‹ Prequel: Calling Carter.
Status: Active

Unknown Calling

Constable

With a frown I sat up. Carter reluctantly let his arm slide off me, fingers trailing over my loose hair. I took the phone with murmured thanks to Adam, took a deep breath, and said hello.

“Hello, miss…?” The quiet voice on the other end of the phone was formal and polite, but carried the authority all police voices have. I immediately imagined a tall dark haired man with a blank face and eyes that had learned to be empty.

“Call me Silah,” I said a little impatiently.

“Silah. My name is Constable Fraser. I’m afraid I’ll have to ask you to come down to the station. I have some questions for you.” He almost sounded nervous just then.

My blood ran cold. “When? I have to go back to school soon.” I stayed calm. This could be about Mum, who was still recovering in hospital.

“Any time suits. I don’t work Sundays, so you’re okay for tomorrow. How about Monday after school?”

“Sounds fine,” I said quietly. “I’ll see you then.”

“Thank you, Silah. Bye for now.”

I hung up, feeling like I was moving in slow motion.

“Si?” Carter rose from the couch, movie forgotten. “They want to see you?”

I nodded, then forced a half smile onto my face. “Wonder what for.”

As if on a hidden cue, Adam, Carter and I all looked at Kala, still sound asleep on the couch in Adam’s lap. I smiled, knowing she was doing okay. Since my Mum was still in hospital, I was staying with Carter and Kala. Layny was amazing and I loved her, just like the rest of my new family. I slept in Kala’s room, because I knew she was still waking up with nightmares every now and again. At least she didn’t need sleeping pills anymore.

She was healing well, too. Her wrist was healing faster than expected and her shoulders didn’t ache nearly so much. The stitches had all been removed and the cuts were fading to faint scars.

Carter looked back at me. “What will you say?”

I looked at him. “That I know nothing,” I said softly. “It’s easy to fall off a cliff in the dark.” Adam knew what I had done the night we saved Kala. I was taking the blame for it completely, because though Carter had helped, it was my idea. I had said I’d kill Caidan if I had to, and I did. I slowly walked back to the couch. “If someone goes down for this, it’s gonna be me.” I said firmly, looking at Carter.

He met my stare with a stubborn one of his own. He was about to argue but Adam interrupted. “Shush, guys, you’ll wake Kala up. Are we going to finish the movie?”

I saw Carter’s posture relax a little as I moved closer. “Yeah,” I said, as I sat back down on the couch. As Carter pulled me into his lap and back within the circle of his arms, we both whispered “sorry,” at the same time. Smiling, we continued watching the movie, but I couldn’t help wondering what would happen with the police on Monday. I hoped I could pull ‘innocent’ off.

The last thing I remember was Carter stroking my hair, and then I woke up on the couch. Kala and Adam were gone, and the TV was switched off. I opened my eyes to find Carter looking down at me.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey. Did I fall asleep?” I asked with a good natured frown.

He nodded with a grin. “Missed the end of the movie,” he added. “It sucked anyway, though.”

The movie we had been watching was a horror/thriller, One Missed Call. The tune from the haunted cellphone’s ringtone was in my head, and I started to hum it quietly.

“Maybe it’s a good thing I missed it. Where are Kala and Adam?” I asked, remembering they were gone.

“Adam carried Kala into her room once the movie finished. Didn’t come down,” he grinned, and I pushed him, laughing. He was such a boy sometimes.

“Wait. How long ago was that?” How long had I been asleep?

“About half an hour ago. You drifted off a good twenty minutes before the end,” he kissed my nose. “You’re cute when you sleep. Very peaceful.”

“I didn’t even know I was tired,” I mused, shifting closer to him. I loved waking up next to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! finally! yay! sorry for the wait :)