As Time Went By, Faith In You Grew

One and Only;

What started out as siring hot water, beating down on my skin a good forty minutes ago, has now turned ice cold, mirroring my life ironically. It was as if I was on top of the world and everything was perfect; I was unstoppable. Within a blink of an eye, my world had shattered around me in tiny little pieces. My once happy life came crashing down on top of me, smothering me underneath it all.

You know, like in the old cartoons when Tom would pull the tablecloth off of the table to try to catch the escaping Jerry, and all the expensive glass and china would come crashing down on the floor? My life was the china, and the man who took it all away from me was Tom, and now I had evolved into the miserable homeowner who would arrive back from running errands to find my house a mess, and Tom was to blame.

But this is reality; I am a real person, and the man who broke me isn’t a cat.

His name is Frank, the one I spent almost five years of my life with. The one who I had intended on marrying; the one person I had ever truly loved.

The one person who I’d never expect to do the unrespectable.

But I’ve obviously been proved wrong.

I had a long, stressful day at work, and the one person that could cheer me up, I knew I would see the instant I walked in the door.

But as I pulled my key from the door and turned the handle to walk in, screams were audible.

Erotic screams.

I didn’t know what to expect as I entered the house, quickly throwing my purse and keys aside. As I ran up the stairs, the screams got louder, and they were cascading from our room.

As I rounded the last corner and appeared in the doorway of the familiar room, the breath escaped my lungs with a loud gasping noise.

No, I’m dreaming. My eyes are deceiving me. Please, please tell me this isn’t happening.

“Who’s she?” the unfamiliar girl asked, giving me a dirty look.

“I might ask you the same question, Frank,” I shot back, my voice trembling.

“Look, I can explain-“ he started.

“Save it,” I interrupted, walking into the room. “You better get the fuck out of my house before I kill you,” I looked directly at the slut on my bed. “And if it’s not perfectly obvious for you, Frank, we’re through. Pack up your shit and get out; I never want to see your face around here again.”

With that, I walked out of the room and out the front door. I didn’t know where I was going, but it was somewhere far enough away from here.


“Lizz! You’ve been in there for almost an hour! Hurry up and get ready, I wanna leave soon!” Fionna shouted to me as she continuously pounded on the door.

“I’ll be right out!” I called back, quickly shutting off the shower. I grabbed one of the few towels off the shelf in the bathroom, quickly drying off my arms and legs, before wrapping my hair in another towel to dry.

My bestfriend Fionna suggested one day that we move, far away from the place which would bring back painful memories every time I took a breath or blinked an eye. From then on, it was our mission to find a new place to live. This was the perfect time to move somewhere we both loved, and it was an easy agreement to settle on-the beach. So that’s when it had been decided, we’d be moving halfway across the country to a town called Huntington Beach in California. I loved the warm weather and the sunny skies, plus it was far enough away from him. It was probably the best decision I’ve ever made; the move was like a new beginning to me. But removing the painstaking memory from my brain is like someone trying to erase permanent marker from a piece of paper: impossible.

I haven’t trusted anybody but Fionna since that day, which was almost a year ago now. I still couldn’t manage to smile as often as I’d like to, and I didn’t get out too often. I enjoyed bundling up under the blankets, relaxing and watching movies all day. I worked from our home, which made it even easier to make excuses for why I couldn’t go out.

But tonight was different. Tonight, Fionna was forcing me to go clubbing with her.

And quite frankly, it sounded like a nightmare.

I slowly stepped into my new lavender clubbing dress, which I was forced to go shopping for earlier today. I didn’t want to admit it, but I liked it, and I looked good in it. As much as I tried to fake not liking it, I couldn’t resist-I had to have it. I quickly applied eyeliner to my eyes and blush to my cheeks before putting a stunning red tinted stain on my lips. I ran to the bathroom to quickly dry my long, beach blonde and brunette hair before strapping on my silver stilettos and walking downstairs.

“Goodness, Lizz,” Fionna was shocked. “You look stunning. I bet you’ll be getting laid tonight.”

“Thanks, but I doubt it,” I shook my head, laughing.

“Guys would be stupid to turn you down wearing this!”

“Huh, you’re so funny! Let’s just go and get this over with,” I sighed, walking out the front door and out to her slate gray Infinity G37.

We drove down the streets of Huntington a little too quickly, but it seems everyone around here does the same thing, so I was getting used to it. People in California love to drive fast, especially on the freeway. That is, when it’s not at a dead stop during rush hour.

We talked for the short fifteen minutes we were in the car together before pulling up in front of a crowded, glamorous club. As I stepped out of the car, there were cameras flashing everywhere as if I were a celebrity and this was the Golden Globe Awards.

But in reality, I’m just a 21-year old girl from the Midwest at a fancy night club.

“What’re you waiting for? Let’s go!” Fionna grabbed my wrist, dragging me into the club.
As we walked in, the blaring music engulfed my ears, taking me by surprise. There were people everywhere dancing, and there were strippers of both genders up on podiums attached to poles.

I should’ve known.

I couldn’t help but to take in the scene playing around me; it was like something you’d see in a movie. But this was better; it was reality.

We made our way up to a bar and quickly ordered drinks. I wasn’t too big on drinking, but tonight was a night I was actually going to live life.

And to think I didn’t even want to be here tonight.

The bartender quickly filled our order before we were off to the dance floor, making our way into the sea of people. I was surprised at how much fun this actually was; I expected to be miserable. But now that I was on the dance floor, it was almost impossible to convince me to go sit down at a table.

I had just finished dancing, well, it was more like Fionna dragged me off the dance floor, when I was him.

His eyes a beautiful brown, his black locks glinting against the lights, his muscular frame in full view, wrapped around one of the poles, and not to mention, his smile was stunning and seductive.

He was gorgeous.

There were only a few tables left available at the busy club, and luckily, one was open right next to where he was dancing. I quickly headed over to the open table and took a seat, still staring up at him and all his beauty.

Damn, I’m really happy I came now.

Fionna was only a few paces behind, sitting down shortly after I did, following my gaze.

“You’re totally checking him out,” she pointed out, tearing my gaze away from him momentarily.

“I’m not denying it, either. He’s-“

“Dead sexy!” she interrupted, laughing.

I laughed and diverted my gaze upon him once more, this time, our eyes meeting each other’s. It felt as if I couldn’t breathe, he took my breath away. Once I’d catch someone looking at me, I’d instantly look away.

But not this time.

I wanted him to know I was looking at him. And I wanted him all to myself.

I wanted him all to myself? Did I really just think that? Indeed I did.

He held my gaze for what felt like forever, and I didn’t want to look away. Before I knew it, he was jumping off his podium and walking toward me.

“Like what you see?” he breathed. “Because I know what I’m looking at is stunning.”

I shook my head, biting my lip. He was too attractive for his own good. “I’m Lizz,” I added, sounding like an idiot. It was as if I’ve lost all ability to flirt, and now was not the time to be lacking flirting skills.

“Well Lizz,” he said, running his fingers through my hair, sending chills down my spine, “I’m Brian. Come dance with me.”

He gently grabbed my hand and lead me back toward the podium, hoisting me up onto it before climbing back up himself.

Usually, I would be trembling with fear at the thought of a large group of people staring at me. But tonight, it was as if all my fears have suddenly disappeared. Brian made me feel so comfortable, and I’d only known him for a minute, at most.

He was definitely the definition of sexy. If you were to look up the word ‘sexy’ in the dictionary, his face would be plastered next to the word. I couldn’t divert my gaze anywhere besides him. My eyes were glued to him, as his eyes were to me. We danced until the early hours of the morning as people slowly vacated the once busy night club.

“Once I get off work, I’d like to take you to dinner, if you don’t mind,” he smiled, still dancing.

“Would it still be considered dinner, or would it be breakfast now?” I asked stupidly.

“Hmm…good point. Either way, I’d be my pleasure to take you out,” his smile never faltering.

“Like a…a date?” I stuttered.

“Indeed,” he stepped closer, quickly pecking my cheek. “Do you wanna go?”

“Sure, of course, I’d love to,” I smiled back.

After about twenty minutes, the club was completely vacant, which was an odd sight, on account it was completely packed out just an hour ago.

“Alright, now that everyone’s gone, I’m free to leave. Let me go put some clothes on, and then I’ll be back out here,” he explained, walking away.

“You could leave your clothes off, I don’t mind,” I grumbled under my breath.

“Hmm? Did you say something?” he asked.

“Uhh…no, I didn’t…” I stammered, trying to cover up what I had previously said. He simply nodded, walking away.

“You looked sexy up there tonight, Lizz!” Fionna whistled, making me laugh. I took a quick spin around the pole, showing off my skills. “So what were you guys up there talking about all night?”

“Well, he’s taking me on a date after this-“ I was interrupted by Fiona’s shrieking.

“A date?! I told you that you’re gonna get laid tonight!” she pointed out.

“No, we’re going out to eat, you idiot!” I added, spinning around the pole again.

“You know, you’d make a good stripper. You can surely work that pole,” a familiar male voice called out from the other end of the club.

“He secretly wants you to work his pole!” Fionna whispered, making me almost fall over laughing.

“Well Fee, I’ll see you back at home, we’re gonna go eat now,” I reminded her, jumping off the podium.

“Yeah, eat each other!” she whispered again.

I shook my head, walking away. “Love you!”

“Love you too!” she called back, a few feet behind us.

When we got to the door, Brian held it open for both of us. We walked over to the valet attendant and quickly got our cars. The familiar G37 pulled up, closely followed by a sleek black BMW, presumably Brian’s. We quickly walked over to the BMW and got in, Brian opening and closing the door for me.

He’s such a gentleman.

“So, what exactly is open this early in the morning?” I asked, noticing it was almost 3am.

“I hope you don’t think this is tacky, but there’s a Denny’s down the street. I was guessing we could head over there, unless you don’t want to,” he suggested.

“Denny’s it is!” I cheered, sounding like a 10-year old, causing Brian to laugh.

---

“See, I’ve always loved Denny’s. You could go there at any time of day and the food is always good,” he chuckled.

“Agreed,” I added.

“So, I was wondering…” he started as we walked out to his car. “Would you like me to take you home, or would you like to come back to my place? We could watch a movie or something, because I don’t want you to think that all I want is sex-“

“I enjoy movies. Let’s head back to your place,” I smiled. “Plus, you don’t come off as the type that would do all this just for a one night stand.”

“Here’s the reality of things: I haven’t had a successful relationship in over a year, and even after knowing you for a few hours, I’ve grown interested in you. But please don’t think I’m a creep for saying this, I’ve never been immediately attracted to someone like I am to you,” he said as we drove back to his house.

“Here’s the reality of things,” I quoted him. “You just said everything that’s on my mind. I moved out here about a year ago because I walked in on my boyfriend of five years and some slut having sex in our bed. I couldn’t believe it; that’s the day I decided it was time to make a new start. Fee and I ended up moving out here a few weeks after that incident, and I haven’t even really talked to a guy, besides you, since then. So for me to already have as much trust in you that I do right now is…shocking, I guess you could say.”

“You’re perfect,” he muttered.

“Did you say something?”

“You’re perfect. How could a guy ever do something like that to someone like you?”

I was awestruck and didn’t know what to say. I felt my face getting hot as a smile played on my lips, leaving me incapable of speaking. He grabbed my left hand and didn’t let go the entire drive back to his house.

The rest of the car ride was silent, but it wasn’t one of those awkward silences when people don’t know what to say; it was a comfortable silence. Before I knew it, we were pulling up in front of a rather large house, or at least it was large for a single person to live in.

“We’re here,” he spoke, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. He quickly rushed around the front of the car to open my door, just like a gentleman.

“Why thank you, kind sir,” I nodded as he grasped my hand again.

“Anything for you,” he answered, making me blush.

We quickly made it inside, leaving me speechless. “It’s…it’s beautiful,” I stumbled over my words.

“Thank you, so are you.”

I was left speechless once again, not knowing how to respond to something like that. Even Frank wasn’t this sweet, which made me wonder why I had ever stayed with him.

Brian lead me toward a large room just beyond the kitchen, housing a big flat screen TV, and what looked like every DVD known to mankind.

“And I thought I had a lot of movies,” I gasped, looking over all the movies.

“You’re really into movies, huh?” he asked.

“Whenever I’m not working, I’m watching movies,” I chuckled, slightly embarrassed.

“Story of my life.”

“No way! It’s impossible for a guy like you to stay cooped up all day and watch movies.”

“I would think the same about you. I’m surprised no guy has tried to claim you as their own yet.”

“I’m surprised that you don’t constantly have girls hanging all over you.”

“Well,” he started, “there’s constantly girls trying to get my attention at the club whenever I work. But you’re the only one who’s ever really caught my full attention, and I’m quite glad you did.” He finished his statement with a warm embrace. I thought I would’ve gotten high off his scent; he smelled amazing.

Everything about him was amazing.

“So,” he asked, still holding me, “what movie would you like to watch?”

“I don’t mind, we could watch a movie, or just regular TV. Either one works for me,” I said as a wave of sleepiness washed over me, causing me to yawn.

“You tired?” he questioned.

“A bit, but I’ll be alright-HEY!” I shrieked as he lifted me up and carried me over to the sofa.

“I’ll be right back, let me go grab a blanket.”

He returned momentarily with a blanket in his arms, quickly draping it over my body as I laid on his sofa, staring at whatever was on the TV. He crawled under the blanket beside me, wrapping his arms around my torso, pulling me close to his body. The slow, steady rhythm of his heartbeat was enticing me into darkness as my eyelids fluttered shut, almost asleep.

“Mmm, Lizz, are you still awake?” Brian’s voice broke through the wall of darkness.

“Yes Brian?”

“I know this is a bit soon, but I don’t think I can wait. I want to be the one to make you happy, the one you lay next to at night; I want you to be mine. Would you…be my girlfriend?”

I turned over in my spot on the sofa so I could face him. “Of course, I would love to be your girlfriend,” I answered, butterflies quickly filling my stomach.

His lips gently landed on mine in a sweet kiss before the two of us were encompassed in sleep, holding each other tightly in one another’s arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lizz was complaining that there were no male strippers named Brian Haner Jr. in Don't Change The Way You Think Of Me, so I decided to write a one-shot, just for her, so she could have her male stripper (: