at me, including the teacher. But some people had taken the opportunity to talk, but not many. I mean who could resist laughing at an asleep person. Probably no me I had the chance. Not to be mean or anything, its just funny is all.
Still, my face was going a very pal shade of red, luckily not to dark to look like I had been in the sun to long.

“WHAT… IS… THIS???” Mrs. Adams looked like she was going to burst. And, in a way, I guess she did.

She started shouting, the most I’ve ever heard in my life. I didn’t know she hated people sleeping in her class that much. Mind you, she was pretty strict.

Get ready, this is the moment. This is when my whole schooling life changed, for the worse.

I don’t know what came over me; I just couldn’t take it anymore. My mouth formed the words, like I had no control over my actions, no free will. “SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BITCH,” I shouted at the top of my lungs, “IT’S NOT LIKE YOU HAVEN’T FUCKING FALLEN ASLEEP BEFORE.”

The whole class went quiet, and I mean literally quiet, no the conversations get really quiet. But, complete dead silence. It was eerie and strange. Everyone was staring at me, for a moment I didn’t realize why, but then I did and everything came crashing down.

Mrs. Adams spoke at the top of her voice, much louder than me; it was like she did opera in another life.

“TO THE PRINCIPLE’S OFFICE, CLARRISA. I’M VERY DISSAPOINTED IN YOU, NOW!!!!!” she pointed her finger to the door.

My heart was thumping, faster than it’s thumped before. I left the classroom; the dead silence followed me out the door. I didn’t hear noise at all; they were still dumbstruck, just like me.

“Do you have anything to say for your self? He asked me. I looked around the room, my parents stared at me with concerned looks on their faces, like they though I was going to lash out again.

“No sir,” I said with more confidence than I felt, “I’d like to say, it won’t happen again, but unfortunately I can’t be sure of that. I deserve any punishment to decide to dish out. I’m sorry” I bowed my head; I must admit I was very ashamed of my actions.

The principle sniffed, “Well, at least your honest,” he grunted, “Instead of a suspension, I’ll just give you two weeks of detention, every day at lunch.

What!?! I almost wanted to scream. But I heard my parents’ sighs of relief and though, well, it’s the best I could have hope for. And now I can dare Paul to kiss Alice and he can’t say no, not that he’d want to.

So that’s it, the story of my life, for one day. It’s also a story of how I’ll never swear again, no matter what people say. I’m the only boss of me!